Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If the finale to all of the Skywalker saga makes less than The Last Jedi I consider that disappointing.

if previews end up 38-39 then RO would be the benchmark imo.

edit: TLJ did 2.82x. Giving TROS 2.9x (even though for a finale it won't be easy to beat the predecessor legs wise unless wom is great - like with AIW 2.63x vs AOU 2.39x), it will need 183.5 ow to match RO's dom. And using 4.6-4.7x preview to ow multi (this Sun will hold better than TLJ's Sun a week prior while Fri/Sat will be front-loaded imo) it needs 39-40 previews for 183.5 ow.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

I was also quite let down by the film, not necessarily by creative story choices but just as film, far too rushed and an emphasis on plot over character. No build up for action set pieces and no breathing room for character moments. I loved both TFA and TLJ (Only Empire is higher for me), as well as the characters in them but it felt like this film didn't care about them. Also big fan of JJ Abrams as a director, he usually hits emotional and character beats really well but here they just get lost in the plot.

Don't know how to feel about it overall. 

Think it might do fairly well with audiences, big action, humour throughout, plot never stops, reveals etc. but I'm not sure if it can leg out past Last Jedi right now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

any number under TLJ would be considered as a "flop" by Disney itself. 

Maybe but Disney will be happy with $1B+. It is the end of the "Skywalker Saga" anyway and they already have their next SW project ready to announce in a few weeks regardless of what happens with TROS.

Funny enough, I really enjoyed TROS.

Maybe because I heard so many negative things but going in I expected something much worse but i really enjoyed this.

I don't know, I think reaction to this movie is going to be all over the place.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Rian Johnson is legit as The Joker :

He just wanted to watch the world burns.

There was a way to fuse TFA and TLJ... Would've taken some ingenuity. Kind of smarts a decent storyteller/screenwriter could pull off... Welp. They opted to just avoid that wholesale and chose the Terrio option.

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe but Disney will be happy with $1B+. It is the end of the "Skywalker Saga" anyway and they already have their next SW project ready to announce in a few weeks regardless of what happens with TROS.

They considered TLJ as a "failure" because it didn't hit their expectation. I don't think $1,000M can feed them so well.

Age of Ultron grossed $1.4B and Disney was disappointed.

You all must be joking if you think they're happy with the final SW movie grossing $1.1B (and it isn't even locked) which would not only be closer to a small spin-off like RO than to the previous movie, but would also represent an almost 50% drop in profits compared to TFA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Given that TROS seems to be aimed at some kind of perceived need for "course-correction," especially with the way you've heard some of the pre-release interviews about being "for the fans" or whatever...yes it would seem like the movie having a drop-off to $1.1B and being not received so warmly by the fans it was apparently made for would be a disappointment for Disney.

As far as other openers that are previewing tonight, I heard that both Universal/Working Title/Amblin’s Cats and Lionsgate/Bron’s Bombshell are both around $1M give or take.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/

That would actually be huge for Bombshell. But well, probably the truth is not even half of that. 

• Like 1