Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

@The Panda there is nothing to gain working with that segment of the board. Data and reason are not worthy substitutes for emotion and inner hate / or love (depending on the film.) 

Also, amazing how many posts some people make - you dont realize it till you have them on ignore and have to scroll past all their trolling 😂

Pretty much done with it now.  It’s worth at least pointing out not-so-good reasoning on occasion.

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Despite the not so great news I’m looking forward to seeing the movie with my dad.  He my sister and I would always see a SW movie together.  Sadly my sister is no longer with us but she’ll be there in spirit 

I'm so sorry. It is beyond difficult to lose a sister.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Can't speak for others, but for me it was TFA + TLJ combined which killed the interest for TROS. Still, I love Star Wars and there is plenty to appreciate in these two movies, but I just don't feel any excitement for Ep. 9.

My ranking:

1. ANH

2. ESB

3. ROTS

4. ROTJ

5. TPM

6. R1

7. AOTC

8. Solo

9. TFA

10. TLJ

1-5 love

6-8 like

9-10 okay

Yeah, not sure what his ranking is off the top but my Best Friend is this way - he griped a lot about TFA and then lost his mind with TLJ.... former first showing attender that doesn't plan to see ROS in theaters... so there are definitely some for whom it was more than 1 film. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I guess for me, I have a hard time understanding the mentality behind one single movie turning people completely off a series.  Like you're done and that's it, no more interest.  You've spent years and years being a fan, in many cases, literal decades being a fan, but that one movie just killed all the interest for you.

I don't like the prequels and I think TROS is quite a bad film, but I'm not swearing off Star Wars because I didn't like it. 

I just don't get it.  

I’ll take it. I’m not swearing off Star Wars I love Star Wars the OT the PT the Clone Wars Rogue One. I read the expanded universe books as a kid. TLJ only killed my interest in this trilogy and once it’s over and changes have been made ill happily go back to cheering it on. It’s like in soccer once a manager has lost the squad you don’t double down you fire him and move forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think one massive factor that people are ignoring is not just a specific backlash to The Last Jedi per se, but also a backlash to Star Wars fandom resulting from the histrionic responses to The Last Jedi.

For me, the *movie* TLJ didn't put me off Star Wars per se - I rather enjoyed it, certainly more than TFA and any of the Prequels - but the entire cultural shambles that occurred around it DID.

Star Wars fandom, to the outside, looks and feels toxic and full of people who don't know what they want but know that they're angry. I'm not saying that's what I think, by the way, I'm saying that that is how it comes across sometimes and it reflects negatively on the product as a whole.

Also, the specialness has reduced. We are now 10 films deep into a saga where the number of 'great' movies is, at an absolute maximum, 4 (and at a minimum of 2). The whole thing can't help but feel severely diluted at this point.

I still don't understand the whole Last Jedi anger now. It clearly exists. I remain of the opinion that anyone who legitimately thinks that The Last Jedi is a weaker film than any of the prequels probably does not carry an objective perspective and really needs to be approached with caution in terms of their ability to evaluate any narrative art. 

Ps, I'd go

A+: Empire

A: New Hope

A-: Rogue One

B+: ROTJedi

C+: The Last Jedi

C: The Force Awakens

C: Solo

C-: Last Skywalker

D-: ROTSith

F2: Phantom Menace

F3: Clones

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

If Star Wars fans hated TLJ so much wouldn’t they want to go and watch TROS to prove a point? I mean since JJ Abrahams is the messiah and Rian Johnson is the devil. Wouldn’t you guys want to support the former’s movie just to stick it to Rian? 

TROS box office has more to do with it getting a meh reaction than anything else. TLJ was not hated to the point where its “sequel” is going to open to $50M less than it. It had great reviews and I’ll say a meh reaction overall from audiences: some people loved it and some people didn’t. It wasn’t like everyone who walked out of that movie hated it. 

