Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

22 minutes ago, a2k said:

Looks great. Had ended up 445 by Jan 3-5 weekend after 179 ow, close to your 460.

After a 36 Jan 3-5 weekend you have added 30 more to rest of the run. Feel the Jan 7th Tue is too low. Even in 2013/14 (same calendar as 19/20) the Tues went up even without discounts. https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2014/01/07

Thinking it will add at least 1.5x Jan 3-5 weekend. Hobbit2 added ~2x in 13/14.

TFA didn't grow on January's first Tuesday. There are no discount day in first 4 weeks.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2691925505/?ref_=bo_sh_tx

But yeah $36mn after $36mn is low. I would have done some formula error. Looking into it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

No, you ignore the fans and make the Star Wars movie you want to make.  If they hate it, let them learn their life doesn’t end because didn’t like what somebody did with a Star Wars movie

TLJ did that and look at where we are now  with a damaged brand and finale that will undoubtedly cost people jobs in Lucas film and Disney. So who wins there?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Image result for no one's ever truly gone star wars

Not as long as there's de-ageing technology.

If we have that, we have...

Image result for hope leia rogue one gif

Image result for indiana jones melting face gif

Out of reactions but umm yea hopefully they do NOT use anymore of that technology in their Star Wars films. 

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

No, you ignore the fans and make the Star Wars movie you want to make.  If they hate it, let them learn their life doesn’t end because didn’t like what somebody did with a Star Wars movie

Isn't that was Rian Johnson did? It was a lush and gorgeous film, but it wasn't a Star Wars film. Obviously you make the film you want to make - but Johnson still had to listen to Kennedy, whom had to listen to Iger, but when you create a narrative which goes against certain pre-established characterisations, creating rather odd sub-plots such as Canto Bight, so on and so forth ...

But it's no surprise, as I believe it was stated that they used the first draft of The Last Jedi as the shooting script.

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Like 1

Im honestly really excited for this movies holidays performance. I still think it will have relatively solid WOM, as there are some really great and crowdpleasing moments in the film. Otoh, i also could see a scenario where those moments are not enough to overshadow the stupidity at its core. We shall see.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Im honestly really excited for this movies holidays performance. I still think it will have relatively solid WOM, as there are some really great and crowdpleasing moments in the film. Otoh, i also could see a scenario where those moments are not enough to overshadow the stupidity at its core. We shall see.

at this point id take 1 Billion

profitable enough to not be a Flop for the people that like the film while scaring Lucasfilm shitless so the people that dont like this era might feel like there will be a positive change.

I've always liked TLJ but also have always realized how divisive it was among the fanbase. To me it's pretty evident that it's had a huge impact on star Wars box office moving forward. I'm not saying TROS should've been Endgame big, but it certainly should've been Infinity War big. And to clarify, I'm not trying to start a franchise war, I'm talking strictly box office numbers. I don't think Star Wars is dead. I believe Mandalorian got people excited again, I think the Feige Star Wars movie will get people excited, the Obi Wan series will get people excited.... I think there's a lot of positivity moving forward. But at the current time, as much money as it's making, it just feels like it should have been more and a bigger event. I still haven't had a chance to see TROS yet, but I'm confident in liking the film itself, which is ultimately what's most important to me.

• Thanks 1

1) A New Hope 10/10

2) Return of the Jedi 10/10

3)Revenge of the Sith 9/10

4) Empire Strikes Back 8/10

5) Rogue One 7/10

6)Attack of the clones 7/10

7) Phantom Menace 7/10

8)The Force Awakens 5/10

9) Solo 5/10

10)TROS 4/10

11) Clone Wars 3/10

12)The Last Jedi 0.5/10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 3

30 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

TFA didn't grow on January's first Tuesday. There are no discount day in first 4 weeks.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2691925505/?ref_=bo_sh_tx

But yeah $36mn after $36mn is low. I would have done some formula error. Looking into it.

Ok I didn't know that.

The Sat bump on 12th could be a bit more.

Wed drops may be lower instead of matching the Tue bump absolute number looking at TFA and TLJ.

Edited by a2k

Just now, Wonder Midget said:

As an ideas guy. George has a limitless imagination, but he's definitely weak in the dialogue writing and directing actors. But he could oversee everything, make sure nothing happens in a movie that will do damage to other parts of the story. Write a story and then let someone else do the screenplay. Stuff like that.

