Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, TMP said:

I'd give the edge to '17 over this year tbh

2017 was also very good, as was 2013 (terrible tentpoles, terrific indie to mid budget) and 2005. I'd say those along with 2019 and 2007 are the top five for me so far this millennium. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Menor said:

It already isn't performing like ROTS. ROTS 4-day was massive and blew away opening records (158 million 4-day when the three day record was 114 million, if it opened on a Friday it would have destroyed that record). Like I said BOM's numbers shouldn't be taken as actual admissions/attendance since the formula they use is very crude. 

Sure. Opening. Yet it was summer. 
Yet it didn’t exactly have out of this world legs did it?  By your estimation had it opened on the Friday it would have had, what, less than a 2.5 multiplier? 

I’m not dissing Sith either. At all. 
I’ll reiterate...all I’m saying is the Skywalker is on course to be about as attended as the last finale of the saga. Add to that there’s been tons of Star Wars in the last four years, versus three prequels over six - it’s doing fine. Which I’m sure you agree. 

Not directed at you fella. More a counter to the delirium from others that the franchise is in trouble and a $175 million weekend going into Xmas is some sort of disaster. 

Prequels were huge. Sequel trilogy is huge. All is how it always was, and continues to be. 

George is seen in a pretty positive light now considering, I wonder if George would get his redemption arc if he never sold the franchise and we never saw that it could be worse.

I think it was inevitable that the prequels would be seen in a better light no matter how the George's new trilogy would be received.

But on the other hand he kept making changes to the OT movies, he's even made one new change to the Han/Greedo scene. He wasn't going to let that ago and neither was the fanbase.

3 minutes ago, Royce said:

I said that in regards to their opening weekends trajectory

I like both trilogies and both endings

Very true. 👩🏻‍💼

It’s a shame that neither BOTFA nor DOS could hit over $1B+ WW like AUJ did, due to not so massive DOM-numbers. Granted  between $255-258M DOM & $956-958M WW for both Hobbit sequels weren’t anything catastrophic.

37 minutes ago, Royce said:

Battle of the Five Armies all over again...

Actually that trilogy and this trilogy's trajectory are very similar

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Considering their fumbling of DC this decade until just now they're turning the corner and the way The Hobbit films ended up plus now the Fantastic Beasts scenario no thanks

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Their recent track record with fantasy epics hasn't been too hot either with The Hobbit trilogy and Fantastic Beasts flicks.

When is the last time you all looked at the box office numbers of the Hobbit trilogy?

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That seems pretty extreme. I don’t think the legs can be any worse than TLJ’s 2.8, but it will be interesting to see how it goes!

I mean it’s already a worse IM than TLJ with a notably lower OW, so not off to a promising start 

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sure. Opening. Yet it was summer. 
Yet it didn’t exactly have out of this world legs did it?  By your estimation had it opened on the Friday it would have had, what, less than a 2.5 multiplier? 

I’m not dissing Sith either. At all. 
I’ll reiterate...all I’m saying is the Skywalker is on course to be about as attended as the last finale of the saga. Add to that there’s been tons of Star Wars in the last four years, versus three prequels over six - it’s doing fine. Which I’m sure you agree. 

Not directed at you fella. More a counter to the delirium from others that the franchise is in trouble and a $175 million weekend going into Xmas is some sort of disaster. 

Prequels were huge. Sequel trilogy is huge. All is how it always was, and continues to be. 

But you do agree that a $1.1B movie now isn't as big as a $850m movie in 2005 right (comparably).

2 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

George is seen in a pretty positive light now considering, I wonder if George would get his redemption arc if he never sold the franchise and we never saw that it could be worse.

I think it was inevitable that the prequels would be seen in a better light no matter how the George's new trilogy would be received.

But on the other hand he kept making changes to the OT movies, he's even made one new change to the Han/Greedo scene. He wasn't going to let that ago and neither was the fanbase.

As annoying as his constant changes to the OT were, at least he was willing to allow Star Wars to have a chronological end. Disney’s insistence on turning Star Wars into some Marvel wannabe is just annoying. 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

2017 was also very good, as was 2013 (terrible tentpoles, terrific indie to mid budget) and 2005. I'd say those along with 2019 and 2007 are the top five for me so far this millennium. 

2013 was boring until the last quarter, when bonafide masterpieces like Llewyn Davis, Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity and Her dropped. I agree with those 5 though. 2017 just had so many incredible indies throughout it (Ghost Story! Sacred Deer! Good Time!) mixed with genuinely great bigger studio fare (Dunkirk! Blade Runner! Get Out!) that it's really tough to beat for me.

45 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think that has more to do with you missing the point of Parasite

Having such a clever point the director can abandon all logic in Parasite ?

Cool beans.

Franchise film directors wish they had that ridicuous double standard.

"I am an Artiste, screw logic and common sense."

The point of Parasite is probably so advanced and nuanced it probably flew over mey head for sure.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, The Futurist said:

Having such a clever point the director can abandon all logic in Parasite ?

Cool beans.

Franchise film directors wish they had that ridicuous double standard.

"I am an Artiste, screw logic and common sense."

Stick to Disney+ bro

9 minutes ago, mcclaine said:

Look, i know what you mean, but the first two Star Wars trilogies had a consistency, first one being the biggest, the second the lowest and the third one in the middle. Even their percentages are amazingly similar:

A New Hope: 307 (counting first release only, of course)

ESB: 209 (68% of ANH)

RotJ: 254 (82% of ANH)

TPM: 431

AotC: 302 (70% of TPM)

RotS: 380 (85%)

Now, let's see this:

TFA: 936

TLJ: 620 (66% of TFA)

TRoS: to finish at 82% (what made RotJ) would need to make 768m, and to reach RotS would mean 796m, which we know is impossible now. 

So, this is just bad, and 99% of this is due to The Last Jedi.

We’ve simply had a ton of Star Wars recently and the new movie just didn’t have the same hook as ROTS had. That was the one the fans had really been waiting for. 
I think it’s irrefutably a different situation. 

Plus if you threw in two spin-off Star Wars films opening between AOTC and ROTS, who knows how ROTS might have done. There is such a thing as too much SW - which even Iger has acknowledged. 

If it’s attended as well as ROTS I can’t see what the problem is. 

The anomaly is that TFA was so damn huge! We’re judging everything against that when it’s the biggest movie in US history.  Which had a cliffhanger that went into TLJ.  

The mighty Endgame that opened $100 million bigger still couldn’t touch it.  

I know people who had never seen Star Wars before who went to see the TFA. Took their friends, their family. It was a cultural event. 
TROS is merely a major movie event, joining a few others we’ve had this year. People have got used to Star Wars being a constant thing now. It hasn’t helped TROS that it didn’t have the same hook TFA, RO and TLJ had. 

See where we are in a week or so. 

Why was it I expected the opening to drop 20% from TLJ domestic, as did many others - yet now it’s happened it’s being treated like some kind of shock and disaster?  

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Stick to Disney+ bro

Parasite was so stupid I felt insulted to be honest.

The way it cheated was infuriating also.

But hey, yay ART !

Knives Out, Parasite, same cancerous films guided by passé, rancid ideologies you wonder how it can resonate with people from 2019.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1