Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Rank!

Rank!

Rank!

*bangs on table*

I don't do rankings. :)  Comparison is the thief of joy and all that.  I do do tiers though. I think I put it in the same tier as RotS, TFA, and ESB.

Mind, I don't love ESB all that much compared to many, so don't consider that a compliment. ;)

My "A tier" would be something like SW, RotJ, R1, TLJ.  My "C tier" would be something like TPM, AotC.  Still not sure where to put Solo, really.  Don't want to invent a tier so I'll stuff it at the bottom of the B one.

So, currently:

A-tier (release order so don't read anything into it)

SW

RotJ

R1

TLJ

B-tier (again, release order)

ESB

RotS

TFA

Solo

TRoS (provisional)

C-Tier (release order)

TPM

AotC

===

Now, I do agree that from a craftsmanship standpoint ESB is pretty great.  If I'm being completely honest with myself it's at the very very top of my personal B-Tier.  But I just can't put it in the A-tier.  Those are reserved for the near-perfect SW films for me.

Likewise, TLJ really is at the bottom of my A-tier.  I might one day knock it down to the top of the B-tier, but damn was there some great stuff there.

So, those are my tiers.  Best you'll get out of me, I'm afraid. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

This would be rather surprising, but tracking isn’t an exact science. I hope this won’t make people disappointed with 41 or something in the morning.

• Like 3

Its possible as I have said smaller chains are really strong and so MTC1 could under index. But it would be a pleasant surprise. I would take any number above 40m. Sunday drop would be better than TLJ and OD PS is rock solid. I am sure it will hit 50m or even 55m OD(minus previews of course). 10% saturday increase and 15% drop would be enough for 200m OW 🙂

I will refresh OD PS tomorrow morning to see how things are going. We should have @Jedi Jat providing updates and hope even @RthRise checking in sometime tomorrow. I will update OD 3-4 times for sure.

• Like 3

Definately need to see it again (which I will today). So far iI think t is good, it has some great banter, the fights are good (but I don't have them particularly close to the top for Star Wars fights), but I think the movie left quite a bit of potential behind. Ideas that could have been great but only ended up being decent to good due to how they were used. Some characters were somehow well done but at the same time could have done much better, it's hard to describe.

I'm not the biggest fan of JJ Abrams' take on going over the top with things though. There is a point were that kind of stuff can work, but I think he uses it too often and in many ways does it too over the top.

It's funny when you compare it to The Mandalorian. They pace couldn't be more different, completely different style as well. And I feel at this point I'm leaning more towards the slower approach and more grounded stuff.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its possible as I have said smaller chains are really strong and so MTC1 could under index. But it would be a pleasant surprise. I would take any number above 40m. Sunday drop would be better than TLJ and OD PS is rock solid. I am sure it will hit 50m or even 55m OD(minus previews of course). 10% saturday increase and 15% drop would be enough for 200m OW 🙂

I will refresh OD PS tomorrow morning to see how things are going. We should have @Jedi Jat providing updates and hope even @RthRise checking in sometime tomorrow. I will update OD 3-4 times for sure.

Do you have update on F2 and J3 number? 

17 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

LOLLLLLL

LLLLLOOOOLLLLLL

@Eric loves Rey should have more conviction of his numbers. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

This would be rather surprising, but tracking isn’t an exact science. I hope this won’t make people disappointed with 41 or something in the morning.

Surprising? It's fucking shocking.  WAY WAY WAY  too good to be true, IMO.  I am fully ready to post THAT Deadline gif in the morning when I wake up.

Still, given how tracking was going if, IF IF IF, it does "41 or something" you better fucking believe I am celebrating, given what I was expecting to happen.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

even if deadline Over-indexed that much it's not gonna drop below 195Mish. 

which is way better than what the reactions on reddit and the tracking thread had me adjust my expectations to. (Rogue One levels).

Now, mind, Sacto was showing that sort of number until yesterday when the showtime count fucked the comp over. If, and I do mean if, Deadline is remotely right (and I don't think they are, for the record) then it's probably down to Sacto not having enough showtimes.  Not sure why we didn't sellout theaters here, but whatever.

So, for now, I'm filing that under Way Way WAAAAAAAY too good to be true.

But if it is, I know why Sacto nosedived at the end. :) 

• Like 2

Now wouldn't it be hilarious if Deadline happened to get wind of actual final overall pre-sale numbers that said "more or less the same total pre-sales as TLJ" and DIDN'T account for all of the sales post-OW and into Xmas???

No. For the record, no it would not. j1aUlyv.gif  But @Arendelle Legion, that might be an explanation if you're looking for one.

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

even if deadline Over-indexed that much it's not gonna drop below 195Mish. 

which is way better than what the reactions on reddit and the tracking thread had me adjust my expectations to. (Rogue One levels).

There were silly posts comparing this to the trainwreck(Justice League) !!!! Even with obvious mixed reception they are not in the same ballpark. I am talking about domestic. OS Its not looking good.