Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Seems you do not understand how this film was marketed and the history of the franchise at the box office. Anything below a 2 is not good at all. Disney will likely be massively disappointed. There's no reason this film should open below the first two films unless the "minority fandom menace" actually do have a pull and say in what they're saying.

there's every reason why this film should open below the last two. And that's because the Last Jedi killed a lot of fan interest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can't have a true Friday number yet. It's 10:30 a.m. on the east coast and 7:30 a.m. on the West coast. Sorry buddy we all love you here but that's a hell of a lot of extrapolating and filling in a lot of missing blanks.

they aren't actuals. just what PS suggests.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It will? Not guaranteed and not likely 

Imo it will. Its legs are going to be better than TLJ imo, so it may open slightly lower, but its legs will make up for it.

Like i said earlier, my only worry is how many people were turned off seeing it after the reviews.

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sounds like it's a lost cause in China. Might even be better off not releasing it there. $20M total when other films are racking up well over $100M totals. Kinda embarrassing. 

Might as well give up, go R-rated and have Jedi fight an army of ghosts in the next one then.

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

If it opens below The Last Jedi, it's not grossing more then it.

then it's you that doesn't understand the box office. The Last Jedi is legs are horrible because it really divided a lot of fans. The legs on this one could easily be better which would allow it to gross more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Should be getting the official Thursday number soon. Pretty big gap between what Deadline reported last night and what our Asgardian friend reported today. 

But nobody has access to Thursday numbers right now. Nobody can actually see anything.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

which would be excellent. 
Considering the carnage of Wednesday when the mixed reviews came out - this kind of number is real good. Then we’ll see how WOM goes. 

I'm skeptical of all the numbers, we're dealing with projections still.  Of course I shouldn't be surprised if it does have a successful OW, but conversely I don't think anyone pulling for this movie to succeed should be surprised if it collapses bizarrely.  I'm dying to know how this sorts out.

Also there's already conspiracies forming among the detractors of this movie that the RT audience score is being flooded with bots and fake accounts to boost it up.  There's no way I know to prove or disprove thinking like this, but if it holds higher than the critic score I think that will be a suspicion going forward in that community.

All this crap with RT critic and audience scores seems to cut both ways... if it doesn't fit your particular belief then it must be fake somehow.  I bristle every time someone claims a negative audience score must be getting review bombed somehow, these accusations are out of control.  It's really too bad this is as good as our critiquing system gets, that we can't even get a consensus around the consensus.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, I wonder what Deadline meant about "sources" feeding them the 44-48 number. 

Its the same as our sources telling us based on data that unless its skewed that number isnt possible. Sources may not be able to give a clear xx.xx type number but they do give a range. 

That being said, there are times I think deadline makes it up in order to hit submit by a time deadline. 

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

then it's you that doesn't understand the box office. The Last Jedi is legs are horrible because it really divided a lot of fans. The legs on this one could easily be better which would allow it to gross more.

I expect finale factor to add some frontloadedness. Usually a finale is the most frontloaded no matter how well recieved 

• Like 2