Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

50 minutes ago, baumer said:

It I was to guess opening weekend box office it's just based off My theaters here in Northern Toronto, I'd say we are looking at a colossal under performance. There are two IMAX showings that are sold out right now. All the rest of the showings are either less than half full for 11 p.m. showings, or in other words the last show of the night, or about three-quarters full for the earlier shows. The force awakens and The Last Jedi were pretty much sold out a week in advance for the Thursday night shows. It wouldn't surprise me if this opened up to around a hundred and fifty million. Again I'm only going by the theatres closest to me but it definitely doesn't look good.

Interesting stuff Baumer. I'm curious to see if this movie has a really boring run or if it ends up with surprising numbers (good or bad). Boring would be 180/500. Interesting would be 170/400 or 160/600.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Woulda been smart with the oversaturation tbh. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and Star Wars could have used Mando and Fallen Order to build up in the meantime.

yeah and maybe if they had an extra year they could've written a real movie.

51 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I have to wonder if Kevin Fiege could work his magic for Star Wars or is he only cut out for Marvel Comics.

Cause if he succeeds with SW he would clearly be a top 3 producer of all time.

I have a bit of a young perspective, and I am open to learning more on this topic, but is he not already top 3? At least, if producers are being evaluated relative to the amount of power the role has in their respective eras? It seems like Feige is squarely behind THE biggest phenomenon shaping 21st century Hollywood. What are the other top 3 contenders?

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Interesting stuff Baumer. I'm curious to see if this movie has a really boring run or if it ends up with surprising numbers (good or bad). Boring would be 180/500. Interesting would be 170/400 or 160/600.

... or 200/700?

58 minutes ago, baumer said:

It I was to guess opening weekend box office it's just based off My theaters here in Northern Toronto, I'd say we are looking at a colossal under performance. There are two IMAX showings that are sold out right now. All the rest of the showings are either less than half full for 11 p.m. showings, or in other words the last show of the night, or about three-quarters full for the earlier shows. The force awakens and The Last Jedi were pretty much sold out a week in advance for the Thursday night shows. It wouldn't surprise me if this opened up to around a hundred and fifty million. Again I'm only going by the theatres closest to me but it definitely doesn't look good.

My theatre in Milton looks like it's struggling. The 7pm prrmium theatre showing just sold out a few minutes before showing time. 

There's no assigned seatings for the other screens, so I can't see tickets sold, but shows are not selling out. I'm going to a showing later thus evening (non premium screen), and I'm thinking I may not have to worry about getting there too early to grab a seat. 

This theatre does great business for family friendly programming, and the idea that you can walk up and buy a ticket to a core star wars film on opening day kind of blows my mind. 

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I have a bit of a young perspective, and I am open to learning more on this topic, but is he not already top 3? At least, if producers are being evaluated relative to the amount of power the role has in their respective eras? It seems like Feige is squarely behind THE biggest phenomenon shaping 21st century Hollywood. What are the other top 3 contenders?

I think Feige's definitely a decent contender, if only by box office results alone. Then you have many famous directors who were also active producers: Spielberg, Hitchcock, Eastwood, Kubrick, Cameron, etc.

In terms of non-directing producers, I'd name as possible contenders Sam Spiegel, Scott Rurdin, Samuel Goldwyn, Brian Grazer, Disney, Frank Marshall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

I'm really curious how things unfold this weekend and for the run in general. For all the anxiety of the Disneyfication of the box office, the fact that <$1B is on the table demonstrates how quickly things can change. If Disney's mega franchises just kept on rolling along, box office would get pretty boring after a while. Whatever dominance they have is only sustainable if they can meet the very high expectations of fan bases, which were seeing is no easy feat. 

I'm hoping the live action remakes fall off a cliff next....    Not because I don't want them to succeed,  I want them to be good...  and they mostly suck. 

• Like 1

ROS makes me sad, nobody in their sane mind wants Star Wars to end on such a weird note.

But my gut feeling was right, JJ performed one miracle 4 years ago.

But he cannot be the miracle himself.

He s not a Sith.

Notre Dame de Paris burned down 8 months ago.

The Cathedral is in shambles and can still collapse as I speak.

Ring a bell ?

We will need 5 to 10 years to save the Cathedral and restore her to her lost beauty and glory.

JJ had 20 months to rebuild something almost just as sacred.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

ROS makes me sad, nobody in their sane mind wants Star Wars ending on such a weird note.

But my gut feeling was right, JJ performed one miracle 4 years ago.

But you cannot be the miracle itself.

Notre Dame de Paris burned down 8 months ago.

The Cathedral is in shambles and can still collapse as I speak.

Ring a bell ?

We will need 5 to 10 years to save the Cathedral.

JJ had 20 months to rebuild something almost just as sacred.

Get the feeling this is not really JJ’s vision. This was a film

made by committee 

54 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will legit fly to America and go into LucasFilm and LAUGH at their door if this shit opens under Rogue One. Talk about killing your golden goose holy shit lmao.

the fallout would be one for the ages

I for one may not even see this in the theaters, it really depends on if enough people I know want to see it and so far we haven't talked about it at all.

TLJ killed Star Wars, the movie wasn't that bad, but turned the fandom so toxic, I think people just need a break.

If the TLJ was a stand alone movie, not part of any franchise, you could say that it wasn't that bad. 

However, one of Star Wars main selling point is its in dept world building and its lore.  All six of the first movies (regardless of the quality of some) fit together and told a cohesive story.  This cohesive storytelling across multiple movies is the MCU's selling point too.

Imagine if the next Avengers, directed by Ryan johnson, Captain marvel is unceremoniously killed off and Black panther becomes a loner that drinks green milk.  That would definitively "subvert" everyone's expectations.  Even if it was a good movie, it would tear the MCU fan base apart just like what happened in Star Wars.

In multi-billion dollar franchises, movies need to be more than simply good.

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1