Ezen Baklattan

2019 Critics/Guild Awards Thread

Not directors winning awards for cinematography.

I know this was expected but rip Bong, I'm guessing 1917 will also win best picture. PGA+DGA combo is hard to beat, it happened with La La Land because of a backlash which 1917 won't have to worry about. (and even if it lacks support from acting branch, the film is so focused on spectacle that they'll probably still put it up high on their ballots). 

can 2021 awards season start already.  

i know back in september i kept going on about how jojo rabbit would win best picture. it won't but it probably would've if it had actually been a hit. weird case. it was a "crowd pleaser" that never found a crowd to please. lowest grossing nominee not counting the netflix films which for sure would've outgrossed it with a traditional release.

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

WGA awards - Parasite won Original. Jojo won Adapted. 

Tarantino wasn't eligible for the WGA cus he's not part of the guild but this is a good win for Parasite over Marriage Story (it's also the first foreign film to win the WGA I believe which is amazing). if Bong beats Tarantino at the BAFTA tomorrow, he might have a really good chance w/ the Oscar.

shocked that Jojo beat out Little Women & Irishman. 

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i know back in september i kept going on about how jojo rabbit would win best picture. it won't but it probably would've if it had actually been a hit. weird case. it was a "crowd pleaser" that never found a crowd to please. lowest grossing nominee not counting the netflix films which for sure would've outgrossed it with a traditional release.

It did fine for an indie. I dunno, I guess Nazi satire really is just a hard sell on a major scale (yeah yeah, Inglourious Basterds made serious bank a decade ago but that was sold as Quentin Tarantino Presents: Brad Pitt Takes Down Nazis and who didn't want to see that movie?).

GG screenplay : Django Unchained

WGA : Zero dark 30 (DJ was not eligible)

BAFTA : Django Unchained

Oscar : DJ

GG screenplay : Birdman

WGA ori : The grand budapest hotel

Bafta The grand budapest hotel

Oscar : Birdman

GG screenpay : 3 billboard

WGA : Get out ( 3 billboard was not eligible)

BAFTA : 3 billboard

Oscar : Get out

GG : Green Book

WGA : 8th grade (The Favourite was not eligible and 8th grade miss out Oscar nom)

BAFTA : The Favourite 

Oscar : GB

BAFTA original screenplay will be key testing ground to see if Parasite really own the power to turn the table against QT's film. It is hard because Parasite is still largely unseen in UK

I maintain my stand, whichever film win the best original screenplay category in Oscar, win the best picture. 

• Like 1

The rapid rise of Taika has been impressive. He was doing his great low key films in New Zealand for years not being well known but acclaimed nonetheless, but post Thor he's fast become a geek icon and in demand everywhere, doing Star Wars or cameos or presenting opportunities, now winning awards, etc. He's not lost touch with his roots either, he's doing another small film in New Zealand again before he heads back to Thor. 

• Like 1