Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think TRoS might potentially be a solid meme spawner, but this isn’t the spoiler thread, so we can’t really get into that. 

we can get into stuff from spots and trailers. 

They fly now is already memed as They flop now. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Adjusted for inflation of 2019 prices according to BOM, Revenge of the Sith is at $536.4M.

I'm talking about the % compared with the first movie. That's the best comparison. How much of the first one, the third one made. 

Easy.

In SW there's a good pattern of that, both trilogies did that almost exactly the same. 

46 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Never heard so much praise of the prequels in my life since Thursday lol 

All I’ve known about the prequels is that they’re god awful. I’ve never watched them. That’s just what I was told about them so :bagoverhead:

Just a random thought i got:

J.J. is good at creating cliffhangers (loved lost for example). What if Disney told him in secrecy "this will be the first part in a two parter finale, you now have two movies to write a good finale to TFA and a cliffhanger for TROS, and then Disney would surprise everybody at the end of this movie with something like  "TROS PART I", how much would have this movie make OW and how would it maybe change all the ideas that JJ Abrahams did have for TROS

Can we stop litigating Last Jedi now and just talk about how awful Rise of Skywalker is? I mean, from narrative choices to character development to performances (most of 'em anyway) to humor to dialogue to action sequences...it's all so dull, unimaginative, and brainless. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, edmkh said:

Just a random thought i got:

J.J. is good at creating cliffhangers (loved lost for example). What if Disney told him in secrecy "this will be the first part in a two parter finale, you now have two movies to write a good finale to TFA and a cliffhanger for TROS, and then Disney would surprise everybody at the end of this movie with something like  "TROS PART I", how much would have this movie make OW and how would it maybe change all the ideas that JJ Abrahams did have for TROS

Huh? Not sure I follow. Either way, don't think it would've worked. He, Kasdan and Lucas Film should've just mapped out a proper trilogy from the get go.

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Can we stop litigating Last Jedi now and just talk about how awful Rise of Skywalker is? I mean, from narrative choices to character development to performances (most of 'em anyway) to humor to dialogue to action sequences...it's all so dull, unimaginative, and brainless. 

Not the ROS review thread

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Huh? Not sure I follow. Either way, don't think it would've worked. He, Kasdan and Lucas Film should've just mapped out a proper trilogy from the get go.

Just thinking out loued what if Disney told JJ Abrahams in private that this would be the first part in a 2 parts finale and just suprise everybody with a end card that says "Part 1 of 2", how would this affects the box office of this OW and the whole box office of what would had been a 2 part finale for TROS hypothetically. (sorry for my bad english)

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

One of the big things I really noticed with the film that there's really no notable quotes or memorable lines. Dialogue was there just to advance the plot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edmkh said:

Just thinking out loued what if Disney told JJ Abrahams in private that this would be the first part in a 2 parts finale and just suprise everybody with a end card that says "Part 1 of 2", how would this affects the box office of this OW and the whole box office of what would had been a 2 part finale for TROS hypothetically. (sorry for my bad english)

Wouldnt have worked, too much leakage at JJs for one, but making another film would have required additional contracts with the cast and such which again wouldnt have been quite and would have forced more prolonged conversations in the lead up. 

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

I love that methode! also don't forget that frozen is heading towards 1.4B + so nr 11 would be 1.4B most likely.

Other methodes I also use to check how well something did it take the average and de median (number 5-6 dvided by 2) and compare the movie number vs those. So you get at rought idea how it stacked against the top of that era. Median I use if there are to many outliers etc.

Example: 1023.9m = mean and 922m median.

Today: 1965m = mean and 1859m as median.

First off interesting to see that we have a lot more varience now in the top 10 then we had 15 years ago. Probably because we have more markets now that can make a difference in the total.

What we see from this is that ROTS was 17.5% lower than  top 10 average and  8% lower than the median.

Now a days you would need 1611m between 1710m to be the same distance away from the top 10 mean/median.

So thing did get a lot top havier than 2 decades ago.

If you take out EG and Avatar you get (and using frozen2's 1.4B):  1681m average and 1588m and for an ROTS preformance you would need 1386 - 1460m today closer to the 11th place today.

thanks for the info!

if my math is accurate dom has shown less variance compared to 2005.

so you are right that os is causing the ww variance.

2005 2019
  600,788,188 936,662,225
  460,998,007 858,373,000
  441,226,247 760,507,625
  435,110,554 700,059,566
  431,088,301 678,815,482
  403,706,375 659,363,944
  380,270,577 652,270,625
  377,027,325 623,357,910
  373,585,825 620,181,382
  370,782,930 608,581,744
stdev 69,023,274 109,933,755
avg 427,458,433 709,817,350
var 16.15% 15.49%
Edited by a2k

2 hours ago, Nova said:

She dislikes KK so I’m pretty sure this underperformance is going to egg her to make over a dozen videos about this. 

I don't think she hates KK.  She's sung her praises often enough in the past.  And she liked TLJ.

But GR knows that, in the sandbox she makes her living in, there's more juice in pandering to the Star Wars malcontents, so that's what she does.

This trilogy is a prime example in not having a plan

Next time, get all your writers, producers, and directors together and map out the whole trilogy arc and smooth out some of the details later in the production process.  There was absolutely no creative direction and consistency across these 3 films, its scatterbrains as fuck.  Its actually quite in impressive in a way... just winging it with a property that you just bought for 4 billion dollars.  The buck stopped with Kathleen Kennedy and she's a hack, there I said it!  Don't hate women, promise.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Disney’s President of Theatrical Distribution Cathleen Taff tells Deadline, “The Force Awakens was a lightning in a bottle moment of pent-up demand. Comparing Skywalker to the previous films sets an incredibly high bar and is slightly unrealistic. At the end of the day, we’re looking at the total run through the holidays and think that this is a fantastic start.”

Do they really think it's a fantastic start? 😂

They're not gonna tell you 'Oh c*** we failed so hard!" even if it was the case.

However the movie will still bring much more money than it costs + revenues from VOD/BR/DVD + valuable movie in the Disney+ catalog so they can be satisfied, it's not a failure in any way.

Their main preoccupation should be: How do we expand SW as a series beyond the usual, aging fanbase? That's where their focus should be for the next trilogy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1