Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

5 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Do you think Disney will act that way? 

and also no one at least I’m not saying the prequels did better in saying they opened better which they did which shows the fans were more interested than they are now. Also TPM will undoubtedly have done better than 2/3 of this trilogy just a fact like you say

As it was the first film in 16 years. There are reasons for it. I’m never disputing that. The prequels were huge, just like the sequel trilogy has been. 
I think you’re getting where I’m coming from. All I want to get across to some is that it’s performing like it kind of always has done. 

as for how Disney will act....I think they’ve made it clear they’re going to make fresh movies away from the Skywalker stuff now. Which, as a fan, I think is absolutely the way to go. 

I think if they look at trends of how previous SW movies have done they’ll be very pleased with how the ST has performed. 

Good conversation though my friend :)

Much better than others now bashing other posters for their saga order of preference. Lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I imagine Star Wars is like Marvel. It has its die hard fans and its casual fans. 

TLJ wasn’t a mess. It wasn’t BvS level of mess where the majority of folks hated it. It had a small minority of folks that hated it because of what Rian Johnson did to the characters or whatever. So I’d imagine that level of detail that’s upsetting a huge Star Wars fan would go over the head of a casual Star Wars fan anyways. The only way discussing TLJ would be awful is if you’re talking to a fan who understands the characters enough to know that Rian “messed” up. 

See this where we disagree and I don’t think any amount of debating will change either of our minds on the issue 

I see no way RoS goes under 1B. Thinking it does 1.1B+ at the moment. 

With the holiday placement, 3+ multiplier is essentially locked too DOM.

Also, new Jumanji isn't blowing up like the last one... RoS is ultimately THE choice for families that was an action adventure fantasy over the holidays. Jumanji and Frozen will not bite into it. Obviously that Spies flick, Little Women and Uncut Gems won't either. 

Thinking 550+ DOM is just about locked. And, the same 550+ OS is just about locked for 1.1B+.

• Haha 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

As it was the first film in 16 years. There are reasons for it. I’m never disputing that. The prequels were huge, just like the sequel trilogy has been. 
I think you’re getting where I’m coming from. All I want to get across to some is that it’s performing like it kind of always has done. 

as for how Disney will act....I think they’ve made it clear they’re going to make fresh movies away from the Skywalker stuff now. Which, as a fan, I think is absolutely the way to go. 

I think if they look at trends of how previous SW movies have done they’ll be very pleased with how the ST has performed. 

Much better than others now bashing other posters for their saga order of preference. Lol. 

How are they making movies away from Skywalker stuff, when they are doing tv shows in the skywalker timeline, it makes no sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The only way discussing TLJ would be awful is if you’re talking to a fan who understands the characters enough to know that Rian “messed” up. 

Normally I agree with you, but not here. I feel like this is a narrative that needs to die off. There's plenty of us that thought TLJ awful because it was a poor film all-around, not (just) because of the way the original trilogy characters were treated...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Then why F&F8, JW:FK, Age of Ultron, Deadpool 2 (as a sequel to syper hyped up movie) didn't drop that much (percentage wise)?

Apart from Age of Ultron, the rest of those films had a similar quality that was on par with the originals? That’s why I said had TROS been GOOD or on par quality wise with the movies that came before it, it wouldn’t be seeing the drop that it’s having. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I see no way RoS goes under 1B. Thinking it does 1.1B+ at the moment. 

With the holiday placement, 3+ multiplier is essentially locked too DOM.

Also, new Jumanji isn't blowing up like the last one... RoS is ultimately THE choice for families that was an action adventure fantasy over the holidays. Jumanji and Frozen will not bite into it. Obviously that Spies flick, Little Women and Uncut Gems won't either. 

Thinking 550+ DOM is just about locked. And, the same 550+ OS is just about locked for 1.1B+.

3.1x is alive maybe, but locked? with RO as a spin-off doing 3.4x a few years back with 155 ow, can't say 3.1x for a three-quel is locked with heavier preview-to-ow front-loading than RO.

You know, despite Star Wars "disappointing" but still having a gargantuan opening and will probably be number one for several weeks till at least Dolittle/Bad Boys, at least I get pleasure watching Cats die to the point that NBCUniversal is making fun of it on their various late shows and SNL

Even when Disney disappoints, it wins.

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Normally I agree with you, but not here. I feel like this is a narrative that needs to die off. There's plenty of us that thought TLJ awful because it was a poor film all-around, not (just) because of the way the original trilogy characters were treated...

I really have no eggs in the basket. I’m not a Star Wars fan. I’m not a TLJ fan. I’m actually getting a headache arguing with people over this so I’m leaving it alone. 

But as I keep saying regarding this topic: one “bad” film in a sea of very solid ones (TFA, Rogue One, Han Solo) is a reason to stop supporting a franchise. Okay then. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, water said:

B+ it's over 😂😂😂

TLK opened with 192 and had A getting it to 550 or whatever. TROS is about to open lower and with a Justice League B+ 500 is out of reach. OS is -20% and reception is even worse than NA so 500 will also be difficult. 1b ceiling!

Lol you're hilarious. Christmas legs will factor it in having a shot at 600. Over a 3x is all but locked. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

You know, despite Star Wars "disappointing" but still having a gargantuan opening and will probably be number one for several weeks till at least Dolittle/Bad Boys, at least I get pleasure watching Cats die to the point that NBCUniversal is making fun of it on their various late shows and SNL

Even when Disney disappoints, it wins.

No it's not Rise of Skywalker will have a 70% drop

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

Closer to Endgame second weekend than The Last Jedi first. 

each dot is 1m ( Dec SWs RO - TROS - TLJ - TFA)

155........................179.........................................220............................248

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

You’re right on that point but I’d also argue that the narrative that it was bad didn’t form until a few months after kinda like TFA is now looked on worse then when it came out 

It is performing I guess on a similar level as the prequels in terms of gross but I would argue again that a sequel as whole has more potential than a prequel ever will. An example would be see how a Harry Potter sequel will do compared to TFB. But Disney no any company that sees its profits cut in half on its flag ship property in just four years will be furious. They will start fresh I agree but with a brand new team no Kennedy and certainly no Rian Johnson.

and same to you my friend. It was a good talk, and I agree much more useful. I’m glad you liked these movies by the way just not for me.