Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

That, and MCU films, like the comics they're based on, are made for more frequent chapters. This is one of the many reasons I consider MCU films almost an entirely different medium at this point. They don't play by the rules that most other film franchises do. When you read comics, you don't just read 1, maybe 2 a year. You buy the latest issue every month or whatever. That's the beauty of MCU films, the audience is consuming them almost exactly like they would the comics themselves. It just works. 

The MCU is also meticulously planned, and parts of the grand plan are sort of shared with audiences ahead of time so there's a built-in investment. People aren't going "Ugh, another Marvel movie?" because they know each and every instalment has value in the form of telling the audience the next chapter, or issue, in the overall huge story.

Star Wars movies, even if they follow a story arc as well are more of a classic movie event in and of themselves. They may be leading to something, but not for long (so far they're either presented in trilogies or individual spin-offs). There has to be a degree of freshness and novelty to them.

Woah, I never realized Marvel is the Scar of Box Office.

Meticulous planning
Tenacity spanning
Decades of denial
Is simply why I'll
Be king undisputed
Respected, saluted
And seen for the wonder I am
Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared
BE PREPARED!

I wonder which franchise is Simba who can knock it down from the throne.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

That’s because it was never dominant. Would have, should have, could have, even with your baseless assumptions (really doubt China would go crazy over this boring and with minimum action franchise Nevermind that the euro is far weaker compared to the dollar these days making the european grosses suspect) , 1.6 billion wouldn’t exactly make it dominant in today’s box office world.

Harry Potter is biggest there is after MCU. Even today.

Fantastic Beasts which had just a mention of Dumbledore in trailer grossed $815mn ffs. HP8 did $60mn in China, shall be $175mn Approx today with market growth. India did $9.5mn in 2011, which was before Hollywood boom, could be easily $20mn today. 

So you have a franchise which had every part of the world in its pocket, not just Europe and NA or Asia alone.

Edited by Jedi Jat
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Everything has to go through circle of life. MCU will also fail someday. 

Star Wars is one of the strongest brand. The fact that even after so many years it is posting a OW of 175m is remarkable. 

Edited by Madhuvan

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

That’s because it was never dominant. Would have, should have, could have, even with your baseless assumptions (really doubt China would go crazy over this boring and with minimum action franchise Nevermind that the euro is far weaker compared to the dollar these days making the european grosses suspect) , 1.6 billion wouldn’t exactly make it dominant in today’s box office world.

How was Potter not dominant? What a fucking ridiculous and totally wrong statement. Potter was and still remains one of the most popular franchises ever. At the time, it absolutely was the most dominant film series. I live in London and I can tell you Potter is still insanely popular, you can’t get tickets for the Cursed Child in the West End even if you tried, and the WB HP tour is insanely busy all year round. Potter was the most consistent franchise when it comes to box office performance. 8 films, almost $8bn, and it still resonates hugely with kids, it’s not just a one generation wonder. Also, how would $1.6bn not be dominant? That would put it in the top 7 or 8 films ever. DH2 also made $60m in China, and was the 4th highest grosser of the year. It would have been huge today. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

MCU will never fail completely because they have too many different movies and all of them won't collapse. They might have another bomb like Incredible Hulk with some new franchise but that's easy to discard and  would't affect the rest or shared universe. After all, not all MCU movies are equally successful. Something is always going to be the smallest franchise boxoffice-wise (that's currently Ant Man). It's still within the profit margin but it isn't up there with some other solo franchises. 

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

How was Potter not dominant? What a fucking ridiculous and totally wrong statement. Potter was and still remains one of the most popular franchises ever. At the time, it absolutely was the most dominant film series. I live in London and I can tell you Potter is still insanely popular, you can’t get tickets for the Cursed Child in the West End even if you tried, and the WB HP tour is insanely busy all year round. Potter was the most consistent franchise when it comes to box office performance. 8 films, almost $8bn, and it still resonates hugely with kids, it’s not just a one generation wonder. Also, how would $1.6bn not be dominant? That would put it in the top 7 or 8 films ever. DH2 also made $60m in China, and was the 4th highest grosser of the year. It would have been huge today. 

