Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

I knew that disappointing OW number was deflated by the 5-day, but seems I didn’t appreciate by how much. 300M+ 10-day is very strong. Record animation 10-days so far as I can tell:

TLK 352M 

I2 350M

F2 ~310M?

Dory 286M

TS4 238.7M

TS3 227M

Also Catching Fire which opened more than 20% above F2 in the same weekend has “just” a 296 10-day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I knew that disappointing OW number was deflated by the 5-day, but seems I didn’t appreciate by how much. 300M+ 10-day is very strong. Record animation 10-days so far as I can tell:

TLK 352M 192M

I2 350M 258M

F2 ~310M?

Dory 286M 200M

TS4 238.7M 205M

TS3 227M 188M

F1 109.4M 291M ... added more than I2's 258

Also Catching Fire which opened more than 20% above F2 in the same weekend has “just” a 296 10-day.

Added approx amounts those moves added after the 10-day period. Also added Frozen1 to indicate was a behemoth it was in legs.

• Like 2

I said it multiple times...while I am very happy with these huge numbers for F2, they're not surprising. It exploded practically everywhere but the US, which only meant that people were waiting for Thanksgiving. 

If it is able to hit $130m for the 5-day, then it's easily going to pass $500m IMO.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I said it multiple times...while I am very happy with these huge numbers for F2, they're not surprising. It exploded practically everywhere but the US, which only meant that people were waiting for Thanksgiving. 

If it is able to hit $130m for the 5-day, then it's easily going to pass $500m IMO.

Probably because Thanksgiving doesn't  have any significance anywhere else.

Let's say:

$24.2m Wed

$17m Thurs

$38.5m Fri

$39m Sat

$26m Sun

$144.7m 5-day

Holy shit, there's no way it'll miss $500m with that kind of number. I'm afraid I'm being too optimistic but if it ends up holding surprisingly well today...then these numbers are achievable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

And what's your explanation why a mid-budget mystery movie like Knights Out is breaking out? According to you, these are exactly the type of movies that NOBODY watches at theaters anymore.

I never said nobody watches such films in theaters, its that audiences are more willing to skip over them and wait for Netflix...

For every KO though there are a dozen films like it that dont do well though....

I would request to find a post where i said KO would not do well because unlike many other mid budget films that failed so badly, any rational person could realize the buzz around KO made it stand apart.  

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

130 million opening weekend is disappointing for Frozen 2? I simply don't get that at all. That makes no sense to me.

2nd weekend of near 100mn will show that it was. I know it was pre-holiday affect it faced, I totally understand that but saying 130mn is ok for biggest animation brand is nayy.

In a normal weekend, it would have easily done 170, may be even blasted I2 record.

Despite the number looking low in weekend, I stand to not melt till 2nd weekend, which on expected ground looks great.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

130 million opening weekend is disappointing for Frozen 2? I simply don't get that at all. That makes no sense to me.

I think people assumed Frozen was the biggest brand out there it should open like Lion King however people forget its the holiday season and that Frozen 2 will likely cakewalk past 500 million even with a 130 million weekend. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

Knowing that Beauty and the beast 2017 opened to 174 million,can make you think it’s disappointing.

Edited by Melosh

17 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

KO ($5m True Wedesday based off of @Jedi Jat's final numbers) is doing well. If it follows 2016's Allied ($2.1m True Wednesday), it would be at $40.7m in its 5-day portion ($44.37m if you include previews).

This. No way it only does only 35M like Deadline projects. LOL. I'm seeing it tonight. Buzz is through the roof.