sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Jumanji 2 $59.25M | Frozen 2 $19.07M | Knives Out $9.14M | Richard Jewell $4.68M | Black Christmas $4.24M

8 minutes ago, MattW said:

I watched about 40 minutes of 6 Underground before turning it off.  Disappointing.

Yeah, I was expecting something like Bad Boys II but it was just headache-inducing. Pure Bayhem wasn't as fun as I was expecting, just very obnoxious. Also, Reynolds' schtick's getting old

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

Any box office predictions for it when it release wide next weekend?

It's really going to depend on a firm theatre count estimate. 
These limited releases have been all over the place lately. 

Judy  went with 500, then 1400 it's second wide week, and Jojo expanded to about 700 - 800 theatres it's first "wide" weekend and then continued to expand from there. Peanut Butter Falcon expanded to about 1000 theatres, whereas Dark Waters went for broke and expanded to 2000+. 
Very different strategies for the limited Oscar bait releases this season, so difficult to say where this lands, but I think it's more accessible than a lot of the above films and can support a 2000+ theatre expansion like Dark Waters. I would say at 2200 theatres, it could pull in a respectable 6-7 million weekend. What's important to remember is that the week before Christmas is soft for all adult fare as they are distracted. It's all about the multiplier with this one, especially with the road paved with gold for it in January/February. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Will Jumanji drop more than 50% next weekend ?

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Dec 14, 2018 1 $35,363,376   3,813 $9,274   $35,363,376 1
Dec 21, 2018 4 $16,463,662 -53% 3,813 $4,318   $64,563,725 2

ITSV fell 53% against a combined FSS of 121 from 5 openers (AQM + BB + MPR + 2nd Act + Marwen) last year, on way to a strong 5.4x final multi.

Would be thrilled if JUM3 can limit it's drop to 52-53% but may fall higher.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Spiderverse Amazing 8.6x 2nd weekend multiplier. Would guess more 6.5-7.5 for J3.   

If week is 136% of Wknd like Verse, then a 60% drop next weekend gives a final multi of 4-4.5 or so. I’d consider anything above that to be a good drop.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, I was expecting something like Bad Boys II but it was just headache-inducing. Pure Bayhem wasn't as fun as I was expecting, just very obnoxious. Also, Reynolds' schtick's getting old

Pure Bayhem is when he knows its ridiculous. I hated it whenever the movie decides to be a serious thriller about modern day Middle Eastern politics. Needed more stuff like the magnetic boat setpiece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

Check the tracking and movie specific thread 😂

Its been discussed a bunch.

Its just fine and in keeping with normal performance for family films that arent animated or comic books. Its also wayyyyyy better than most reputable tracking sites had it pegged for. 

Also insert #400mcurse very few sequels to "original" 400m films increase or keep significant attendance. Catching Fire and Frozen 2 are the only ones in recent years to buck it. So again, its behaving just fine. 

I saw Jumanji NL today and I enjoyed it well enough. It was a 3D showing at 12 noon and I was the only one in the theater, though of course that means nothing.

Still, the legs the 2017 Jumanji sprouted were so exceptional I fear (because I am rooting for this to do well) it won't do anything close to that film in the end. Maybe $230m DOM?  Still a solid money-maker but I am hoping for higher.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, is Black Christmas gonna be the 20th movie to get an F CinemaScore?

Moral: Black Christmas movies without Bob Clark being involved suck.

CLark Wrote and Directed the 1974 original and was a Executive Producer on the 2006 remake.

In between he wrote and directed  a little Christmas movie called "A Christmas Story".....

And to use a meme from "Chirstmas Story" Blumhouse seems to  have shot their eye out with "Black Christmas". They will probably get their money back but

won't see much profit on this one.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Black Christmas is one of, if not the, worst film I’ve seen this year. 

If people think the #MeToo angle is why people are downvoting it.... just wait until you see the “twist” unfold. 

Abysmal. 

Not seeing it at all;looks like a totally botched job.

The 1974 film is a classic, the 2006 not quite as good  but still entertaining; this version apparently sucks.

Bob Clark is turning over in his grave.

If Jumanji follows Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse...

Friday: $17.0M ($4.7M previews + $12.3M true Friday)

Saturday:$17.5M

Sunday: $13M

Total: $47.5M

This could very well have a better multi than ItSV though so there's a very good chance at over $50M for the weekend.

42 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I saw Jumanji NL today and I enjoyed it well enough. It was a 3D showing at 12 noon and I was the only one in the theater, though of course that means nothing.

Still, the legs the 2017 Jumanji sprouted were so exceptional I fear (because I am rooting for this to do well) it won't do anything close to that film in the end. Maybe $230m DOM?  Still a solid money-maker but I am hoping for higher.

Yeah, I have been calling 50/250 for awhile as my hopes (was hard to be optimistic as much last week with dead sales.) Unless it ends up really frontloaded (unlikely) its going to be aiming for that arena. Makes me happy - would love more of course. 

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not seeing it at all;looks like a totally botched job.

The 1974 film is a classic, the 2006 not quite as good  but still entertaining; this version apparently sucks.

Bob Clark is turning over in his grave.

The only thing it has in common is the title and the sorority setting. 

That’s honestly it. 

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Surprised at the low budget for Juamnji 2 (65 million). I though it would at least be above 100 Million.

$65M is the budget of the 1995's Jumanji, welcome to the jungle's budget is $90M and next level's budget is $125-132M.

Edited by Bagatelle31