Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

57 minutes ago, peludo said:

I think it can go higher than that.

Some examples of big movies released the weekend before Thanksgiving:

Catching Fire: x1.73

Fantastic Beasts: x1.95

Mockingjay 1: x1.96

Mockingjay 2: x1.60

An animated film uses to have way better legs than this kind of franchises. Dory's number ($486m) should be reachable.

agree. my initial multi (2x) was low.

best case is grinch's ~2.95x the thanksgiving weekend (added 90.1 after 30.4 weekend) but that was grinch's 3rd weekend opposed to 2nd weekend for F2 and was a non-sequel.

2.5x the 2nd weekend would probably be fair for F2.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Idk, you are trying to make it look as a good case scenario, sounds like awful numbers :whosad:

why would that be an awful performance? 485 dom would 3.75x multi after 129.5 ow. The 2nd weekend I get is -37.5% from ow.

129.5 ow

14.5+22.5+21.5+13.5 = 72 Mon-Thu

31.5+30.75+18.75 = 81 2nd FSS

81*2.5 = 202.5 rest of the run

129.5+72+81+202.5 = 485 dom

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The Lion King did $1.6b...and while many critics and people here did not like the film, the general public largely did. So let's not pretend it would have done much more if it were critically acclaimed. 

If you have capability to score 90+ marks but you score just 75, that however good is still an underperformance.

Idk how is it in West, but a 75 in such case is deemed awful in India.

Similarly, TLK was easiest 2 Billion ever, in fact, better bet to beat Titanic or even Avatar at starting of year, and it didn't even pass Jurassic World, ugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Yeh from a look at Twitter the two things people seem most let down by were the ending and most importantly, the music. 

From what I gather the music is a significant step down. That might explain the drop in quality (critics and audiences). 

I can’t see it having any problems getting to $500m, with zero competition and a huge holiday week, then December. 

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

why would that be an awful performance? 485 dom would 3.75x multi after 129.5 ow. The 2nd weekend I get is -37.5% from ow.

same

Just now, Jedi Jat said:

If you have capability to score 90+ marks but you score just 75, that however good is still an underperformance.

Idk how is it in West, but a 75 in such case is deemed awful in India.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh from a look at Twitter the two things people seem most let down by were the ending and most importantly, the music

I agree, but I didn't had problem with just climax, it overall felt like was nothing much story wise.

I would have discussed more if there was a spoiler thread, but I felt they tried to over-cater to Japan, understandbly so.

Music is awful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

same

how many 400+ dom grossers have sequels that do bigger. especially outside Avengers 3/4.

i think CF was the first one ever to pull that off. TS4 did it this year too. 

even back to back 400+ movies in a franchise are handful.

485 would be 21% over 400 and even if you were expecting 525+ it isn't awful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The Lion King did $1.6b...and while many critics and people here did not like the film, the general public largely did. So let's not pretend it would have done much more if it were critically acclaimed. 

I still don't get how The Lion King found such an audience. Its a half hearted stretched out reinterpretation with none of the magic. 

• Like 2