Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It’s pretty much an agreed fact that if people don’t care for a movie, then they likely won’t show up for a sequel. TLJ is no exception 

and since when did anyone think JJ was the messiah? 

No people loved the inspired genius of Rian Johnson and when they saw  J.J. and this movie we’re different they were so disappointed they didn’t come how can there be any other reason 

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Just make a Star Wars / Guardians of the Galaxy crossover and the money will be flowing from all over the world 🤑💰💸

I mean... as far as the MCU goes, GOTG isn't in their top tier for OS numbers. So, yeah, suppose that's where SW fits now.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It’s pretty much an agreed fact that if people don’t care for a movie, then they likely won’t show up for a sequel. TLJ is no exception 

and since when did anyone think JJ was the messiah? 

Thor 3 and Iron Man 3 beg to differ. If the sequel is well received all bets are off. The problem TROS has is that it’s not being well received either. I never said TLJ had no effect. I said it doesn’t explain the $50M drop off in the OW. If TROS was being well received with great reviews we’d be looking at a $200M+ OW. If TROS opened to say $205M with good reviews I’d be 100% on board with TLJ decreasing the OW. But by $50M when said sequel isn’t being received well? Yea sorry you can’t just blame that on TLJ. 

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

When TROS has weak legs it’ll also be Rian’s fault, right :ph34r:

Well given that The Last Jedi made over $700 million less than The Force Awakens ...

He'll be the fall guy - I mean you could tell JJ was slighting him in some of those interviews as far as decision making was concerned. But I'm expecting to hear the typical "We made a film for the fans" narrative short after - undoubtedly - the Disney executives and shareholders have their say.

Edited by Bart Allen

Disney making a MCU-SW crossover is equivalent to WB making a Middle Earth-HP crossover (starring Frodo Potter, Dumbledalf, Sam Weasly, Galadriel Granger, dwarfs, dragons, giants, wizards, wands, rings and mountains).

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Can't be as bad as Sony's proposed Men in Black and 22 Jump Street crossover 😂

That sounds horrible. Next thing you know they’re just gonna through Jumanji in there as well. 

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Thor 3 and Iron Man 3 beg to differ. If the sequel is well received all bets are off. The problem TROS has is that it’s not being well received either. I never said TLJ had no effect. I said it doesn’t explain the $50M drop off in the OW. If TROS was being well received with great reviews we’d be looking at a $200M+ OW. If TROS opened to say $205M with good reviews I’d be 100% on board with TLJ decreasing the OW. But by $50M when said sequel isn’t being received well? Yea sorry you can’t just blame that on TLJ. 

Iron man 3 was a sequel to the TA more than Iron man 2. And Thor 3 brought in the hulk and was more a follow up to Ultron so it’s not a 1 to 1 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handling multi billions dollar franchises was always gonna be way more difficult than making pseudo risky movies like Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, Little Women or Parasite movies with a total lack of ambition in almsost every way. 

Their sole amition & excuse for existing is to cater and please cinephiles, critics & award bodies, a tiny but loud minority that dictates what good taste is.

My point being :

Disney s tentpole strategy was always gonna be the most difficult and riskier one.

Having a brand means nothing.

Making movies for general audiences is the most difficult  art form there is.

It is also th emost noble.

That s why most of the pseudo artist (say the word with a french accent) directors cinephiles fap to don't even try to make those films, it scares them.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1