Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Another thing: I have a newfound appreciation for what DC fans went through with BvS or JL. Makes me feel bad if I harped on DC throughout that run (it wouldn't have been here because I wasn't at BOT yet, but maybe over at SHH). It's not easy when this happens to a franchise that's close to your heart AND has a sort of built in expectation for elite box office performance, whilst everyone is either concern trolling or legitimately critiquing (it's all the same when you're a fan to be honest).

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

But Bob Iger already said in public that he will add more female executives for Disney before he leave. It means he will try his best to keep her safe at this point.

Plus she has a contract until 2021. Doubt Disney would try to break it and pay a rescission fee.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Another thing: I have a newfound appreciation for what DC fans went through with BvS or JL. Makes me feel bad if I harped on DC throughout that run (it wouldn't have been here because I wasn't at BOT yet, but maybe over at SHH). It's not easy when this happens to a franchise that's close to your heart AND has a sort of built in expectation for elite box office performance, whilst everyone is either concern trolling or legitimately critiquing (it's all the same when you're a fan to be honest).

It was overblown.  No need to go through all the Snyder/Whedon stuff but it was apparent that WB wanted to move on from Justice League before it even came out.  They didn't hype it up at all,  they knew the losses were coming.  

But it was only a one movie stumble.  BvS despite a lot of the hate it received still raked in $875M and Wonder Woman in between raked in over $800M and was a critical and audience success.  

Now you throw in Shazam,  Aquaman,  Joker...   it's a string of hits.    SW could end up doing the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, Djennir said:

Plus she has a contract until 2021. Doubt Disney would try to break it and pay a rescission fee.

She will be allowed to 'retire' gracefully. But there is no defending her record as head of Lucasfilm.  She'll be out soon but it doesn't do anyone any good to make it an ugly split. 

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

Nice increases here for Jumanji and Frozen as well. This weeks numbers will be great across the board.

Yeah it's shaping up to be a pretty big weekend all around. One could say that was expected, but I would have expected the wealth to be less spread around, with the TROS numbers being way bigger and everything else being smaller. If TROS was going to massively underperform I'm thrilled the box office dollars went to the other films, rather than people just not showing up to cinemas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thelasttroll said:

the fact of the matter is no one has been able to explain how we have supposedly gotten too much Star Wars since 2015 when the mcu has put out 3-4x more films and absolutely no one (by which i mean fans not old out of touch directors) is complaining 

Mostly due to the fact that almost all Star Wars movies look and feel the same whereas Marvel as of late switches up the genre and tone

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

But Bob Iger already said in public that he will add more female executives for Disney before he leave.

Just get the best people for the job, male or female. Announcing that more females executives are coming, without knowing their value, is just more pandering for the progressive crowd.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Thelasttroll said:

the fact of the matter is no one has been able to explain how we have supposedly gotten too much Star Wars since 2015 when the mcu has put out 3-4x more films and absolutely no one (by which i mean fans not old out of touch directors) is complaining 

are you serious? lmao. Like marvel movies are all superhero action but they are pretty different. 

Star Wars is focuses on one damn family and their fuckups and has the lightsabers,force,space trio as the components. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

It just dawned on me that TROS OW is not even half of Endgame's OW, and it's highly unlikely that its total WW will not beat Endgame's OW WW.

Well EndGame was the finale of what could be one of the greatest combined storytelling seen in Hollywood, with over 22 movies and 11 years and people being emotionally attached to it. 

TROS is well..... Some movie franchise which USED to be biggest, now it's not, now it's just a popular enough franchise running on the fumes of past glory.