Eric Atreides

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Joker is now the biggest solo Comic book film of all time here in the UK. 

And the third biggest comic book film of all time behind only Endgame and Infinity War. 

And while anyone could go to see those films, Joker was a 15 here, so families/kids weren’t a factor in the audience at all. 

Insane. 

Also the highest grossing 15-rated film of all time by beating Full Monty's nigh 22-year-old record.

Also the only film in the past 20 years to have 6 consecutive weekends at #1 - not even Avatar could achieve that, in which it was knocked off by Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

13 consecutive weekends at #1:

Titanic (1998)

7 consecutive weekends at #1:

Toy Story 2 (2000)

Gladiator (2000)

6 consecutive weekends at #1:

The World's Not Enough (1999)

Joker (2019)

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Like 1

Yeah, crazy number for the Joker in the UK. I knew when my nearly 70 year old Mum mentioned being interested in seeing it that something big was brewing. She wouldn't touch comic book movies with a barge-pole normally.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Joker is now the biggest solo Comic book film of all time here in the UK. 

And the third biggest comic book film of all time behind only Endgame and Infinity War. 

And while anyone could go to see those films, Joker was a 15 here, so families/kids weren’t a factor in the audience at all. 

Insane. 

i dont know, what this has to do with this thread, but ok i guess

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

Based on the numbers, KO is not likely to be frontloaded I guess...

It had no reason to be frontloaded. Movies with built-in fandom are. KO basically builds fandom as it goes. It was always going to be a long-legged WOM hit rather than OW rush one (though OW is excellent too). 

Edited by Valonqar

Queen and Slim and Harriet are big wins for movies with a black female lead yet media, that always laments the lack of POC female leads, is curiously silent. It shows how overrated #1 spot is. Movies can do great business without hitting #1 and shouldn't be ignored. Yet here we are. There was more think pieces about CA flop (blame men!) than think pieces about Harriet's undeniable success (destroyed CA). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's astonishing how little people realised how powerful the Joker IP inherently was.

An absolutely panned film with an absolutely panned version of the character still made an absolute fortune sold on the back of nothing but the Joker, hot topic imagery, and Margot Robbie's bum.

A nice and perfectly decent acting performance has been held up by countless people as OMFGBESTPERFORMANCEEVER for a decade just because it was playing this character.

It's been an amazing achievement, but, seriously, the character was already batting 3 for 3 in insane box office.

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It's astonishing how little people realised how powerful the Joker IP inherently was.

An absolutely panned film with an absolutely panned version of the character still made an absolute fortune sold on the back of nothing but the Joker, hot topic imagery, and Margot Robbie's bum.

A nice and perfectly decent acting performance has been held up by countless people as OMFGBESTPERFORMANCEEVER for a decade just because it was playing this character.

It's been an amazing achievement, but, seriously, the character was already batting 3 for 3 in insane box office.

yeah some of these people are delusional in thinking its a win for "artistic cinema underdogs". its still an IP. the situation for original mid-budget films is still as bad!  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

You mean 4 for 4? Batman 89 crushed the OW back in the day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Queen and Slim and Harriet are big wins for movies with a black female lead yet media, that always laments the lack of POC female leads, is curiously silent. It shows how overrated #1 spot is. Movies can do great business without hitting #1 and shouldn't be ignored. Yet here we are. There was more think pieces about CA flop (blame men!) than think pieces about Harriet's undeniable success (destroyed CA). 

I can't help sometimes but note the selectivity of outrages.

I remember for years the query was over female directors not being nonimated for major awards ....

Yet last year when one could very legitimately argue that the majority of nominees for best director should have been women purely on merit (Chloe Zhao for The Rider, Lynne Ramsay for You Were Never Really Here, Debra Granik for Leave No Trace, Desiree Akhavan for The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Tamara Jenkins for Private Life) there wasn't a peep because there were more trendy nominations and big names to be had.

Ramsay and Zhao should have been there as an absolute mimimum. 

Its really selective the way the narrative gets spun, in multiple directions.

13 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I can't help sometimes but note the selectivity of outrages.

I remember for years the query was over female directors not being nonimated for major awards ....

Yet last year when one could very legitimately argue that the majority of nominees for best director should have been women purely on merit (Chloe Zhao for The Rider, Lynne Ramsay for You Were Never Really Here, Debra Granik for Leave No Trace, Desiree Akhavan for The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Tamara Jenkins for Private Life) there wasn't a peep because there were more trendy nominations and big names to be had.

Ramsay and Zhao should have been there as an absolute mimimum. 

Its really selective the way the narrative gets spun, in multiple directions.

All of this! Outrage is so laughably selective no wonder less and less people take it seriously. For exact reasons you mentioned. Last year, outrage fad was Green Book so worthy female director snub was shrugged off since it didn't fit into anti-GB narrative. 

Here in Italy, Joker (32.1M) grossed almost as much as Endgame (33.3M) and it is now the third highest-grossing movie of the year. However, in terms of audience, Joker sold more tickets than Endgame ( 4.166.406 vs. 4.098.421). Remarkable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah Joker is a hugely popular character. I knew this would be huge when my sister said she wanted to see this and she doesn't watch CBM. This movie feels like a spiritual successor to The dark knight. But I do wonder how a fun campy joker would be received, people seem to like him a certain way.

57 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

yeah some of these people are delusional in thinking its a win for "artistic cinema underdogs". its still an IP. the situation for original mid-budget films is still as bad!  

The message was about taking chances with popular IP, not making everything like MCU and F&F. Situation with original mid/big-budget films is a different story.

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

WTF! Frozen 2 had post credit scene?

Actually, funny story about that. I didn’t think it had one, so mom and sister left early. But I stayed just to watch the credits and listen to music. Pleasantly rewarded with a post-credits scene.

• Like 1