Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Am I missing something? Its Thursday morning. Previews haven't started yet. 

no you are right.

right now we start getting official wed numbers and a day later official thu numbers including preview.

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Difference is that ScarJo is very well liked and established in the role. BW will do good. Below Thor Ragnarok domestic would surprise me. 

I think people forget what a monster Ragnarok was.

The hype after the Immigrant Song trailer was pretty intense.

I'm not sensing the same hype for BW.

I see under Winter Soldier (259 m).

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know this sounds dramatic and I'm not necessarily predicting it, but it would be interesting if a TROS backlash/major underperformance signaled a big downward shift for Disney going forward. I mean, they brought out all the big guns this year and most of their scheduled slate next decade remains a bit of a question mark. Even MCU is a question mark going forward, considering EG was a definitive era ender. Disney has alwasy been a company with major ebbs and flows of success prior to this decade, how crazy would it be to see them fall from grace in a time where it seems impossible to imagine them as anything but #1? 

Disney just had a record breaking year based on only 8 movies so far. No other studio comes even close. To say Disney might be facing problem or will face problem is looking at the situation wrong. The issue is with Star Wars NOT Disney as a whole. 

If the numbers floating around for disney+ subscribers are true then Disney has nothing to worry about. And these numbers are only from a handful of countries and based on just a few new shows. When it launches across Europe and Asia next year plus when it launches its horde of MCU plus other shows next year, its gonna see a huge uptick in subscriber numbers. 

Also regarding the MCU, again BW social media metrics show that people’s appetite for MCU movies have not subsided. Sure MCU may not pull 1.5-2b plus numbers as it eases off from Avengers movie for a few years and it likely wont see consecutive billion dollar grosses BUT its phase 4 movies should do well enough given that most of the scheduled movies are still of familiar and old characters. And when MCU pushes into phase 5 it had the trump card of Fantastic 4 and the Xmen. I think MCU will coast along just fine. 

As for other disney divisions like Pixar or remakes of old classics, again if this year is anything to go by, people still want and will go out to see these movies in big numbers. 

The only place Disney is struggling and will struggle in the future is Star Wars. And i hope they take some time off and approach it in a more organized manner next time

• Like 7

Just now, a2k said:

no you are right.

right now we start getting official wed numbers and a day later official thu numbers including preview.

Seems like so many people are expecting a car crash, that they just wanna get the popcorn out, never mind it's too early, lol. Playing in some markets already accentuates that.

Just now, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Come on guys, it is Star Wars and Disney, it is just too big to fail. You guys just overreacted IMO.

How does Solo fit into the theory of too big to fail?

Not a snark, honestly curious.  We've heard this before... its too big to fail.  The fans always show up.  Etc etc.  They said that about Solo, and then it didn't happen.

Seems like too big to fail is true until it isn't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Your subjective opinion about it is totally irrelevant to what I was saying. I was talking about the overall reception of ROTS.

This was your comment: "If anything the not-so-great reception to the previous two hurt it as people lumped it in with those two."

You act as if the movie should be treated separate from the others. The fact is George Lucas wrote Episode II and he wrote Episode III. The fact is Hayden Christensen was the actor in Episode II and Episode III. These are facts. The movies are directly linked together, regardless of my opinion on the quality of their work. 

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'm also confused. Are people looking for final projections because I doubt they will be much different from before.

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

no you are right.

Yeah it seems like those guys thought it was Friday morning. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

This was your comment: "If anything the not-so-great reception to the previous two hurt it as people lumped it in with those two."

You act as if the movie should be treated separate from the others. The fact is George Lucas wrote Episode II and he wrote Episode III. The fact is Hayden Christensen was the actor in Episode II and Episode III. These are facts. The movies are directly linked together, regardless of my opinion on the quality of their work. 

I agree the three should be considered in context with each other. But I was responding to the poster who claimed that ROTS was benefiting by being compared to the previous two, and showing that you can easily make that argument in the other way so it's pointless to try to "separate" it from the other two. I think we are in agreement as to how the films should be judged though we clearly disagree on their quality.

Just now, Menor said:

I agree the three should be considered in context with each other. But I was responding to the poster who claimed that ROTS was benefiting by being compared to the previous two, and showing that you can easily make that argument in the other way so it's pointless to try to "separate" it from the other two. I think we are in agreement as to how the films should be judged though we clearly disagree on their quality.

I don't know if we disagree on their quality. Do you think Sith is perfect? I think it's better than the first two, no question. The first two are pure garbage (3/10 type quality) in my view. But Sith is still rubbish overall (6ish out of 10) due to poor writing and acting in various scenes. The Frankenstein "NOOO" sequence is one of many that this statement applies to. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't know if we disagree on their quality. Do you think Sith is perfect? I think it's better than the first two, no question. The first two are pure garbage (3/10 type quality) in my view. But Sith is still rubbish overall (6ish out of 10) due to poor writing and acting in various scenes. The Frankenstein "NOOO" sequence is one of many that this statement applies to. 

The PT is my favorite trilogy and ROTS, AOTC, and TPM are 1, 2, and 4 on my SW rankings respectively, ROTS also being one of my favorite films of all time. I think Sith is definitely better than the other two but not by a huge margin. So we are in near-total disagreement on their quality but your overall point about how the films should be evaluated was still correct.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

The PT is my favorite trilogy and ROTS, AOTC, and TPM are 1, 2, and 4 on my SW rankings respectively, ROTS also being one of my favorite films of all time. I think Sith is definitely better than the other two but not by a huge margin. So we are in near-total disagreement on their quality but your overall point about how the films should be evaluated was still correct.

Here's what is interesting though, as far as the debate y'all were having about the impact (either positive or negative) of the first two movies on Sith's reception. I actually saw Sith before the other two prequels. Saw Sith in the theater due to the hype for Vader and had no desire to see the prequels up to that point. So my judgment of that film was not influenced by the other two prequels at all.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So my judgment of that film was not influenced by the other two prequels at all.

And you rate it 6/10. Now, imagine watching the two atrocities before it and thinking "Heh...that's not as bad" and you bump it up to a 7/10, which is about the average rating ROTS received. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Here's what is interesting though, as far as the debate y'all were having about the impact (either positive or negative) of the first two movies on Sith's reception. I actually saw Sith before the other two prequels. Saw Sith in the theater due to the hype for Vader and had no desire to see the prequels up to that point. So my judgment of that film was not influenced by the other two prequels at all.

Now that is interesting. I'm not sure how the film would be even a 6/10 in that case as much of what I love about it is the conclusion of subplots from TPM/AOTC. But then again some people watched and enjoyed Infinity War without seeing the previous MCU films which is even crazier to me.

Just now, Menor said:

Now that is interesting. I'm not sure how the film would be even a 6/10 in that case as much of what I love about it is the conclusion of subplots from TPM/AOTC. But then again some people watched and enjoyed Infinity War without seeing the previous MCU films which is even crazier to me.

Haha, well for whatever reason I wasn't interested enough in the first two prequels. But then they had all the hype going for "last Star Wars movie" and "see the creation of Vader" and so forth. So I jumped on board and saw it opening day. I'm not even sure when I finally got around to watching the other two. Must have been a few years after Sith came out.