Eric Atreides

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

THE COLD

source.gif

NEVER

giphy.gif

BOTHERED

tenor.gif?itemid=3597320

ME ANYWAY

giphy.gif

When it was released on Thanksgiving 2013, no one, not even Disney, believed that the animated tale Frozen would take the world by storm in the way that it did. 

Opening to a record Thanksgiving frame of 93.6M, the film would go on to more than quadruple that 5-Day, generating a stunning 400 million domestically and almost 1.3 billion worldwide, making it the highest-grossing animated film of all time worldwide...unless you count this year's remake of The Lion King.

Frozen’s massive success was a defining moment for Walt Disney Animation Studios and what is currently known as their Disney Revival. Not only was it hailed as an instant classic, through its memorable characters, subversion of the princess formula, and iconic music, Frozen’s astonishing box office success showed Disney Animation was here to stay. While The Princess and the Frog brought some needed attention to the animation studio, and Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph showcased the strong box office might they can obtain, Frozen showed that WDAS was officially back and ready to take names and kick ass. This led to several consecutive hit films from Disney’s animation team in the years to follow, including Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana. To say nothing of how the film represents Disney's hit streak of the 2010s.

But most importantly, the massive success of Frozen gave Bob Iger and co. dollar signs in their eyes, as a whole slew of new and exciting ways to expand the brand and characters emerged in the past few years. It’s gotten to the point where you can’t turn your head without seeing something Frozen in your face. A Frozen-themed season of the ABC show Once Upon A Time aired about a year after the film came out, two short films were released into theaters, several theme park attractions have been built or are in the works, a Broadway musical hit the stage, and of course a seemingly endless supply of merchandise have sold like hotcakes over the past 6 years. It’s a true phenomenon, and along with the original film playing on repeat in many households, kids, and even adults, just can’t seem to get enough of it.

But in the end, the material Disney has put out, at least for Frozen fans, just isn’t enough. From the moment the film came out, what fans were really looking forward to was a sequel. And sure enough, six years later, we finally have a new installment, which seems to be taking the original film, and making it bigger and better in every way. A grander adventure, a new slate of songs, a darker tone, and more is expected in this new installment. And with critics giving their approval, audiences are craving to see what WDAS has concocted, in what’s sure to be Disney’s sixth billion-dollar grosser this year (Their seventh one drops a month later).

But of course, the big question: how big will the movie be? It’s expected to open to at least 100M, but can it go further? Can it dethrone Catching Fire’s opening and get the November record? Or perhaps Incredibles 2’s animated record? Could it even hit 200M when all is said and done? Or will it just be a solid, if unspectacular opener?

We won’t really know until Sunday, but we can still enjoy the ride. Of course, before we actually enjoy the ride, here are the rules:

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. This rule is applied to all weekend threads, but it's especially true for this weekend. Frozen II is one of the most anticipated movies of the year, and fans have been dying to see this since the first film dropped six years ago. Spoiling what happens is just flat-out uncool. You are free to give general opinions, but try to avoid going into any further detail. This applies to every other movie in theaters. So no Doctor Sleep spoilers, no Charlie’s Angels spoilers, no Ford v Ferrari spoilers, etc. If you do spoil something here, you will be banned. No exceptions. Don't be a dick. If you want to go into more detail, the Review that Movie thread is available now.

2. KEEP YOUR AGENDA OUT OF HERE. We get it. Disney can do nothing wrong, and people who hate it are jealous. Disney is the epitome of evil, are destroying cinema, and Bob Iger/Alan Horn/Kathleen Kennedy is the spawn of Satan. The Rise of Skywalker is gonna bomb because Ruin Johnson destroyed the franchise. James Cameron is the true box office king. Yadda yadda yadda.

There's a time and place for these kinds of statements...actually, there isn't. But at the very least, it doesn't belong here. If you want to start these beefs related to all of these dumb children's movies, take it to the Fanboy Wars thread right here. If you do this kind of stuff here, you will be banned. No exceptions. So to all the people who want to go on about how “FROZEN IS TRASH. DISNEY IS EVIL. STAR WARS IS DEAD”, don’t even fucking try. Not gonna name names, but you know who you are. Don't be a dick.

3. NO CONSPIRACY THEORIES. It seems like every other week, we have some sort of conspiracy, usually involving critics being bribed or “biased” or out to get a studio or filmmaker or whatever.

Yeah, no. We're not gonna have this stuff here. I don't care what evidence you have. These types of posts are going to derail the thread and are basically trolling. We'll allow maybe one or two posts about a potential discrepancy between audiences or critics, or you saying you didn't like the movie or that the crowd you were with weren't into the film, or you arguing there's potential for a bad second weekend drop. But if you start repeating yourself, or said posts are inflammatory, or you start promoting the idea that there's some sort of evil conspiracy going around...you will be banned. No exceptions. Again, not naming names, but you know who you are. Don't be a dick. 

4. NO POLITICS. In threads like these, politics sometimes spring up for literally no reason. And straight up, politics just aren’t fun to talk about. So if you’re gonna say something about how Frozen is the reason Trump won, or whatever...no. Don't be a dick.

5. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. See a post that might be breaking the rules? DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Just hit the Report button, give an explanation to the problem, including the context, then hit "Submit". The mods will determine the post and see if it's breaking the rules, and give out repercussions. See a poster that's consistently being annoying? Then just highlight their name, then click "Ignore User" on the pop-up. Also check the “Quotes” box just in case. It'll save lives and hopefully cause less of an uproar or infighting. While trolls are already bad, responding to them only makes it worse. So again...Don't be a dick.