The most popular rides of Universal Orlando are of Harry Potter world. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Harry Potter is biggest there is after MCU. Even today.

Fantastic Beasts which had just a mention of Dumbledore in trailer grossed $815mn ffs. HP8 did $60mn in China, shall be $175mn Approx today with market growth. India did $9.5mn in 2011, which was before Hollywood boom, could be easily $20mn today. 

So you have a franchise which had every part of the world in its pocket, not just Europe and NA or Asia alone.

True, but we'll see what the damage is after the terrible Crimes of Grindelwald film ~

To say that HP was not dominant is absurd. The 7 first films did sistematically $800-$900 million WW and 600m OS along a decade, until the final chapter exploded. The only franchise comparable during the 00s decade was LOTR, but it only lasted 2 years. And HP did those amounts without 3D and the explosion of expanding markets.

And maybe DH2 seems to be the biggest entry, but HP1 was the real monster of the franchise. To do $660m OS in 2001 with worse ER than today was shocking. It did $100m more OS than its main competitor, my adored FOTR. Until that moment, only Titanic had had a bigger OS run. And just maybe Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Star Wars IV or E.T. could be comparable.

And finally, to mention that DH2 ranked #12 all time in China by the time it was released. Today, to make #12 a film needs $365m...

Edited by peludo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I tried to find an image of Colin Trevorrow laughing to post here, but it appears he has never laughed in public.

I know right?

Add Josh Trank, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, David Benioff, D. B. Weiss, James Mangold, and Gareth Edwards to that list too ~

Edited by Bart Allen

@MCKillswitch123 Christmas is here

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_19_a_22_dezembro_2019_135085e0097161abd4.pdf

TROS opened with pretty much the same as TLJ. Jumanji with a mad hold. Frozen and Shaun the Sheep increasing from last weekend. And on the next 2 weeks of vacations the only competition of any form is Spies in Disguise. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1

I thought, by this point, people here would know that its not worth at all to respond to a Thrylos post? Guys, do you remember his rants when Infinity War came out? How every number was "disappointing?" I remember :lol:

Also, Harry Potter, the MCU, Jurassic Park/World and to a lesser extent also the DC Films are the only live-action franchises which are huge all around the globe which makes them so powerfull and lucrative. Star Wars (kinda like Star Trek as well, albeit much smaller in scale of course) is the perfect example of a franchise which is gigantic in few and small in many markets.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

Now that $575mn is a possibility, do you think it's a really good number? I will consider it a win. Yeah, yeah I am not usually so easily impressed with high numbers, but considering the hate TLJ received from fanbase, $575mn is really great number. It's only $100mn less than a very well accepted Infinity War which broke opening weekend record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Will the Two Popes forgive those for their wins? Particularly those you saw The Rise of Skywalker?

But eeeeeek can't wait to see that second-weekend drop ~

I mean, it should be really impressive given how this movies positioned. Just about everyone's off this coming Friday and next Monday. It'll inflate the hell out of this coming weekend for all releases, especially RoS.

Expecting it to drop mightily the weekend after the holidays though. Just like everything else...

13 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Now that $575mn is a possibility, do you think it's a really good number? I will consider it a win. Yeah, yeah I am not usually so easily impressed with high numbers, but considering the hate TLJ received from fanbase, $575mn is really great number. It's only $100mn less than a very well accepted Infinity War which broke opening weekend record.

Even with the possibility of a huge second-weekend drop?

5 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I don't get how Harry Potter was so popular. Why didn't they just shoot Voldemort?

Because of his Horcrux.

18 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Sure. But, I always thought it never left the table even with the OW number. A true, unquestioned win is if it goes over TLJ's 620.

But, with the holiday placement being just perfect with Christmas and New  Year's Day on Wednesdays, I was feeling something like 575 to 600 for RoS. RO did just under 535 off a 155 OW.

How are the other releases looking Monday? Jumanji, Frozen and Knives Out still holding strong?