The Wild Eric

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker               47.50
Jumanji: The Next Level               10.25
Frozen 2                 4.90
Bombshell                 1.75
Knives Out                 2.50
Cats                 2.15
Richard Jewell                 1.00
Black Christmas                 0.72

Fri vs Sat: Carryovers got a bump. New releases a hold to slight loss. 

Could possibly be looking at more than 20% drop on Sunday.

Disney likely to report $175M-ish

Edited by budice

I’ll be honest, as big a fan as I am...my expectations for the movie were a 20% drop from TLJ. 

It didn’t have the hook of a cliffhanger and is the fifth SW movie in 4 years. Sure, you can throw ‘but it’s the finale’ at me - but really? Even I don’t feel that, so general audiences aren’t going to. This is just another huge movie in a series they’ve got used to seeing constantly in recent years. 

I’d have predicted $500-550 million domestic and see no reason why that’s not going to play out. 

it wouldn’t be BOT if we didn’t think the Sky was falling. But there are perfectly logical reasons as to why this is doing what it’s doing. Reason will win out in the coming days I’m sure 🤔

• Like 2

I agree that AOU didn't end up hurting the MCU at all and I agree that TLJ did hurt the SW franchise somewhat.  But it's funny,  as standalone films I feel TLJ is way way better than AOU.

AOU had rock solid world building (like the rest of the MCU).  As long as the foundations are respected, a movie can be bad without damaging a franchise.

Jar Jar binks is an example of something terrible that does nothing to hurt a franchise.  He may ruin a movie or two, but has zero long term impact.

Bad dialoge and acting hurt the movie they happen in, but have little impact on the franchise brand overall.

Edit:  TLJ is the opposite of AOU.  An entertaining movie that destroys a franchise by breaking the foundations that franchise is built on (the world building).

And why is he regarded as someone who would be the saviour of Lucasfilm? He already directed and screenwrote all of the prequel trilogy which, whatever your personal opinion, was definitely divisively received overall among fans, and overall pretty mildly or poorly received critically. (Perhaps not as relevant, but I was surprised to learn that of the original trilogy, George Lucas was director and sole screenwriter of only the first film, A New Hope. As a non-fanboy when it comes to Star Wars, I totally assumed George Lucas had directed all of those films.)

George can't fix it even if he comes back.  World building doesn't work that way.

Rey being 100 or 1000 times stronger than yoda (going by what she can lift with the force).  How do you fix that?  Are all force users going to be super jedis from now on?  How do you undo the weaponization of hyperspace from the last jedi?

ST trilogy turned the force into an ass-pull machine.  How do you take the force seriously again after Leia flying through space?

All the rules and understanding of star wars have been broken by this ST.

------------------------

The Star Wars movies are the pillars of the star wars universe, and those pillars are broken.  A retcon of this ST is the only thing that could fix the star wars brand, and that is impossible.  You might be able to reccon a TV series or game, but not a central movie.  George wouldn't be able to do anything if he comes back.

Disney can put bandage bandages on by doing quality shows like the mandalorian, but the broken world building from ST will plague Star Wars for the rest of time.

The people behind the ST considered star wars to be space wizards for kids.  Now that is what it has become.

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

yikes. Have to block someone who is super annoying trolling about SW9 now in multiple threads. I thought he would stick to OS thread but this is getting worse.

Are you talking about fastest man alive? He has taken over reddit too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

ST trilogy turned the force into an ass-pull machine.

In TLJ it was still fine. I had hard time digesting force projection/ghost doing as much as they did in TLJ but in TRoS Force users are fucking superhero + Wizards.

The things that force users do in TRoS look cool, and I actually think a Jedi should be able to do most of them, but they cheapens the previous films as you basically keep thinking why didn't they do that in some specific situation in previous films. In OT, jedis were basically, some mind tricks and martial arts. Now they can fucking...

I won't go in spoilers now.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 2

In my opinion, Star Wars is very good universe to begin with and I am sure Disney will do great job in the new trilogies. Just ignore Skywalker Saga now. Focus on Asia, SW can be huge here. May be USA/Europe won't be that big initially, but if Asia is cracked, it will be another MCU for Disney.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

7 hours ago, Force Ghost Cap said:

This says HELLO:

Togo_film_poster.jpg

No joke.  I'm halfway through it and it's amazing.  SOO MUCH GOOOOOD DOG CONTENT.  And they're doing a really good job of creating tension despite me knowing how it ends because I watched Balto like every day as a kid.

Sorry, but it can’t be amazing if you’re on your phone/computer while you’re supposed to be watching the film. And it can’t be that tense if it hasn’t held your attention for even half the runtime. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

SW really needs to go in a new direction like Old Republic or focus on stories set between RotJ and TFA wtih new stories and characters like The Mandalorian but on a larger scale. Also, there is a lot that can be done between the time of RotS and ANH

A $175M opening likely means around a RO finish. Also, it's likely to fall below RO WW. Think about this. The finale of what was once considered the biggest film franchise is likely to finish under a billion. 

Edited by CloneWars

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

tbf AOU only increased in China, it was down everywhere else IIRC.

It increased in a decent amount of OS markets (especialy in LA and Asia) but the ER dropped so hard between 2012 and 2015.

Example: Real to dollar

2012: 1.9 to 1

2015: 3.1 to 1

Euro to dollar:

1 to  1.32

1 to  1.10

And the list goes on, it doesn't explain all the drops (because it definitly did in a decent amount of them) but the ER did take a huge dip in only 3 years time.

• Like 2

What a rapid decline thus franchise had at the box office. Han Solo should have rung alarm bells.

Now imagine if Black Widow and a couple of MCU films disappoint at the box office. Disney will start sweating bullets because they are too dependent on franchises. Already running out of live action remakes and stars wars in rapid decline mode. Not looking good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

🙄🙄🙄😂😂

'Unnatural' 

Is it possible to learn this power?

30 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

25th best Saturday All-Time for SW

There's certainly work to do, here, Disney.

That's on them. 

Beating Black Panther?

25 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

SW really needs to go in a new direction like Old Republic or focus on stories set between RotJ and TFA wtih new stories and characters like The Mandalorian but on a larger scale. Also, there is a lot that can be done between the time of RotS and ANH

It does ~ 

Do you think they'll simply go into the future if they tackle an eventual Episode X?

Edited by Bart Allen