Eric Atreides

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

Is that a typo, or did Frozen 2 really lose 342 theaters on Friday? Isn't that unusual for an event film only on its second weekend? And if it's because of the new openers (which aren't even that big), shouldn't the drop have happened on Wednesday?

Frozen is still killing it and will soon pass $300M (and will likely enjoy strong staying power heading into 2020).

Knives Out is a real success story. Should easily cross $100M+ with very good WOM. Quality pays, people.

Strong holds for Ford v Ferrari and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood as well. Nice to see all of these examples that the "original" adult-oriented movie isn't dead yet.

Really good launch for Queen & Slim considering buzz was on the quiet side. Should make a healthy $30-35M total.

Playing with Fire is looking at a solid $45-50M total, and Midway is gonna finish with a much better than initially expected total between $55-60M (even if it's still gonna go down as a flop compared to its budget). Harriet has also become one of the most underappreciated performers of November (especially given that it's gonna finish with a much higher total than any of Last Christmas, Doctor Sleep, and Charlie's Angels).

Solid expansion for Dark Waters, though I'm guessing it won't fare too well in wide release next weekend. Also on the limited side of business, both Honey Boy and Waves have proven to be total nonstarters unfortunately.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Cool. Looks like it’ll be the third animated film this year to gross over $1B+ WW.

That's a bold statement, Cotton.  Do you really think it will get there?:)

• Haha 1

any chance of Knives Out passing the awful orient express WW?? i dont think it will but doing 300m ww would be amazing

yikes at charlie's angels who wont even finish with 20m dom

Edited by aladdino
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Disney will be trying to get Zootopia 2 made for 2022 or 2023, I don't think it'd be as big as Frozen 2 but it would certainly do over $100m OW. 

$100M OW wouldn't be anything too substantial imo. At an annual rate of 1.8%, Zootopia's OW will be $83.5M. $100M OW would be only 19.7% higher than Zootopia, an original movie. Given the current tendency of legs, I don't think it can hit a 3× multiplier in 2022. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I would guess that Zootopia2 would open close to 50% over Zootopia1. It's a beloved film imo and the 4.55x multiplier (75 ow, 341 dom) is one of highest in recent times if one looks at 40+ opening weekends with Fri od. The Zootp over BVS ride was a hoot.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, StarWarsMemer said:

$100M OW wouldn't be anything too substantial imo. At an annual rate of 1.8%, Zootopia's OW will be $83.5M. $100M OW would be only 19.7% higher than Zootopia, an original movie. Given the current tendency of legs, I don't think it can hit a 3× multiplier in 2022. 

The substantial amount of 100m for an animated sequel is something that Secret Life of Pets 2 would love to argue about. 

You miss how substantial that is for animated films in general regardless of how inflation works. I mean it took 6 years for a film not labeled Shrek to hit that point and then 5 more years from Ts3 to Minions for another one (unless I am missing something off the top of my head.) 

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Excellent for Parasite, will have 20M in the kitty before big awards nominations roll out so that should extend its run.

Parasite could even challenge I, TONYA to become highest grossing Neon film and the highest grossing non-english film since instruction not included (Spanish)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StarWarsMemer said:

WDAS hasn’t missed a 3x multi once (at least from what’s shown on The-Numbers), and that’s including their early 2000s weak slate. Absolutely no shot Zootopia 2 would fail.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

F2 is going to end up underestimated again. Both dom and OS.

I don't think it will this weekend.  The weather here is horrible with freezing rain and snow.  So the numbers might be suppressed a little.

• Like 1