Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

I am just going to say this:

People who think TLJ had great WoM and only internet 'trolls' didn't like it are wearing rose coloured glasses.

The weak legs for december, bad scores (party by trolls yes) on many website (the biggest cinema chain rating of TLJ were 71, TFA 81, Solo 64), worse legs almost everywere. It's clear that WoM wasn't nearly as good as TFA.

People who think TLJ is the only reason TROS is doing badly are clearly also wrong. Once the reviews came in we saw a clear slowdown in the tracking thread, TROS didn't sell it self as well as the other 2, both TFA and TLJ hurt TROS in Asia (people weren't happy with TFA in most Asian countries, so this is not on TLJ (TLJ didn't help but it definitly didn't start it ).

TLJ didn't have amazing WOM because a lot of people did really love it but clearly there is also a big group that totaly didn't like it. More so than with other movies where some people love it, some hate it most people fall in the middle. The last jedi was more like a lot of people really really liked it and a lot of them really really disliked it with a smaller middel group than normal.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

Lol you're hilarious. Christmas legs will factor it in having a shot at 600. Over a 3x is all but locked. 

Not sure I'm on board with RoS having a real shot at 600 just yet but, yeah, this... Having Christmas and New Year's on Wednesday this calendar year is probably the most ideal placement to maximize returns. I think some are missing that. It essentially guarantees a 3+ multi. Would've done the same for TLJ too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

I’d want to see how this week plays out and the second weekend drop to see where the legs for TROS are headed. I think it’s too soon to determine whether it’s beloved or disliked. But if it’s the latter then I’m not sure it can manage to get to $600M. It’ll probably fall between $500M-600M so then we can have another Star Wars movie to discuss for years about whether it was well received or not :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Apart from Age of Ultron, the rest of those films had a similar quality that was on par with the originals? That’s why I said had TROS been GOOD or on par quality wise with the movies that came before it, it wouldn’t be seeing the drop that it’s having. 

I mean JW:FK was horrible, much worse than the first one, and it still didn't drop much. F&F8, well, yes, almost on the same level as 7, but it didn't have the same boost/appeal (Paul Walker's death and super popular tribute to him), it still managed a reasonable drop despite losing one of its key actors. TFA to TLJ drop wasn't normal no matter how you spin it, it could have grossed like 300-400 mln more with good reception.

Movie Distr Gross %LW Thr Thr
Chng
Per
Thr
Total
Gross
W
- (4) Richard Jewell Warner Bros. $2,565,000 -45% 2,502 n/c $1,025 $9,517,518 2
- (13) Parasite Neon $460,000 -27% 227 -79 $2,026 $21,786,805 11
- (12) Playing with Fire Paramount… $149,941 -77% 287 -1,094 $522 $43,723,000 7
- (15) Joker Warner Bros. $140,000 -70% 201 -352 $697 $333,453,468 12
- (24) Terminator: Dark Fate Paramount… $45,935 -66% 120 -130 $383 $62,196,000 8
- (38) 63 Up BritBox $32,945 -24% 21 +1 $1,569 $158,387 4

14 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Like TLJ did right? Also 3x 175 gets it to 525 no where need 600

Holidays weren't placed as well for TLJ. And, it opened with two weekends before the weekend following Christmas, no? At least I think it did.

I will say, while I suspect audiences certainly like RoS more than TLJ. I don't get the sense that it's anywhere near as liked as TFA or RO. I'm thinking a multiplier between 3.1 and 3.4 at the moment.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Just now, pepsa said:

I am just going to say this:

People who think TLJ had great WoM and only internet 'trolls' didn't like it are wearing rose coloured glasses.

The weak legs for december, bad scores (party by trolls yes) on many website (the biggest cinema chain rating of TLJ were 71, TFA 81, Solo 64), worse legs almost everywere. It's clear that WoM wasn't nearly as good as TFA.

People who think TLJ is the only reason TROS is doing badly are clearly also wrong. Once the reviews came in we saw a clear slowdown in the tracking thread, TROS didn't sell it self as well as the other 2, both TFA and TLJ hurt TROS in Asia (people weren't happy with TFA in most Asian countries, so this is not on TLJ (TLJ didn't help but it definitly didn't start it ).

TLJ didn't have amazing WOM because a lot of people did really love it but clearly there is also a big group that totaly didn't like it. More so than with other movies where some people love it, some hate it most people fall in the middle. The last jedi was more like a lot of people really really liked it and a lot of them really really disliked it with a smaller middel group than normal.

I hate to disagree. I have been a life long Star Wars fan starting with Ep. 4 as a 12 year old. I consider TLJ the worst star wars movie made and it harmed the most successful movie franchise of all-time in terms of overall revenue. I have watched  all episodes movies no less than 7 times, except TLJ. Only 2 times.