Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Rian Johnson is 100 times more talented than either of them.

Doesn't matter. It's clear audiences did not forget The Last Jedi. So why would they support the trilogy of the man that made that film? Disney does not need the opening of a trilogy film underperforming and with Rian there's a risk it will just on that merit.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

US taste sucks like China where Universal give it up.

I find this funny because Nolan’s films does very well in China. No forgetting Zootopia and coco did very well there. 

So don’t throw such general statements around.

TLJ reception would be 100% better if it ended with Luke lifting his x wing out the water and leaving ach to rather than dying looking like he'd taken a massive shit in a toilet

It would maintain the fake out battle but would also signify Luke is powerful enough not to die using force skype.

And OT fans would have one final film with Luke to look forward to

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

You know, I have a few theories about why men showed up, but women abandoned the movie in droves this weekend...

1st theory - this thread.  Women run from toxic situations...and the back-and-forth arguing over "is it this or is it that" would just repel them in a holiday season.  In a time when they are focused on bringing joy to the households, they don't want to hear the bickering.  It's why before this ever opened, I thought everyone should wait on Jumanji legs...one thing that movies doesn't do is cause "drama" - no one needs extra drama at Xmas...

2nd theory - Dead Leia/Padme - unlike the other male characters, the strong female ones were dead in action and/or real life...the only female character of any note left was Rey, and her progression through the 1st 2 movies has been more cold in tone on screen and been "off on its own" - so, she doesn't interact with the whole gang and bring light like the other 2 huge female characters did in their trilogies.  So, going into this movie, what's there for the under 25 female, who disappeared?  

I think both theories apply...and I think Disney is gonna regret their theater terms when it comes to legs.  Like TLJ, this movie, with this open and tepid WOM, will get dropped en masse in weekend 5 from theaters (calling 2000+ theater drop now), and may face drops of individual screens and showings on Xmas day onward by 12s and lower, who are now gonna figure that maybe 4 screens won't sell out, so I might as well keep 50% from LW or Spies in Disguise vs only 35% from TROS and swap showings...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Doesn't matter. It's clear audiences did not forget The Last Jedi. So why would they support the trilogy of the man that made that film? Disney does not need the opening of a trilogy film underperforming and with Rian there's a risk it will just on that merit.

Audiences don't care who's directing what film unless it's Nolan, Spielberg, or Cameron. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t think anyone believes that. On either side of the argument. Maybe Disney execs did. 

I saw that statement many times..its part of why people are reveling in the movie's disappointment.  A lot of people would condescendingly say "psh you'll be back when 9 comes out." It was pretty annoying.  I genuinely think TLJ splintered the fandom, and that is why way back when solo came out i was already predicting under 1 bil for 9.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

TLJ reception would be 100% better if it ended with Luke lifting his x wing out the water and leaving ach to rather than dying looking like he'd taken a massive shit in a toilet

It would maintain the fake out battle but would also signify Luke is powerful enough not to die using force skype.

And OT fans would have one final film with Luke to look forward to

Honestly so true. Killing Luke off was such a huge mistake especially post the Carrie Fisher situation 

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Audiences don't care who's directing what film unless it's Nolan, Spielberg, or Cameron. 

Oh I promise you they will care about the person that made The Last Jedi returning to SW.

This is the same reaction we had for people saying oh shut up you'll watch 9.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova said:

The MCU had a few duds (the first two Thor films, Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron)

Kinda OT but there's been some weird revisionist history with Thor since Ragnarok. I don't remembere Thor 1 being a dud at all, it was better received (see also: Loki) and made more noise/money than Captain America.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Honestly so true. Killing Luke off was such a huge mistake especially post the Carrie Fisher situation 

Of which they couldnt do anything with at that point? I mean the Carrie Fisher situation came at such a point that no legitimate changes could have been made besides scrapping the whole film and starting over. 

• Like 2

Questionable decision to kill Luke in Last Jedi + Star Wars brand saturation over last few years + No major OT Actor visible in marketing + poor reviews = WHAT WENT WRONG