Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

10 hours ago, wildphantom said:

We must be looking at a near $30 million 3-day for Knives Out - which would put it in the $45 million range for the holiday. 
For the industry this is a huge win....an original, well reviewed mainstream movie doing excellent numbers against a behemoth. 

After the Charlie’s Angels/Terminator/Sleep calamity, this message must surely be loud and clear. Sure...the right franchise, but original, high concept material in quality hands - people will come out.  Don’t spend $150 million + on a sequel to a has-been when you can trounce it with a new high-concept movie for less than a third!! It’s not rocket science.  They’re worth the risk!!!!

Yep, movies like Joker and KO send the message that smart budget, great performances, adult-skewing and interesting concept make profitable movies. 

Edited by Valonqar

17 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:
Frozen 2               34.10
Knives Out               10.66
Ford v Ferrari                 5.77
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood                 4.57
Queen & Slim                 4.29
Playing with Fire                 2.30
21 Bridges                 1.72
Midway                 1.58
Last Christmas                 0.78
Joker                 0.76
Harriet                 0.78
The Good Liar                 0.55
Charlie's Angels                 0.50
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil                 0.47
Jojo Rabbit                 0.46

Let's see what Disney give.

Ford v Ferrari doubled its Thursday gross. Queen & Slim had a great 80% jump.

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me or are these numbers for Queen and Slim really damn good? Especially given the # of theatres it is in? Could surpass Widows #'s last year, which arguably had more hype, marketing, and bankability. 

Saw it yesterday and it was fantastic, though I don’t think I’d have the fortitude to watch it again.  Similar to JoJo Rabbit in that regard. Thank goodness I saw Knives Out in between the two of them, so there was some levity in the mix.  All three of them, I’d recommend.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Hopefully it's over 2 mln for weekend.

Gravity had a 2.5 Thanksgiving FSS and added 24.5 more.

Something like that even with awards bump is impossible here as Gravity had achieved an incredible 4.5x+ multi by Thanksgiving Sunday itself (on it's way to a final 5x multi).

Joker's multi will be 3.4x+ by Sunday. With awards bump could make it to 341.5 dom / 3.55x, maybe a bit more (346.3 / 3.6x the ceiling imo).

Edited by a2k

23 minutes ago, a2k said:

Gravity had a 2.5 Thanksgiving FSS and added 24.5 more.

Something like that even with awards bump is impossible here as Gravity had achieved an incredible 4.5x+ multi by Thanksgiving Sunday itself (on it's way to a final 5x multi).

Joker's multi will be 3.4x+ by Sunday. With awards bump could make it to 341.5 dom / 3.55x, maybe a bit more (346.3 / 3.6x the ceiling imo).

I mean as long as it's over Aquaman domestic and Aladdin worldwide I'm happy :)

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yep, movies like Joker and KO send the message that smart budget, great performances, adult-skewing and interesting concept make profitable movies. 

Joker?

I don't get how Joker fits into the same category as KO and Hustlers.

To the wrong people (and those wrong people are exactly the ones making the decisions) Joker tells a story that you can just slap an IP on anything and you can increased the BO by over 10x.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Joker fits because it's a low-mid budget adult-oriented movie. It may be a CBM but it isn't done like a typical CBM (for teenage crowd with family appeal as well, lots of special effects, crazy budget). But fair enough, KO and Hustlers then. 

Um if you did not have the Joker attached I doubt it would have done over 200 million WW 

The issue with original films is getting peoples attention and butts in the seats. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Um if you did not have the Joker attached I doubt it would have done over 200 million WW 

The issue with original films is getting peoples attention and butts in the seats. 

KO and Hustlers are getting people's attention and butts in seats just not on Joker level but Joker wasn't expected to be as big as it became save that incredible Club. Kudos to that prediction.