Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The franchise still has the biggest domestic hit of all time, even if it’s ending on a whimper, they still have that.  

It makes things even worse, IMO. Coming from a movie that made almost $1b Adjusted DOM only to a finale that may miss that same $1b but on a GLOBAL scale is a type of implosion that I've never witnessed before. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Rogue One opened at 12th on OW charts. Modern equivalent is to beat BATB at 174.75. That will be my bar for utter disaster, and it looks like it could be a close call.

Mostly unrelated but I find it funny how SW gave up 2 opening weekend records with weekday openings. Both TPM and ROTS would have nabbed it if not for that. If TLJ had kept the May release date it would have had a shot as well. And here we are with TROS opening...sigh.

Edited by Menor

9 minutes ago, bleachella said:

It's funny that it's performing weaker than TLJ in the most markets but randomly set opening day record in my country. I guess it's up to us to save the international box office, who needs China when you have Finland!

If every man, woman, child and squirrel in Finland goes four times it should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It makes things even worse, IMO. Coming from a movie that made almost $1b Adjusted DOM only to a finale that may miss that same $1b but on a GLOBAL scale is a type of implosion that I've never witnessed before. 

Maybe they should have never said screw you to the fans?

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Oh yeh, not saying it’s good to end this way,

Just saying Force Awakens is still the biggest domestic hit ever. 

22 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Alice In Wonderland 2 made $299M worldwide after the first one made $334M domestic and over $1 billion worldwide. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

We've seen this implosion many times before. Look at the first three Jurassic Park movies, they went ~$1B, ~$660m and ~$360m, that's technically even worse. Besides, we have to compare TROS to TLJ, not TFA. Even this year we had SLOP2 make half of SLOP1, and there are plenty of franchises with even steeper declines. This is alarming for Star Wars, but a ~20%-30% decline from a predecessor film and 50% down from the first in the series is nothing new or even that alarming, just by Star Wars standards it is

• Like 1