Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

40 million previews is solid and allows for a decent 180-200 million opening...

However let us ask...how did we get there? 

For years people have said TLJ divided the fanbase and depressed interest in the next chapter. This was dismissed as just the viewpoint of whiny fanboys or neck beards online.

All I can say for those who continuously said TLJ was divisive and really did not set up anything of great interest  Episode 9have been completely and utterly vindicated ...

cbe012650851cab598a6c0cd78ee65bb.gif

My God, how many thousands similar posts have you written about The Last Jedi in the last two years? 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Shorts said:

Pretty much what happened at my Fan Event.  These were mostly hard core fans who dressed up for the movie. 

I'll always remember my viewing of TLJ. The O2 Cineworld, Superscreen. Pretty much packed. Soon as it ended, silence throughout. And coming down the stairs and escalators very little chatter, sometimes some "Huh...that light speed thing, that was...cool" followed by a grunt or "So...Luke just...died?", answered with a shrug. This was definitely not a hardcore audience, just general fans excited about a big SW movie. But you could tell there was general bafflement. Not necessarily outright dislike, just confusion as to what they'd just watched for the most part.

I would argue some of those people went on to embrace what TLJ did, but just as many didn't. The division really was apparent from the get-go.

• Like 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

1. The film is the finale of the entire saga and has been marketed as such.

2. This is the finale of the trilogy. In the history of the Star Wars franchise never has the finale grossed less then the second film.

How could people even say that 40 million is solid? Haven't many people on here been repeating that this film will increase from it's predecessors and how the vocal minority won't effect box office? How about now?

do you recall the film the second prequel had to contend with? Because I do! 
the third prequel had no such concerns. 

its all different circumstances. 

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

2. This is the finale of the trilogy. In the history of the Star Wars franchise never has the finale grossed less then the second film.

3. This is the first film in the entire saga that grosses less in it's opening then BOTH of the previous films.

How could people even say that 40 million is solid? Haven't many people on here been repeating that this film will increase from it's predecessors and how the vocal minority won't effect box office? How about now?

Well people also said TLJ will destroy SW, which clearly doesn’t happened.

Can we all agreed nobody is right and just move on? This discussion is annoying as fuck

• Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, Cappoedameron said:

1) Until the next movie. Also audiences have started to be skeptical of "final" movie marketing. (And the GA won't differentiate between Rian's trilogy (if it happens), the spin-off movies, and any new movies from "the main saga")

2) TLJ has proven to be way too divisive I think in a way ESB and AOTC wasn't.

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

3. This is the first film in the entire saga that grosses less in it's opening then BOTH of the previous films.

It’s solid I’d say but yeah I was told this would have a clear increases like ROTs did 

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

People expected those to be the last Star Wars film ever. Disney already dated 3 new Star Wars films.

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Are we about to witness some super sexy legs for Black Christmas this weekend? I think people just forgot to see it last weekend and plan on rectifying that mistake.

Sure

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

$40M is still a pretty rare preview gross. I'm not sure why we should pretend it's a lousy result. It's very solid, even by the high standards of Star Wars at the domestic box office. 

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

People expected those to be the last Star Wars film ever. Disney already dated 3 new Star Wars films.

Disney should reconvene and realize Star Wars isn't Marvel. Give audiences a bit of a break then come back. I don't mind Rian doing his trilogy, even though I'm not a fan of TLJ, because at least then it'll be one unified vision. 

• Like 4

Ugh, there’s not going to be an actual argument that TLJ didn’t hurt the interest in TROS is there? TROS is the big finale with that finale factor and it will still have a notable admission drop on OW. Of course that proves TLJ hurt it. Its legs could be due to its own merits, but demand not being higher than the middle child of the trilogy on OW has nothing to do with WOM yet. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Wow, Cats is a bomb for the ages.

I suspect it'll make up for a low-ish start a little once Christmas passes (FWIW it's selling better for Wednesday than for any day this weekend at the various theaters around here) but not enough to get it far past a $50-60M-ish total given that it's likely gonna die fast once the holidays are over.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Disney should reconvene and realize Star Wars isn't Marvel. Give audiences a bit of a break then come back. I don't mind Rian doing his trilogy, even though I'm not a fan of TLJ, because at least then it'll be one unified vision. 

I personally think SW could be Marvel, but Skywalker saga couldn't. A single story thread shouldn't work like that.

• Like 7