Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, pepsa said:

But you do agree that a $1.1B movie now isn't as big as a $850m movie in 2005 right (comparably).

To be fair....over $1B+ WW for any movie is still as impressive as long as those said movies have a huge appeal.

There’s never been a $1B-grosser that had numbers that were deemed disappointing.

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

To be fair....over $1B+ WW for any movie is still as impressive as long as those said movies have a huge appeal.

There’s never been a $1B-grosser that had numbers that were deemed disappointing.

I wait for others to scream TLJ!!!! 
I won’t be one of them. Lol

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Having such a clever point the director can abandon all logic in Parasite ?

Cool beans.

Franchise film directors wish they had that ridicuous double standard.

"I am an Artiste, screw logic and common sense."

I can't think of a single blockbuster fantasy or otherwise that works without liberal suspension of disbelief. That includes the tightly written hyper-real ones like Dark Knight as well.

It actually applies to most movies in general. The key is the internal logic within the film and how consistently that's followed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Parasite was so stupid I felt insulted to be honest.

The way it cheated was infuriating also.

But hey, yay ART !

Knives, parasite, same conacerous films guided by passé idiologies.

Never seen someone so happy about purposely misinterpreting movies

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Sure. Opening. Yet it was summer. 
Yet it didn’t exactly have out of this world legs did it?  By your estimation had it opened on the Friday it would have had, what, less than a 2.5 multiplier? 

I’m not dissing Sith either. At all. 
I’ll reiterate...all I’m saying is the Skywalker is on course to be about as attended as the last finale of the saga. Add to that there’s been tons of Star Wars in the last four years, versus three prequels over six - it’s doing fine. Which I’m sure you agree. 

Not directed at you fella. More a counter to the delirium from others that the franchise is in trouble and a $175 million weekend going into Xmas is some sort of disaster. 

Prequels were huge. Sequel trilogy is huge. All is how it always was, and continues to be. 

I don't think it's a total disaster but I'm saying the performance is not as impressive as ROTS.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I’ll just say it. We’re about to enter the 2020s. 1B won’t even guarantee you top 45 WW. It’s no longer a guarantee of a truly notable success anymore, just being among the larger several movies of a certain year.       

1.5B is the 1B for the new decade.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I can't think of a single blockbuster fantasy or otherwise that works without liberal suspension of disbelief. That includes the tightly written hyper-real ones like Dark Knight as well.

It actually applies to most movies in general. The key is the internal logic within the film and how consistently that's followed.

Sure.

And yet the events of Parasite have statistically less chance to  happen than in Avengers Endgame, that s how the film cheats with everything at every corner : psychology, time, physics, geography etc.

Parasite is more sci-fi than Gravity ever was.

The internal logic of Parasite is a lame Deus Ex Machina every 15 minutes.

Yay internal logic !

But Parasite has a message, it is socially conscious, it has subtext, it says things about the world we live in.

:sleep:

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

TLJ was high art, the dumb masses just couldn't understand the genius of drinking green milk from sea moose tits

I don't get the criticism behind that. Why can't we just accept that, that creature was a space cow. You can believe that force exists but not space cows.

Don't tell me you don't drink other animal aka cow milk.

Just now, Menor said:

I don't think it's a total disaster but I'm saying the performance is not as impressive as ROTS.

Not disagreeing with you - but it is the holidays coming up and we’ve had constant new movies. 

I’ll stop banging the drum now. People get where I’m coming from.  We’ll check in a week from now and see how things sit. It might collapse for all I know; but I think it’ll have decent legs. See no reason why it won’t. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I’ll just say it. We’re about to enter the 2020s. 1B won’t even guarantee you top 45 WW. It’s no longer a guarantee of a truly notable success anymore, just being among the larger several movies of a certain year.       

1.5B is the 1B for the new decade.

I just checked, and in fact 1B in Jan 2020 will get you about as good a finish as $630M in Jan 2010, or $360M in Jan 2000.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

Just now, mcclaine said:

Well, this is for those who still claimed that only a small group of "toxic" people didn't like TLJ. 

As if Solo wasn't enough, here's reality catching up with you.

So the internal multiplier/WOM is bad because of TLJ? 

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I just checked, and in fact 1B in Jan 2020 will get you about as good a finish as $630M in Jan 2010, or $360M in Jan 2000.

And 1.5B Jan 2020 will get you as good a finish as $928M Jan 2010 or $650M Jan 2000.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sure.

And yet the events of Parasite have statistically less chance to  happen than in Avengers Endgame, that s how the film cheats with everything at every corner : psychology, time, physics, geography etc.

Parasite is more sci-fi than Gravity ever was.

The internal logic of Parasite is a lame Deus Ex Machina every 15 minutes.

Yay internal logic !

Not sure which elements of Parasite are sci-fi. But, regardless, certainly entitled to your opinion. 

Not sure why you seem to insert jabs at whichever "arthouse" movie/s you didn't like into discussions about blockbuster movies. Two very different things. Either way, do you. Plenty of great movies out there for all tastes.

• Thanks 2