Eric Duncan

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Problem with Frozen is  no matter how popular they are, they can only touch their core demographic + some collateral consumer group whereas Pixar film like FD, i2 or TS4, they are not only attracting those families but too extend their target base beyond their usual demo.  

I mean TS4 came out 9 years later and basically equaled TS3. Not sure if I would use that one. Way under inflation adjusted.

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

how ? it took almost 1 billion in dom alone, to even barely passed it, with the most beloved property back then, ,wtf are you talking about

exactly. 2Bn so far is club of films loved worldwide. TFA did majorily on strength of four-five markets (high ticket priced).

EG, Titanic, IW (to an extent) and Avatar did numbers almost everywhere.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Problem with Frozen is  no matter how popular they are, they can only touch their core demographic + some collateral consumer group whereas Pixar film like FD, i2 or TS4, they are not only attracting those families but too extend their target base beyond their usual demo.  

Incredibles is really just in another box office league, Disney should really announce Incredibles 3 as a conclusion of a trilogy it would enormous.

ABot what you wrote about Frozen i kid of disagree a little bit, no movie do these kind of number targeting just a certain demo with some collateral demo spillover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh from a look at Twitter the two things people seem most let down by were the ending and most importantly, the music. 

1. The ending is good. I could see there being things for Twitter to fight over with it, but that’s what Twitter does. 

2. Music is good, too! Show Yourself, Lost In The Woods, When I Am Older, All Is Found are all solid bops. 

If we’re going to get super nitpicky, the issue with the music is that there’s no reprise of into the unknown, and they have yet again failed to write a musical finale number. 

I also feel the problem is that Let It Go Was able to tap into such a primal, cathartic energy. It’s almost impossible to recapture that. You’re never going to have another Let It Go. And I say that as someone who has had Show Yourself on repeat for the last 48 to 72 hours, and will absolutely God Warrior for it. 

4 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Biggest disappointments of the decade: 

Ultron

TS4

Do not lump Elsa in with that bullshit. Thank you. 

• Like 4

Just now, cdsacken said:

That's fair.

For folks saying music wasn't nearly  as good.....

Lost in the Woods, Into the Unknown, Show Yourself, The Next Right Thing, When I was older, All is Found. So many good choices.

I can talk only about my self.

I am a fan for example of pop music, and catchy song is about money success. Personaly i am not saying that the songs of frozen II are better or worse that the song of frozen I, but they dont have any song as catchy as the song of the first movie, i mean even if you take Do you want to build a Snowman is a catchier song that any song of Frozen 2.

My favorite song from Frozen II is Into the Unknown, i think is a beautiful song, but i dont think is as catchy as the songs from Frozen I.

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

exactly. 2Bn so far is club of films loved worldwide. TFA did majorily on strength of four-five markets (high ticket priced).

EG, Titanic, IW (to an extent) and Avatar did numbers almost everywhere.

oh you meant it in that way, yeah sorry , now understand

7 minutes ago, edmkh said:

I can talk only about my self.

I am a fan for example of pop music, and catchy song is about money success. Personaly i am not saying that the songs of frozen II are better or worse that the song of frozen I, but they dont have any song as catchy as the song of the first movie, i mean even if you take Do you want to build a Snowman is a catchier song that any song of Frozen 2.

My favorite song from Frozen II is Into the Unknown, i think is a beautiful song, but i dont think is as catchy as the songs from Frozen I.

Oh man I disagree big time. Love is an open door is cute but I like several songs more. Let it go signature hit is missing but that's hard to replicate. Lost in the woods 80s ballad was awesome and hilarious

Re-watched Frozen today. Still so engrossing - Let it Go is a showstopper. The side characters also have great voice work and humor peppered in throughout the movie. Visuals are amazing - Elsa's yellow version of the castle being my favorite.

