Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

TLJ had a solid $220M opening, and it didn't have 30+ years of build up of the OG cast coming back. Seeing as this was the finale, this should have stayed flat or even increase a little. I mean, if TLJ were well received, that would have been the case. Look at what the Avengers films were able to pull off. Even AOU dropped $191M from $207M and a major boxing match got in the way. To drop from $220M to $175M and being the finale of a major franchise, all I have to say is holy fuck. Also, anyone saying this number is good is high. Disney spent $4B to buy this franchise. This is a long-term investment, so yah, this number is downright shitty. Sure, it's going to make it's budget back, but that's irrelevant. Number is outright terrible.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

This trilogy is a prime example in not having a plan

Next time, get all your writers, producers, and directors together and map out the whole trilogy arc and smooth out some of the details later in the production process.  There was absolutely no creative direction and consistently across these 3 films, its scatterbrains as fuck.  Its actually quite in impressive in a way... just winging it with a property that you just bought for 4 billion dollars.  The buck stopped with Kathleen Kennedy and she's a hack, there I said it!  Don't hate women, promise.

Yes, the blame lies on her feet. They could have mapped out the entire trilogy. And, yes, things change in production, but you need a road map to give a general sense of what you're doing. Her plan was just to let every Director do their thing. What sort of Producer treats a $4B investment that way. I mean wtf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Yes, the blame lies on her feet. They could have mapped out the entire trilogy. And, yes, things change in production, but you need a road map to give a general sense of what you're doing. Her plan was just to let every Director do their thing. What sort of Producer treats a $4B investment that way. I mean wtf.

I would argue that a lot of the blame also falls on Bob Iger’s feet. He’s the one who wanted a 2015 release date for TFA, while simultaneously throwing out the ideas that George Lucas proposed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I would argue that a lot of the blame also falls on Bob Iger’s feet. He’s the one who wanted a 2015 release date for TFA, while simultaneously throwing out the ideas that George Lucas proposed. 

Sure, but he wasn't President of LFL overseeing the films. She was. She allowed TFA to proceed before having a plan of what the next two films would look like. Also, she is notorious for firing directors and let's face it, the bomb that is Solo is 100% her fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

I love that methode! also don't forget that frozen is heading towards 1.4B + so nr 11 would be 1.4B most likely.

Other methodes I also use to check how well something did it take the average and de median (number 5-6 dvided by 2) and compare the movie number vs those. So you get at rought idea how it stacked against the top of that era. Median I use if there are to many outliers etc.

Example: 1023.9m = mean and 922m median.

Today: 1965m = mean and 1859m as median.

First off interesting to see that we have a lot more varience now in the top 10 then we had 15 years ago. Probably because we have more markets now that can make a difference in the total.

What we see from this is that ROTS was 17.5% lower than  top 10 average and  8% lower than the median.

Now a days you would need 1611m between 1710m to be the same distance away from the top 10 mean/median.

So thing did get a lot top havier than 2 decades ago.

If you take out EG and Avatar you get (and using frozen2's 1.4B):  1681m average and 1588m and for an ROTS preformance you would need 1386 - 1460m today closer to the 11th place today.

I also think that Star Wars needs to be compared with Star Wars, so that's why i wrote this:

"Star Wars trilogies had a consistency, first one being the biggest, the second the lowest and the third one in the middle. Even their percentages are amazingly similar:

A New Hope: 307 (counting first release only, of course)

ESB: 209 (68% of ANH)

RotJ: 254 (82% of ANH)

TPM: 431

AotC: 302 (70% of TPM)

RotS: 380 (85%)

Now, let's see this:

TFA: 936

TLJ: 620 (66% of TFA)

TRoS: to finish at 82% (what made RotJ) would need to make 768m, and to reach RotS would mean 796m, which we know is impossible now. "

For me, to TRoS be at the same page with RotS, would be making 796m (or so). 
Cos you see the pattern, the third movie of the trilogy made 82 or 85% from the first of their trilogy. I don't care comparing it just by inflation, cos a lot has change from 2005 or 1983, not just ticket prices. 

