Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

2 Popes was the best movie released this weekend.  See it instead of TROS!

Will the Two Popes forgive those for their wins? Particularly those you saw The Rise of Skywalker?

But eeeeeek can't wait to see that second-weekend drop ~

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

That, and MCU films, like the comics they're based on, are made for more frequent chapters. This is one of the many reasons I consider MCU films almost an entirely different medium at this point. They don't play by the rules that most other film franchises do. When you read comics, you don't just read 1, maybe 2 a year. You buy the latest issue every month or whatever. That's the beauty of MCU films, the audience is consuming them almost exactly like they would the comics themselves. It just works. 

The MCU is also meticulously planned, and parts of the grand plan are sort of shared with audiences ahead of time so there's a built-in investment. People aren't going "Ugh, another Marvel movie?" because they know each and every instalment has value in the form of telling the audience the next chapter, or issue, in the overall huge story.

Star Wars movies, even if they follow a story arc as well are more of a classic movie event in and of themselves. They may be leading to something, but not for long (so far they're either presented in trilogies or individual spin-offs). There has to be a degree of freshness and novelty to them.

There's also something to be said for Marvel movies, for all their faults and occasional saminess, often traveling in entirely different genres and involving entirely different groups of characters from film to film. Star Wars has always been about the same people, the same planets (even when they're different planets they're still some variation on those we've seen before) and the same conflict. If Disney/Lucasfilm want the franchise to have longevity, they have to change it up more. Even Last Jedi to some extent had a "more of the same" to it, with the exception of a few plot points. 

Edited by tonytr87

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Just some Potter ww trivia:

SS was the biggest film behind Titanic

Rank

Title

Studio

Worldwide

Domestic %

Overseas %

Year

Titanic

Fox/P.

$1,835.4

$600.8

32.7%

$1,234.6

67.3%

Harry Potter

WB

$967.2

$317.6

32.8%

$649.6

67.2%

The Phantom Menace

Fox

$925.6

$431.1

46.6%

$494.5

53.4%

When DH2 grossed 1.328b it became #3 all time film behind Avatar and Titanic.
TF3 released the same year and made it to #4, 205m behind DH2.

POTC4 cracked top 10 the same year.

Reveal hidden contents

In 2009 before Avatar started it's run, 3 out of top 8 all-time were Potter films

Hide contents

Rank Title Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year^
1 Titanic Par. $1,842.9 $600.8 32.6% $1,242.1 67.4% 1997
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $1,119.1 $377.0 33.7% $742.1 66.3% 2003
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $1,066.2 $423.3 39.7% $642.9 60.3% 2006
4 The Dark Knight WB $1,001.9 $533.3 53.2% $468.6 46.8% 2008
5 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $974.7 $317.6 32.6% $657.2 67.4% 2001
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $961.0 $309.4 32.2% $651.6 67.8% 2007
7 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $938.2 $292.0 31.1% $646.2 68.9% 2007
8 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $929.3 $301.9 32.5% $627.4 67.5% 2009

Cannot wait for a Potter sequel saga with grown up actors

Box office will be unbelievable

3 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Cannot wait for a Potter sequel saga with grown up actors

Box office will be unbelievable

That's what annoys me about the new Home Alone - obviously they couldn't use Culkin's Kevin but at least make it maybe connect? Especially when you have the likes of Pesci at the moment who may very well claim another Best Supporting Actor award ~ And you know how everyone reacted to those Home Alone Google ads ~ The new Disney+ version should be hmmm 😕

Edited by Bart Allen

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

So Monday PS looks great and if they hold up, we are looking at $29mn Monday which is great. That would be 72.5% of TFA and co-incidentally weekend is also around that ratio.

So, may be lets hold the meltdowns till 1st January or at least 26th December. That said

giphy.gif

575m? Can’t see it. Expect it to fall fast after the holidays. 

2 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Why?

Just didn't enjoy it that much. It was fine, it wasn't a bad movie. But the songs weren't memorable, the story was pretty bland, none of the characters were any more compelling than they already were by the end of the first movie etc.

This felt like one of the 1990s direct to VHS sequels just with a much higher budget and better visuals. Definitely competent, but nothing memorable. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

So Monday PS looks great and if they hold up, we are looking at $29mn Monday which is great. That would be 72.5% of TFA and co-incidentally weekend is also around that ratio.

So, may be lets hold the meltdowns till 1st January or at least 26th December. That said

giphy.gif

Could it be that the main thing Star Wars lost was the "must see on opening weekend" status? I mean, if this does leg it out to 550-575 that is an extremely strong performance. given the opening.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just didn't enjoy it that much. It was fine, it wasn't a bad movie. But the songs weren't memorable, the story was pretty bland, none of the characters were any more compelling than they already were by the end of the first movie etc.

This felt like one of the 1990s direct to VHS sequels just with a much higher budget and better visuals. Definitely competent, but nothing memorable. 

I had the opposite experience, where I enjoyed the sequel more than the first one. I found the worldbuilding in the sequel more interesting than the more restrictive setting of the first, and Olaf was far more bearable in this one. As well, I found Elsa's role in this one very intriguing and worthy of more exploration down the road. (Albeit a bit rushed in its development at the end.)

Also, IMO Show Yourself (in context) is the best song of either film.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
Rephrase last sentence
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Could it be that the main thing Star Wars lost was the "must see on opening weekend" status? I mean, if this does leg it out to 550-575 that is an extremely strong performance. given the opening.

I don’t know if I would call it extremely strong. That’s a 3.23 multiplier from a 178 opening. Rogue One was 3.43 and TFA was 3.78. TLJ set a pretty low bar at 2.82 multi. 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I don’t know if I would call it extremely strong. That’s a 3.23 multiplier from a 178 opening. Rogue One was 3.43 and TFA was 3.78. TLJ set a pretty low bar at 2.82 multi. 

Yeah, I suppose I used the term strong given how low my expectations have sunk.

SW9 D3 MTC Update.

MTC1 D3 END - overall 7895 shows 548972/1398678 7420688.82 (~13.7% drop)
MTC2 D3 END - overall 6313 shows 443825/946757 4421106.00  (~11.8% drop)

Very good day for sure. Jumanji dropped 6.3% and F2 around 8% drop at just MTC1. Overall all the 3 movies would go up from estimates as Charlie has  said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Different release dates. This is very close to christmas with strong PS all the way till christmas. So better multi than SW8 is not shocking despite mixed WOM.

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, I suppose I used the term strong given how low my expectations have sunk.

Haha. Well the holiday boost is a real thing and I don’t think it’s crazy to say every one of these December Star Wars movies has been deflated on opening weekend, which also boosts the legs. Even TFA with enormous hype was probably deflated by about $50M on opening weekend. 

Having said the above, a 3.2ish multi for Skywalker would be a very good result and a pretty clear sign of better WOM than Last Jedi (obviously). 

Edited by redfirebird2008