Also, he loves the characters and the world so he would be adamant to made them right. He also had the storyilne guidelines for Episodes 7, 8 y 9.

• Like 1

It is hard to counter a lot of the hate on here. There’s a gang mentality that quickly builds and quickly crushes the spirit of the many that like the movie/love Star Wars. 

I respect everyone’s opinion but I’m really not convinced a select few of you do - storming in all 2019-like, to just mock and point and think you’re the be all and end all when it comes to declaring what a film is like - based on two huge days of box office. 

As a huge Star Wars fan, I remember the dark times of 1999-2005. 

Whilst appreciative there are a generation that love those movies, that wasn’t MY Star Wars. These new movies, whilst irrefutably full of problems, are infinitely better films than those prequels. 

Again, it’s my opinion - but I would genuinely love to go out for a beer with some of you and you try and convince me otherwise. 

They feel like MY Star Wars that I grew up with and love. 

Regardless, and like I’ve said before...the finales of both of the previous trilogies were not close to being the most successful films in history. Each of them were marketed and hyped as THE END OF STAR WARS. Revenge of the Sith was the one we’d all been waiting for - Anakin turning into Vader. 

Skywalker does not have that kind of hook. No spoilers but there are things that happen in it that could have been killer cliff hangers two years ago - probably resulting in a bigger weekend than we’re going to get announced in a few hours. The trilogy has got a weird mapping to it due to their ever changing ‘plan’ - we all know that. 

Everyone in the world that’s interested in Star Wars knows this isn’t the last movie. In 1983 and 2005 they all thought that was it. Done. 

The ST are flawed movies, but they all have been for four decades to varying degrees. None of them the debacle of the prequels in my opinion. 

I’m not knocking those that love Anakin’s romance with Padme, Jar Jar’s buffoonery in the battle of Naboo - good will to all of those. 

Star Wars has always had some that love stuff that others hate. Opinions, debates, joy, despair - always. 

Let’s just respect others and not go completely overboard. It’s doing good business and we’ll see how it plays out through the holidays. 

Be realistic and look at how the finales to Star Wars normally do. If this finishes a bit off TLJ then there are reasons for that which have everything to do with the structure of the overall trilogy - in my opinion. 

I just get frustrated that there’s better conversation to be had from lots of people here that’s getting drowned out by a few haters.  Feige this, and Feige that.  It’s insufferable.  My team is better than yours!

What’s the point in drowning out the constructive conversation like you’re in the schoolyard? It’s embarrassing. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

I’ll be honest, as big a fan as I am...my expectations for the movie were a 20% drop from TLJ. 

It didn’t have the hook of a cliffhanger and is the fifth SW movie in 4 years. Sure, you can throw ‘but it’s the finale’ at me - but really? Even I don’t feel that, so general audiences aren’t going to. This is just another huge movie in a series they’ve got used to seeing constantly in recent years. 

I’d have predicted $500-550 million domestic and see no reason why that’s not going to play out. 

it wouldn’t be BOT if we didn’t think the Sky was falling. But there are perfectly logical reasons as to why this is doing what it’s doing. Reason will win out in the coming days I’m sure 🤔

I think that a lot of people here, and i mean a lot, are underestimating (even if they liked TLJ) how mucho that movie hurted this movie TROS weekend box office.

• Like 1

The Last Jedi SUN: $38.1M (-19.8%) Overall Weekend: $175.6M

The Force Awakens SUN: $42.1M (-11.3%) Overall Weekend: $179.6M

Batman v Superman (for fun) SUN: $31.6M (-33.3%) Overall Weekend: $169.1M

I think this weekend is looking like $178M so a Sunday of $40.5M.

Here are my terrible predictions for the festive period.