6. IS OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION OKAY? Well...yes and no. We want people to stick to box office numbers as best as they can. However, there are plenty of dead periods of time with no new numbers, and other discussions will surge. This is especially true in the early days of this thread, where there aren’t any numbers to talk about. And those discussions are okay to have, so long as the off topic discussions don't go overboard. So if there's no action, and you want to share your fanfiction, or rank the Rocky movies, or describe your recent escapades on Disney+, that's totally fine. Just remember to not talk about anything controversial and remember that when the numbers come to keep those discussions down to a minimum. Keep on doing that, and it becomes a chore for many who just want to know the numbers. We will have a post immediately after this one that will focus on just the numbers updated to the most recent estimates, but the phrase still applies. Don't. Be. A. Dick.

And lastly... 

7. DON'T BE A DICK. Threads lately have started to become a little too toxic. Whatever the reason may be, if you're not following any of these rules or are straight up not being nice, you're going to get the banhammer smashed onto you. Doing some concern trolling to a movie? Banned. Revealing that Elsa kills Dumbledore? Banned. Trying to start arguments on controversial topics? Banned. Just posting something unpleasant or mean? Banned. If you're not sure if your post is nice, think to yourself this: "If I post this, will people get mad?" If so, then don't post it. And if you're unsure if you can handle being nice for one weekend, then, simply put, get out of here. You probably know what I'm gonna say next.

TL;DR. No spoilers, no fanboy wars. Keep it nice, keep it neutral, don't attack others, and you'll be fine. If you don't do this stuff, you'll risk a threadban, a suspension, or even a permanent ban, so tread lightly. Outside of that, just have fun!

And two last things...

First of all, this thread will likely lean into being more domestic-focused. If you want to know about how Frozen II is doing in other countries, look at the International section of the forums right here. The international thread solely dedicated to Frozen II is also available right here.

And second....

WE’RE HAVING A SALE

Black Friday Week -- Gold Account Monthly and Annual 25% Off. 

The sale lasts from now until the Sunday after Thanksgiving; Thursday, November 21st to Sunday, December 1st. We have a lot of exciting weekends on the horizon, so might as well take advantage of a great deal and help keep these servers afloat.

And now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LET’S DO THIS SHIT

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 7

- POST RESERVED FOR THE NEW NUMBERS THAT WILL SHOW UP OVER THE WEEKEND -

Domestic

8.5M Previews

41.8M Friday

49.8M Saturday

35.4M Sunday

127M OW (Nov. animation record, 3rd animated, 5th Nov.)

Overseas

53M China

13.4M France

14.9M Germany

18.2M Japan

31.5M Korea

17.8M UK

223.2M OS (animation record)

Worldwide

350.2M WW (animation record)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Tomorrow morning should be fun...I foresee the emotions in this thread whipsawing wildly over the course of the weekend.

Just repeating/reminding everyone:

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

This is all about that Saturday Number.  

• Like 6

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

You really think the appeal of Frozen is limited to just kids? lol.

I was speaking to a cousin who has three kids. She did not sound enthusiastic about taking her kids to see the sequel. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I was speaking to a cousin who has three kids. She did not sound enthusiastic about taking her kids to see the sequel. 

That's one person. Doesn't speak for everyone.

FWIW it's selling well for the night shows as well throughout the weekend around here and I think it's safe to say it wouldn't be filling up during hours in which kids aren't out in full force (like they will be for the matinee/evening shows this weekend) if its appeal didn't crossover to adults as well. It's no different than Pixar's sequels.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I'll swap places with her and give her my Star Wars tickets:).  I'd totally see Frozen 2 before Star Wars, but none of my kids are on that bandwagon - instead, I have 2 Star Wars and 4 Jumanji demanders, so that's where my money's going the next few weeks:)...

The things parents do for kids:)...

• Like 1

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's one person. Doesn't speak for everyone.

FWIW it's selling well for the night shows as well throughout the weekend around here and I think it's safe to say it wouldn't be filling during hours in which kids aren't out in full force (like they will be for the matinee/evening shows this weekend) if its appeal didn't crossover to adults as well. It's no different than Pixar's sequels.

I'm sure it will be a big hit. I'm sure you will love the movie.

Dont mind me lol. I go to the movies almost every single weekend. I'm pretty sure the only non-Fox Disney movie I've seen this year is Endgame and Captain Marvel. That likely won't change until Star Wars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'll swap places with her and give her my Star Wars tickets:).  I'd totally see Frozen 2 before Star Wars, but none of my kids are on that bandwagon - instead, I have 2 Star Wars and 4 Jumanji demanders, so that's where my money's going the next few weeks:)...

The things parents do for kids:)...

I personally don’t have any interest in frozen 2 but my kids are in the same boat, no interest in frozen but want to see Jumanji and Star Wars. We saw frozen 1 in theatres but they’re just not interested in this one. They’re 12 and 15 now so I’m not really shocked lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, cax16 said:

I personally don’t have any interest in frozen 2 but my kids are in the same boat, no interest in frozen but want to see Jumanji and Star Wars. We saw frozen 1 in theatres but they’re just not interested in this one. They’re 12 and 15 now so I’m not really shocked lol. 

My elder one is also not interested despite being so into let it go. But she is also 11 now and tastes evolve. Plus she prefers to watch netflix over going to plexes. She is into Flash now and previously enjoyed Endgame !!!!

My younger one wont sit through a movie in theater as well. Prefer shorts to full movies. Did enjoy Olaf short before Coco though i thought it was horrible.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1