Eric Atreides

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What a ridiculous headline (middlebrow and mid-budget don't mean the same thing, NYT). In this scenario, if Frozen 2 is playing on 5-6 screens, that leaves 10 playing something else. I just looked at 13-plex closest to my job, besides Frozen 2, today they're playing 21 Bridges, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Good Liar, Last Christmas, Harriet and even one screening of Black and Blue. I didn't even count Ford v Ferrari or Midway given that their budgets might push them into "blockbuster" territory. The weekly counts show non-blockbusters routinely being released in thousands of theaters. Do they play as much as comic book adaptations or franchise movies, maybe not, but it's not nothing and theaters will keep playing what people show up to see.

55 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The media really does suck nowadays. Clickbait headlines and misinformation run rampant.

You know a Disney blockbuster was just released when the articles about the so-called death of the mid-budget movie are coming in. See all of you again in about a month when The Rise of Skywalker opens.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You know a Disney blockbuster was just released when the articles about the so-called death of the mid-budget movie are coming in. See all of you again in about a month when The Rise of Skywalker opens.

Well I mean is it unfair that those articles come when the reason comes around. 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

The experience of really sold out shows is getting rarer and rarer due to that fact. 

Endgame had sold out showings this year. Another one that did the same was with Deathly Hallows back in 2011.

Both of those films were:

• Conclusion to a saga that spanned across a decade (Infinity Saga took 11, Harry Potter was 10)
  • Had a huge opening weekend
  • Became the highest grossing film of all time for said studio and of that year
  • Has a large fanbase and following (of course, it's still going on to this day)

I don't know what you mean by sold out shows getting rarer to achieve. If you mean by there hasn't been a sold out showing for a film in a long time, then that I can understand. 

Just out. Movie is fantastic. Much funnier than the first but overall much more serious. Music overall is fantastic just no iconic song like the first. Too much information. Should have been 2 movies. More adult content than the first, but a bit harder to follow for younger kids. Olaf is fantastic in it. A few gaping holes by obvious cut scenes to shorten the movie.

8.5/10. Light years better than Lion King.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, AndyK said:

That mass brawl was actually at a Frozen2 screening.

Good job there were lots of police on hand monitoring Joker movie down the hall to break it up.

I will never get over the media's pathetic hysterics involving Joker. And no I'm not talking about CNN articles, which is connected to WB of course. Some people pretend that CNN were the only ones writing the bad articles in order to dismiss Joker fans complaints of the ridiculous media coverage but that is very much untrue. A lot of media with no connection to WB got in on the action.

I really think (some) people are underestimating the effect of the calendar on legs. There is an awful lot of business that’s missing from this weekend because people are waiting to see it over the holiday 5-day. Even if days 11+ are normal that should make the multiplier easily 3.5+, with 4 pretty easy to see.  

Edit: Haha, just read the in between pages to see that the “Good Luck” gif was sincere and not “haha, no way” (an unfortunately very common meaning of “good luck” online). Thanks for the well wishes then. I am optimistic, but it wouldn’t be the first time optimism for this movie has lead me astray :ph34r:

Edited by Thanos Legion

Love how you can tell who hasn’t read the brawl article by if they think the brawl was actually related to Frozen in any way...    

Clickbait headlines and a culture of only reading the headline are problems individually, but also combine for particularly ignorant results.

• Like 1

Still looking at low 20's drop at worst. I am expecting sales to taper down. but will check in 3 hours or so to get like for like comparison. But it wont be perfect as yesterday things were very slow for me. Still I feel it could eek out another mil from Charlie's update.

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yay, Frozen keep making more money so I can get a Frozen 3 😛

That is given considering how big the brand is. I wont be surprised by a Disney+ show at some point as well.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I really think (some) people are underestimating the effect of the calendar on legs. There is an awful lot of business that’s missing from this weekend because people are waiting to see it over the holiday 5-day. Even if days 11+ are normal that should make the multiplier easily 3.5+, with 4 pretty easy to see.  

Edit: Haha, just read the in between pages to see that the “Good Luck” gif was sincere and not “haha, no way” (an unfortunately very common meaning of “good luck” online). Thanks for the well wishes then. I am optimistic, but it wouldn’t be the first time optimism for this movie has lead me astray :ph34r:

UK opening was 83% of TLK, even comparing solely FSS this was only 70%. So I think there may be a holiday effect going on, nothing transfers perfectly across markets though so hard to say.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

Endgame had sold out showings this year. Another one that did the same was with Deathly Hallows back in 2011.

Both of those films were:

• Conclusion to a saga that spanned across a decade (Infinity Saga took 11, Harry Potter was 10)
  • Had a huge opening weekend
  • Became the highest grossing film of all time for said studio and of that year
  • Has a large fanbase and following (of course, it's still going on to this day)

I don't know what you mean by sold out shows getting rarer to achieve. If you mean by there hasn't been a sold out showing for a film in a long time, then that I can understand. 

It's rarer to achieve, because there are more seats available compared to 20 years ago. 

A $30m movie could have gone to capacity a couple of years ago. That's not the case today, with a movie opening in 4000 theaters on who knows how many screens. 

Frozen D4 PS

MTC1- overall 5051 shows 55002/963216 623737.70 542051.59 pre noon 681 shows 18278/119948 134606.08 134369.08 post 6PM 2267 shows 15825/441258 222807.18 181893.38
MTC2 - overall 5992 shows 68465/941334 597318.00 pre noon 1254 shows 22389/194727 173618.00 post 6PM 2143 shows 12422/341725 135404.00  

Obviously PS is down 75% from today. I posted Discount tuesday sales in tracking thread but that is double this number with a day to go. MTC1 is again under indexing for D4 like it did for previews and OD. Discount tuesday its bigger.

Overall drop will be much better than PS drop as we are out of OW. Let us see how Monday goes. I will update D3 final in an hour or so to make it comparable with yesterday.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3