MON23: $28.4M/$206.4M (-30%)

TUE24: $19M/$225.4M (-33%)

WED25: $33.2M/$258.6M (+75%)

THU26: $33.9M/$292.5M (+2%)

FRI27: $28.8M/$321.3M (-15%)

SAT28: $31.7M/$353M (+10%)

SUN29: $23.8M/$376.8M (-25%)

MON30: $18.3M/$395.1M (-23%)

TUE31: $14.6M/$409.7M (-20%)

WED1: $20.5M/$430.2M (+40%)

THU2: $10.3M/$440.5M (-50%)

FRI3: $13.4M/$453.9M (+30%)

SAT4: $16.1M/$470M (+20%)

SUN5: $10.4M/$480.4M (-35%)

Which means the next two weekends would be;

$84.3M (-52.6%)

$39.9M (-52.7%)

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It is hard to counter a lot of the hate on here. There’s a gang mentality that quickly builds and quickly crushes the spirit of the many that like the movie/love Star Wars. 

I respect everyone’s opinion but I’m really not convinced a select few of you do - storming in all 2019-like, to just mock and point and think you’re the be all and end all when it comes to declaring what a film is like - based on two huge days of box office. 

As a huge Star Wars fan, I remember the dark times of 1999-2005. 

Whilst appreciative there are a generation that love those movies, that wasn’t MY Star Wars. These new movies, whilst irrefutably full of problems, are infinitely better films than those prequels. 

Again, it’s my opinion - but I would genuinely love to go out for a beer with some of you and you try and convince me otherwise. 

They feel like MY Star Wars that I grew up with and love. 

Regardless, and like I’ve said before...the finales of both of the previous trilogies were not close to being the most successful films in history. Each of them were marketed and hyped as THE END OF STAR WARS. Revenge of the Sith was the one we’d all been waiting for - Anakin turning into Vader. 

Skywalker does not have that kind of hook. No spoilers but there are things that happen in it that could have been killer cliff hangers two years ago - probably resulting in a bigger weekend than we’re going to get announced in a few hours. The trilogy has got a weird mapping to it due to their ever changing ‘plan’ - we all know that. 

Everyone in the world that’s interested in Star Wars knows this isn’t the last movie. In 1983 and 2005 they all thought that was it. Done. 

The ST are flawed movies, but they all have been for four decades to varying degrees. None of them the debacle of the prequels in my opinion. 

I’m not knocking those that love Anakin’s romance with Padme, Jar Jar’s buffoonery in the battle of Naboo - good will to all of those. 

Star Wars has always had some that love stuff that others hate. Opinions, debates, joy, despair - always. 

Let’s just respect others and not go completely overboard. It’s doing good business and we’ll see how it plays out through the holidays. 

Be realistic and look at how the finales to Star Wars normally do. If this finishes a bit off TLJ then there are reasons for that which have everything to do with the structure of the overall trilogy - in my opinion. 

I just get frustrated that there’s better conversation to be had from lots of people here that’s getting drowned out by a few haters.  Feige this, and Feige that.  It’s insufferable.  My team is better than yours!

What’s the point in drowning out the constructive conversation like you’re in the schoolyard? It’s embarrassing. 

I mean ROTS would have broken the OW record if it opened over a three day and it still broke the biggest opening day record. It won its year domestic by over 100 million in 2005 money and came in second place WW  to Potter by only 50 million. So I’m calling BS on your premise. Hell it out grossed the ROTK domestic 

Edited by boomboom234
  • Like 5

Just now, Krissykins said:

Sorry, but it can’t be amazing if you’re on your phone/computer while you’re supposed to be watching the film. And it can’t be that tense if it hasn’t held your attention for even half the runtime. 

I refuse to watch any movie with dogs in it since i watched the movie "Marley and me" at the theater, i was crying like a little bitch for half a movie and all around me, not only my friends, were laughing at me.

41 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The last jedi likely took 100 million we off solo and likely 200 million for this film 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, edmkh said:

I think that a lot of people here, and i mean a lot, are underestimating (even if they liked TLJ) how mucho that movie hurted this movie TROS weekend box office.

I think The Last Jedi's mixed audience reception and then the mixed reviews hurt it.

• Like 1

If people like RJ want to do something new, he can always try to invent a whole new universe/ franchise, SW is a half-century IP, there is cultural and historical significant to this IP and its underlying principle has to be abide. 

What RJ did to SW is as bad as people adding new structure on top of the historical site such as status of Liberty. Pisa leaning tower, Eiffel tower, Taj Mahal. 

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

My rankings for star wars 

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2.A New Hope 

3.Return of the Jedi

4.Revenge of the Sith

5. Rogue One 

6. The Force Awakens 

7. The Phantom Menace 

8. Solo

9. Attack of the Clones