I know someone smart is gonna bring up the drop between TFA and TLJ to prove that people didn’t like TLJ but did any of you consider that there was always going to be that big of a drop between the two films? TFA was so hyped up. TFA is not the standard for Star Wars films at the box office. It was an exception. It would be equal to people asking why the next Avenger’s movie saw a huge drop from End Game.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

I guess what I tried to say in my previous post is that if TROS was a good movie, it would do well at the box office. 

The MCU had a few duds (the first two Thor films, Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron) but that didn’t stop audiences from seeing Iron Man 3 or Thor 3 or the next Avengers film. Why? Because they were well received. 

As @Deep Wang mentioned earlier, if you’re done with a franchise because of ONE movie then I have to question whether you were actually a fan of it to begin with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

If Star Wars fans hated TLJ so much wouldn’t they want to go and watch TROS to prove a point? I mean since JJ Abrahams is the messiah and Rian Johnson is the devil. Wouldn’t you guys want to support the former’s movie just to stick it to Rian? 

TROS box office has more to do with it getting a meh reaction than anything else. TLJ was not hated to the point where its “sequel” is going to open to $50M less than it. It had great reviews and I’ll say a meh reaction overall from audiences: some people loved it and some people didn’t. It wasn’t like everyone who walked out of that movie hated it. 

I know someone smart is gonna bring up the drop between TFA and TLJ to prove that people didn’t like TLJ but did any of you consider that there was always going to be that big of a drop between the two films? TFA was so hyped up. TFA is not the standard for Star Wars films at the box office. It was an exception. It would be equal to people asking why the next Avenger’s movie saw a huge drop from End Game.

Again BS TPM and ROTS both would have broken the  OW record if they did a three day both won their domestic year in a walk, both broke the OD record. Star Wars doesn’t have to drop to the point it loses half its audience in two movies. That’s what I don’t get, for every other franchise if the difference between the first and third movies is half as big we rightly say toxic wom and a second entry that killed interest in the franchise. But because TLJ was some critical darling now we have all these other excuses when everyone knows damn well that if the opposite had happened the defenders would have bragging and attacking all those who hated on TLJ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Of course a lot of people who had issues with the Last Jedi are going to check out the rise off Skywalker

The issue is unlike endgame they're not going to watch this movie two to three times or drag along all their friends and family..

This is actually a very good point. The effect of fans is much more than just simply repeat viewings.

I mean I literally dragged half of my family to watch Frozen 2 with me on opening week and the other half two weeks later. And I have a biiiiiiiiiiiig family. My 3 tickets is insignificant compared to all the others.

For TFA we organized a viewing with like 30 people. For TLJ it was just close family. Don't know if there will be anything like it for TROS.

1 hour ago, boomboom234 said:

I mean ROTS would have broken the OW record if it opened over a three day and it still broke the biggest opening day record. It won its year domestic by over 100 million in 2005 money and came in second place WW  to Potter by only 50 million. So I’m calling BS on your premise. Hell it out grossed the ROTK domestic 

re-read what I said. It had a hook, but it wasn’t the biggest film of all time was it? It didn’t even make two thirds of what a 1997 romance made - and it was the final Star Wars! 
TROS if it had the hook that movie had I don’t doubt would have opened bigger. Plus like I keep saying, it’s the 5th Star Wars film in 4 years. Sith was the 1st in 3 years. 

Sith adjusted is $540 million. By the standards of the current conversation some of you are trying to spout - I mean what a failure!! The last Star Wars film only making $540 million!? Disaster. What happened to Star Wars?

There’s better discourse to be having about how this film is doing. I know it. Lots that are being shouted into a corner know it, but just can’t be bothered to engage. 

Carry on telling me ROTS was this juggernaut and TROS is a failure with that adjusted number. It doesn’t add up does it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's hard to explain. Some might have hated TLJ and might have watched TROS, others might have hated TLJ and avoided TROS due lack of interest. Others will watch anything related to Star Wars, no matter what. General audiences might end up coming to replace those who didn't come back to TROS.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

All this for a movie looking at an OW DOM around 180 and with stellar placement to maximize profits stateside over the Christmas and New Year's holidays? Calm down folks. At least give it until after next weekend to let any sort panic set in, no?

