sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Jumanji 2 $59.25M | Frozen 2 $19.07M | Knives Out $9.14M | Richard Jewell $4.68M | Black Christmas $4.24M

7 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

So Jumanji is on the high-end of Variety/Deadline's estimates, and Frozen jumped about like 150% from yesterday. That seems good for both

@a2k nah Charlie usually posts True Friday numbers. Trust me.

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Not on Friday 😁 i had same issue with frozen

:lol: big relief then.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

It's not really a super hero film though and it's IP is non existent versus Joker. The film won't get anywhere near the quality of reviews or audience rating of Joker. It doesn't look anything like Aquaman or WW either. I love Harley's character, everything else ......not so much.

Harley was the hottest character in DC comics in the past few years...and I think Margot Robbie is the perfect Harley...when you get the right actor/actress in the right role, magic at the box office happens, ala RDJ in Iron Man.

• Like 3

OT, but since it's Jumanji weekend...

For the December movie club, to get the kids hyped for the opening movies this month, I took one of the most underrated sequels of all time that combines the concept of jumanji with the space fantasy of some other movie coming...and we watched Zathura.

And damn, that movie might be better now than it was 15 years ago...it was SO funny throughout...if it could have had a more sensible and shorter 3rd act, it could have been a home run, but as is, it's still a very solid B (maybe B+ movie).  All the kids loved it, and seeing Peeta in the movie - damn, that one I hadn't realized:)...

So, if you need to get hyped for the movies this weekend and next, you could do worse than Zathura:)...and Jon Favreau directs it...so double positive recommendation, b/c he does do the funny and geeky movies well:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Harley was the hottest character in DC comics in the past few years...and I think Margot Robbie is the perfect Harley...when you get the right actor/actress in the right role, magic at the box office happens, ala RDJ in Iron Man.

I can't put anyone at RDJs level not even Captain America. She might get close to like Chris Pratt in his awesome rendition of Star Lord. I love her too, she's the draw.

At the time it came out, I thought Zathura had phenomenal CGI effects for the aliens. Come the DVD release, I learned they're 95% practical. My high school mind was blown. The power of Stan Winston

Jon Favreau knows how to do special effects. Cowboys and Aliens, weird as it was, had great combination of CGI/practical, Iron Man 1-2, and Jungle Book and Lion King. That's why I love him and his movies,  except maybe Elf.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I have been enjoying Kaley Cuoco Harley a lot.   

Might just be because she gets paired with Ivy and Robbie hasn’t yet though 😛 

• Like 1

Actually quite surprised by how poorly Richard Jewell is doing (Hollywood Reporter saying it could go as low as $4M for the weekend), even if I suppose it makes sense in retrospect considering it wasn't the easiest of sells. Even with a holiday boost, a total in the $25-30M range is as high as it's going.

I have gotta be honest with you guys — I kept confusing Richard Jewell with Uncut Gems until it was actually December. Never saw a trailer for either, and they both stuck in my mind as “two word small December adult movie that’s related to jewels somehow.”

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Ko 2.6

RJ 1.7 True Friday

BC 1.2 TF

That's fucking hilarious for BC (and for RJ, but the fact that BC is doing so bad sorta lessens the blow). 

Lol, I went from predicting 10M for BC in Survivor to predicting $0... who knew that that would have actually made by prediction CLOSER in true $ amount.