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

Sure, but he wasn't President of LFL overseeing the films. She was. She allowed TFA to proceed before having a plan of what the next two films would look like. Also, she is notorious for firing directors and let's face it, the bomb that is Solo is 100% her fault.

Kathleen Kennedy definitely deserves her part of the blame in all this, but maybe they would’ve been able to map out a plan for the ST if Iger had given them more time for TFA?

• Like 1

Finally saw it. 

My thoughts, if anyone cares... 

Jesus fucking Christ! 

Who approved the adaptation of a 12-year-old's fan-fic?! The writing on this thing... Fuck me. 

I really only liked two scenes. Everything else was groan-inducing. 

Watched it at Vue Stratford in London with a mate (neither my boyfriend nor his friends wanted to watch it) , fairly packed house, literally just finished, typing this from the garage. Sooo many snickers throughout the movie. And loads of wtf comments after. Heard numerous groups say it was bad but TLJ left them no direction to go in. So make of that what you will. 

Also, there was a short video before the movie started, about the series as a whole and it was pushing the nostalgia buttons sooo bad. But again, loads of comments along the lines of "yeah, 40 years, the end, we get it". 

I dunno, maybe the groups I overheard were more vocal opponents, but it didn't seem like a good reaction at all... Let's see the legs on it, maybe after OW it will settle better. 

• Like 2

SW really needs to move on from the 70's aesthetic. No more planets with mono-climates, no more dusty dirty barren towns, no more silly helmets on everyone, no more giant super weapons. Can't just rely on iconography forever. The nostalgia well is running dry. Show us something new. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Second Act opened this same weekend last year to the same $6.5 million as Cats.

Taylor Swift had a massive budget, a very popular source material, innovative technology, acclaimed director, and a supporting cast full of A-lists, and she couldn't even sell as many tickets as JLo.

Well Jlo was an actress before a singer, so she has a fanbase that watches her movies.  Taylor swift is a singer first, that's the main difference.

The problems for Star Wars do go to the top. They were originally going to make a new movie with a new cast and had a script written and ready to go. The decision to bring back the original cast was a good one but the decision to not postpone the movie by a year or so rushed them into making a movie that wasn't all that good frankly. It significantly damaged the brand in the overseas market. They won't postpone Solo even when it became a complete clusterfuck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Second Act opened this same weekend last year to the same $6.5 million as Cats.

Taylor Swift had a massive budget, a very popular source material, innovative technology, acclaimed director, and a supporting cast full of A-lists, and she couldn't even sell as many tickets as JLo.

Oh no, how will Taylor Swift ever recover?

10 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

SW really needs to move on from the 70's aesthetic. No more planets with mono-climates, no more dusty dirty barren towns, no more silly helmets on everyone, no more giant super weapons. Can't just rely on iconography forever. The nostalgia well is running dry. Show us something new. 

I agree with this.

Nothing in the ST really looked that epic or futuristic tbh.

For example, we never really saw a city as grand and as “modern” as Coruscant from the prequels. Unless we count the 10 seconds of that one planet that got destroyed in TFA.

But it seems like hardcore SW fans prefer that old, dirty, western setting, seeing as how much they praise The Mandalorian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Well Jlo was an actress before a singer, so she has a fanbase that watches her movies.  Taylor swift is a singer first, that's the main difference.

Just because you’re a popular singer doesn’t mean people want to go see you on the big screen especially when said movie has shitty reviews and consists of an adaptation of a play that already weirds people out. 

But that specific user has a weird tendency to always try and bring pop stars down in order to elevate Jlo when Jlo is successful on her own. I believe they tried that nonsense with A Star Is Born and Lady Gaga but unfortunately for them ASIB was a smash. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Kathleen Kennedy is going to get the majority of the blame but Bob Iger should be shouldering some of it as well. I don’t know who informed him that folks want a Star Wars film every other year based on the same trilogy but whoever gave him that info was mistaken. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1