This movie is getting more focus and "panic posts" because its no ordinary film. It's meant to be the finale of a 40 years old saga. You don't want the final movie to possibly earn less than a R rated Joker movie. You also don't want the final movie to make less than the previous ones.  When i say "you", I'm talking about Disney. These numbers are big, but disappointing at the same time when you take everything into account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This movie is getting more focus and "panic posts" because its no ordinary film. It's meant to be the finale of a 40 years old saga. You don't want the final movie to possibly earn less than a R rated Joker movie. You also don't want the final movie to make less than the previous ones.  When i say "you", I'm talking about Disney. These numbers are big, but disappointing at the same time when you take everything into account.

Id rather take Disappointing over FLOP.

but I agree, I had this film at 1.3-1.5 range for most of the year so this is disappointing

Im wondering at the current rate what are the chances it crosses a Billion?

Edited by Jabba'sMoofmilker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

re-read what I said. It had a hook, but it wasn’t the biggest film of all time was it? It didn’t even make two thirds of what a 1997 romance made - and it was the final Star Wars! 
TROS if it had the hook that movie had I don’t doubt would have opened bigger. Plus like I keep saying, it’s the 5th Star Wars film in 4 years. Sith was the 1st in 3 years. 

Sith adjusted is $540 million. By the standards of the current conversation some of you are trying to spout - I mean what a failure!! The last Star Wars film only making $540 million!? Disaster. What happened to Star Wars?

There’s better discourse to be having about how this film is doing. I know it. Lots that are being shouted into a corner know it, but just can’t be bothered to engage. 

Carry on telling me ROTS was this juggernaut and TROS is a failure with that adjusted number. It doesn’t add up does it. 

In a sense it’s about expectations I would say. And I don’t think we are in disagreement yes this movie did not have a hook and the fault of that is TLJ. But no the Prequels as a whole were not as finally successful as the OT or these movies because these movies had the OT actors. I would argue just on principle a prequel will never do quite as well as a sequel. But they had the hype to open and break records at least while this one clearly doesn’t.  So while the ROTS was clearly not a juggernaut the fanbase was still hyped enough to create record OW interest and we just don’t see that here.

Also the at least it made money arguement is a terrible metric that’s DCU fanboy but it BVS made money sure it did it also did terribly.

23 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think one massive factor that people are ignoring is not just a specific backlash to The Last Jedi per se, but also a backlash to Star Wars fandom resulting from the histrionic responses to The Last Jedi.

For me, the *movie* TLJ didn't put me off Star Wars per se - I rather enjoyed it, certainly more than TFA and any of the Prequels - but the entire cultural shambles that occurred around it DID.

Star Wars fandom, to the outside, looks and feels toxic and full of people who don't know what they want but know that they're angry. I'm not saying that's what I think, by the way, I'm saying that that is how it comes across sometimes and it reflects negatively on the product as a whole.

Also, the specialness has reduced. We are now 10 films deep into a saga where the number of 'great' movies is, at an absolute maximum, 4 (and at a minimum of 2). The whole thing can't help but feel severely diluted at this point.

I still don't understand the whole Last Jedi anger now. It clearly exists. I remain of the opinion that anyone who legitimately thinks that The Last Jedi is a weaker film than any of the prequels probably does not carry an objective perspective and really needs to be approached with caution in terms of their ability to evaluate any narrative art. 

Ps, I'd go

A+: Empire

A: New Hope

A-: Rogue One

B+: ROTJedi

C+: The Last Jedi

😄 The Force Awakens

😄 Solo

C-: Last Skywalker

D-: ROTSith

F2: Phantom Menace

F3: Clones

That's a garbage ranking

Revenge of the sith is better than Rougue one and a new hope, and phantom menace is better than the force awakens and the clone wars is better than Rise of Skywalker, Rise of Skywalker isn't even worth the bandwidth to pirate

• Like 3