• Like 3

Just now, cdsacken said:

Oh man I disagree big time. Love is an open door is cute but I like several songs more. Let it go signature hit is missing but that's hard to replicate. Lost in the woods 80s ballad was awesome and hilarious

I really liked Lost in the woods. i liked Frozen 2 a lot is just not asChristmasy and doesnt have catchy songs as Frozen I, iis all that i am saying, i truly believed that Frozen II would become the biggest box office movie for 2019 over Star Wars 9 and TLK. I am a fan no a hater

Want to give you an example from pop music, a lot of people say that the  new music from Carly Rae Jepsen is better than Call Me Maybe, but Call me maybe was just the catchier song, thats all what i am saying, Frozen II doesnt have any song as catchier as let it go or do you want to build a snowman, the closest i can think is Into the Unkown.

In box office numbers or comercial success imho it doesnt matter is a song better or worse than let it go, what does matter is it is a catchy and liked as let it go or do you want to build a snowman.

• Like 1

@a2k CF is the only #2 sequel to increase from a part 1 that did over 400m. Thats partially what I referr to when I mention the 400m curse / pattern. Not saying that other films have done badly but case in point Ultron and JW2 while still doing well over 400m didnt come close, same with Jedi. And that goes back all the way to Spiderman in 2002 (first 400m film with a sequel.) 

Obviously inflation and other issues play a part, but again, when only 2 animated films ever have legitimately crossed 450m (3 if you want to throw Shrek 2 in there) the expectations of Frozen 2 hitting the lighting twice was setting up for disappointment, esp the 500m+ camp. 

Not saying 500m isnt warranted, but hitting 450m is a positive not a negative in reality. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well the 400+ mark is related to inflation, so it could only include recent movies.

Sequels have outperformed in the past, look at BB -> TDK or especially the King's T1 -> T2.

The difference being sequels to already huge performers - not sequels to movies that grew an audience on home video then hit then exploded over the previous films

TDK -> TDKR and T2 ->T3  would be better comparisons

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2k said:

how many 400+ dom grossers have sequels that do bigger. especially outside Avengers 3/4.

i think CF was the first one ever to pull that off. TS4 did it this year too. 

even back to back 400+ movies in a franchise are handful.

485 would be 21% over 400 and even if you were expecting 525+ it isn't awful.

We live in a franchise world now. It's a very different climate. Sequels nowadays are expected to increase and grow due to brand recognition. And Frozen is one of the biggest brands of this decade. It should have easily done 600 million domestically. Like Charlie said its scoring 75 instead of 90. 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I am glad TLK didn't cross 2b.

I do not wish to see 2b ww club got cheapen this easily like what happened to 1b club now. 

It was already cheapened when Titanic cheated it's way in there with a re-release. 

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The difference being sequels to already huge performers - not sequels to movies that grew an audience on home video then hit then exploded over the previous films

TDK -> TDKR and T2 ->T3  would be better comparisons

Especially something like BB>TDK where BB had to fight the bad wom on the whole franchise. Its not an apples to apples comparison. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@a2k CF is the only #2 sequel to increase from a part 1 that did over 400m. Thats partially what I referr to when I mention the 400m curse / pattern. Not saying that other films have done badly but case in point Ultron and JW2 while still doing well over 400m didnt come close, same with Jedi. And that goes back all the way to Spiderman in 2002 (first 400m film with a sequel.) 

Obviously inflation and other issues play a part, but again, when only 2 animated films ever have legitimately crossed 450m (3 if you want to throw Shrek 2 in there) the expectations of Frozen 2 hitting the lighting twice was setting up for disappointment, esp the 500m+ camp. 

Not saying 500m isnt warranted, but hitting 450m is a positive not a negative in reality. 

These movies were insanely massive and which made it hard for them to surpass their predecessor. Did anyone expect The Last Jedi to do over 1 billion domestically?  Marvel ain't probably ever surpassing End Game either.  Frozen on the other hand "only" did 400 million domestically. It could have easily increased with at least 200 million. 

Edited by HeadShot

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

We live in a franchise world now. It's a very different climate. Sequels nowadays are expected to increase and grow due to brand recognition. And Frozen is one of the biggest brands of this decade. It should have easily done 600 million domestically. Like Charlie said its scoring 75 instead of 90. 

It was already cheapened when Titanic cheated it's way in there with a re-release. 

gotg1 to gotg2 growth gives 468.

smh to ffh growth gives 465-466.

even aou to aiw's growth gives frozen2 592-593.

never-mind easily.

• Like 3