Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

Not surprised by the huge Frozen numbers. I was just at the theater to pick up tickets (thanks @cdsacken for the link) and it felt like a weekend. 

Also it seems like the movie is less presales heavy now than it was for the weekend as around 12PM the evening shows were 10% full and when I just checked they were nearing sell outs. 

• Like 3

300M dom by Sunday puts 600M on table no? I know that there will be post-holiday drop but there will be another holiday soon to keep things going. :ohmygod:

I think that KO will make 40M 5 days as the projection keeps rising. Either way, it's exceeded tracking. :bravo:

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

300M dom by Sunday puts 600M on table no? I know that there will be post-holiday drop but there will be another holiday soon to keep things going. :ohmygod:

I think that KO will make 40M 5 days as the projection keeps rising. Either way, it's exceeded tracking. :bravo:

I wouldn't say 600, but 500 it definitely is possible. 

Also, Knives Out doing 100 DOM would be amazing. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/frozen-2-thanksgiving-knives-out-box-office-queen-slim-1203418741/

Knives Out heading 40m 5 day with previews

Disney’s “Frozen 2” is heading for a record of at least $140 million over the five-day Thanksgiving holiday in North America, early estimates showed Wednesday.

The animated adventure will easily top the $109.9 million record set by “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” in 2013 during the five-day period. “Frozen 2,” which opened on Nov. 22, should go past the $300 million mark by the end of the weekend. The sequel is coming in well above forecasts of $100 million to $120 million during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Lionsgate’s opening of mystery comedy “Knives Out” is plenty of traction with early estimates of $40 million for the five-day holiday, which includes $3.7 million from previews. “Knives Out” opens in 3,391 sites Wednesday amid strong reviews with a stellar 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes. “Knives Out” had been forecast to open in the $20 million to $25 million  range.

The film, directed by Rian Johnson, centers on a family gathering that takes a turn for the macabre when the patriarch (Christopher Plummer) dies after his 85th birthday party, leaving everyone a suspect. The cast includes Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis and Toni Collette. “Knives Out” is produced by MRC and T-Street.

Universal’s counter programmer “Queen & Slim,” starring Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith, is also beating forecasts with about $15 million for the five days. The film had been expected to earn $10 million over the extended holiday. Melina Matsoukas, the filmmaker behind Beyonce’s “Formation” music video, directed the film, while Lena Waithe wrote the script. It has an 87% Rotten Tomatoes score.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 8

8 minutes ago, kitik said:

I'd hesitate to call a $2.2M opening day a breakout.

2.2 opening day leading to a 16 to 17 million 5 day in only 1,600 theaters with no star power and an R rating. Expectations was for this movie to make 10 to 12 million for five days.

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 1

Not sure of 300 but F2 can get close to 295 by Sun imo.

163.8 after 20.8 Tue

23.5 Wed

15.3 (-35%)

35.2 (+130%)

34.8 (-1%)

21.6 (-38%)

= 130.4 5-day ; 294.2

Edited by a2k
If 295 is feasible I guess so is 300

I wouldn't say an opening lower than Allied qualifies as a "breakout", but Queen and Slim's projected 5-Day is definitely a good couple million above what I expected, especially since buzz seemed non-existent, so I'll take what I can get.

27 minutes ago, Eric Plus said:

I wouldn't say an opening lower than Allied qualifies as a "breakout", but Queen and Slim's projected 5-Day is definitely a good couple million above what I expected, especially since buzz seemed non-existent, so I'll take what I can get.

One of the films had a $20m budget  - the other $106m - not exactly comparable in terms of what qualifies as a financial break out.

• Like 3