Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, grey ghost said:

As much as I despise Jar Jar and the prequels I can't deny that ROTS is generally remembered well.

How much of that is because the two preceding movies were downright atrocious, though? I mean, ROTS is a definite improvement, of course, but I can't help but feel that the impression that the contrast to the two before it amplified its image of a "good" movie. And it was definitely helped by being a satisfying trilogy ending. TFA as well, I feel, is also held up in a more positive light than the movie itself would warrant due to what came before it.

As such, judging by reactions to TROS so far, I have a hard time seeing it be re-evaluated further down the line. 

Will be interesting to see, of course.

• Like 1

Just now, gadd said:

David Fincher has a new movie coming out called Mank starring Gary Oldman which will be distributed by Netflix. Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley could potentially be ready for release this time next year (though I'm not super confident it will be). I know the following filmmakers are not always Oscar-friendly but Edgar Wright, Charlie Kaufman, Sofia Coppola and Andrew Dominik have projects in the works which should come out in 2020. It's not the most exciting year on paper in terms of blockbusters but in regards to new films from widely-acclaimed directors it's pretty stacked.

Nice! I thought the Fincher was for 2021. I'm not into Edgar Wright movies but really glad Coppola and Dominik have projects, they're great. Also I guess Ridley Scott and Paul Greengrass are dropping big things in Oscar season as well, even if they have fallen off recently. And Tom McCarthy - Spotlight somehow ended up underrated. It looks like Aaron Sorkin has a movie about the Chicago 7 with a great cast, which is interesting in theory but idk I thought Molly's Game was bad.

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

How much of that is because the two preceding movies were downright atrocious, though? I mean, ROTS is a definite improvement, of course, but I can't help but feel that the impression that the contrast to the two before it amplified its image of a "good" movie. And it was definitely helped by being a satisfying trilogy ending. TFA as well, I feel, is also held up in a more positive light than the movie itself would warrant due to what came before it.

As such, judging by reactions to TROS so far, I have a hard time seeing it be re-evaluated further down the line. 

Will be interesting to see, of course.

It has good critic and audience scores (other than its RT which was subject to mass review bombing) in isolation, not just in comparison to the other two. So I'd say ROTS is generally well liked on its own merits. If anything the not-so-great reception to the previous two hurt it as people lumped it in with those two.

What do you get when you cross a whiny fanbase with a corporation that caves in and treats them like the GA?

I'll tell you what you get; YOU GET WHAT YOU FUCKING DESERVE!!!

ok I'm done. reminder that joker is now available on digital

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

I will finalize my tracking numbers for previews around 4pm CST today, but as of right now I'm predicting $35m in previews and an OW in the $180-190m range for TROS. 

As for Cats, maybe $13-16m.

Sub 200 OW for TROS? You are kidding , BRO, it is at least above 200.

Just now, Menor said:

It has good critic and audience scores (other than its RT which was subject to mass review bombing) in isolation, not just in comparison to the other two

How can you be sure of that, though? It's pretty much impossible to have a judgement on any of the two new trilogy movies in a vacuum. Audiences and critics are fully aware of what came before them and there will be some bias leaking through when reviewing. You hated AOTC and found ROTS competent? Your subconscious is likely to rate it higher than you would if you were viewing it in isolation. 

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

How can you be sure of that, though? It's pretty much impossible to have a judgement on any of the two new trilogy movies in a vacuum. Audiences and critics are fully aware of what came before them and there will be some bias leaking through when reviewing. You hated AOTC and found ROTS competent? Your subconscious is likely to rate it higher than you would if you were viewing it in isolation. 

That's just speculation. You could easily say that if someone hates AOTC then they will go into ROTS with a negative mindset and be more inclined to dislike it. No way to know so I prefer to just treat people's opinions as they are.

I know this sounds dramatic and I'm not necessarily predicting it, but it would be interesting if a TROS backlash/major underperformance signaled a big downward shift for Disney going forward. I mean, they brought out all the big guns this year and most of their scheduled slate next decade remains a bit of a question mark. Even MCU is a question mark going forward, considering EG was a definitive era ender. Disney has alwasy been a company with major ebbs and flows of success prior to this decade, how crazy would it be to see them fall from grace in a time where it seems impossible to imagine them as anything but #1? 

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm lowkey worried that BW will be deemed unnecessary by the general public like SOLO was.

Difference is that ScarJo is very well liked and established in the role. BW will do good. Below Thor Ragnarok domestic would surprise me. 

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

It has good critic and audience scores (other than its RT which was subject to mass review bombing) in isolation, not just in comparison to the other two. So I'd say ROTS is generally well liked on its own merits. If anything the not-so-great reception to the previous two hurt it as people lumped it in with those two.

Lumped it in with those 2 for good reason. There is still a lot of bad writing/acting in Sith, especially for Anakin. 

Just now, VenomXXR said:

Highly unlikely at this point. The numbers don't lie. 

That and Deadline Hollywood is apparently in a back room trying to write a narrative to gloss over whatever these early numbers are or write an obituary. The industry silence at this hour is deafening. 11 o'clock and not even a peep. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Lumped it in with those 2 for good reason. There is still a lot of bad writing/acting in Sith, especially for Anakin. 

Your subjective opinion about it is totally irrelevant to what I was saying. I was talking about the overall reception of ROTS.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know this sounds dramatic and I'm not necessarily predicting it, but it would be interesting if a TROS backlash/major underperformance signaled a big downward shift for Disney going forward. I mean, they brought out all the big guns this year and most of their scheduled slate next decade remains a bit of a question mark. Even MCU is a question mark going forward, considering EG was a definitive era ender. Disney has alwasy been a company with major ebbs and flows of success prior to this decade, how crazy would it be to see them fall from grace in a time where it seems impossible to imagine them as anything but #1? 

Next year's slate is very weak compared to this but even though they may get 'only' 1-2 billion dollar pictures next year everything else besides Artemis Fowl will likely do well. It'll be nice to see some distrubition of wealth.... unless every other studio flounders.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

Your subjective opinion about it is totally irrelevant to what I was saying. I was talking about the overall reception of ROTS.

ROTS had a better reception overall with the SW fanbase then this film and TLJ i think. 

1 minute ago, Eastwood47 said:

That and Deadline Hollywood is apparently in a back room trying to write a narrative to gloss over whatever these early numbers are or write an obituary. The industry silence at this hour is deafening. 11 o'clock and not even a peep. 

Hollywood reporter posted an article an hour ago. They are sticking with 175-200 million, and are saying Disney is going with 160 million.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-star-wars-devour-cats-175m-us-bow-1263538

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Hollywood reporter posted an article an hour ago. They are sticking with 175-200 million, and are saying Disney is going with 160 million.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-star-wars-devour-cats-175m-us-bow-1263538

That is not reporting the numbers. That is industry spin. I just want the numbers.