Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Solo proved SW can't really be Marvel. Despite what fanboys on the internet says, the GA isn't really interested in seeing spin-off movies about characters: and most of Marvel is movies about a specific character. Rogue One maybe showed spin-off movies could work when exploring a different part of the world with new characters.

Did Solo prove that though?

They made a nostalgia-bait movie, centered on a beloved character heavily associated with a particular actor, all tied up in an origin story no one cared about.

If you took "Solo" out of "Solo" and made just a Star Wars Space Western around a new character, it could have been a fine movie. The only thing that this current spat of Disney-era SW content really seems to "prove" is that you can't keep going to the same 40-year well over and over again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Actually Star Wars is the franchise with the most potential. Just think about all the wierd you can do with it. The problem with this Disney Trilogy is that it's not weird enough in a good way. 

The first 40 minutes of ROTS are exciting and weird but TLJ gave us Luke drinking blue milk. 

Green milk.

And it was DELICIOUS.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Those OS numbers are being inflated, Germany (a big market for this franchise) is counting two days instead of one like for TLJ, there's also CHINA on the OW, unlike for TLJ.

At the end of day, drop would be closer to 20% than 10%, and this isn't good when we consider the finale effect (and make no doubts, it is being extremely front-loaded in the countries where it was released so far).

Not even $600m is locked OS. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

of course Star Wars isn't dead, but it needs course correction. This should likely (and will likely be done)

-limit Kathleen Kennedy's power. Keep her away from the creative side of things

-make sure Rian's trilogy is officially axed and he will never be involved with SW again

-get rid of and replace the story group. Show Pablo Hidalgo and the others out the door like they did with Kiri Hart earlier this year

-put Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni in charge. With Kevin Feige as a consultant

-

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm no Fandom Menace. I wanted this to be good. But once the synopsis leaked, it was over. I knew it was going to be trash. people said, wait to see it in execution. But execution made those horrid leaks look like Citizen Kane. this is a terrible movie. I'm glad that me and my family didn't see it in cinemas.

Opinions on  the quality on the movie based on the leaked spoiler text (many that were wrong or taken out of context) and pirated clips is worthless.

That that stuff back to the spoiler thread and let people that actually saw the movie talk about the execution/quality of it.

This current culture of people reading leaks, forming an opinion of the quality of the movie based off those leaks, and then passing judgement on the movie as if they've seen the movie is ruining online discussion of movies.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unpopular opinion but out of all the new Star Wars films, Rogue One was the best. 

And I also want to add that Rogue One was the best and it was the film least tied to the original trilogy. So for me as a non Star Wars fan, I think there is potential for the franchise as long as they branch out, give different stories with different characters. 

• Like 2

A little reminder:

The Last Jedi:

Last Jedi earned an 89% overall positive score and a five-star rating from moviegoers. That’s in the wheelhouse of what Force Awakens earned (90% overall positive/ 4 1/2 stars) and Rogue One (91% positive, 4 1/2 stars). These are scientific, statistically accumulated audience exit polls that studios can take to the bank, and which they rely upon to deconstruct various elements of a film’s opening.

TROS:

Out of the gate, Skywalker is a win for audiences with Thursday night Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak polls showing 4 1/2 stars and a 76% definite recommend with parents and kids under 12, who showed up at 16% combined, giving the J.J. Abrams-directed finale five stars. General audiences repped 89% of the crowd.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

This current culture of people reading leaks, forming an opinion of the quality of the movie based off those leaks, and then passing judgement on the movie as if they've seen the movie is ruining online discussion of movies.

Online discussion of movies has never been good, Andy.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Solo proved SW can't really be Marvel. Despite what fanboys on the internet says, the GA isn't really interested in seeing spin-off movies about characters: and most of Marvel is movies about a specific character. Rogue One maybe showed spin-off movies could work when exploring a different part of the world with new characters.

I think this is exactly right and just prove SW can be Marvel. Marvel would never give Happy Hogan a standalone movie, but people from Lucasfilm and Disney thought wrongly they can do these things by SW

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

And I also want to add that Rogue One was the best and it was the film least tied to the original trilogy. So for me as a non Star Wars fan, I think there is potential for the franchise as long as they branch out, give different stories with different characters. 

What do you mean least tied to the original trilogy? Rogue One might as well be Episode 3.9 as it leads directly into Episode 4. Love that movie and love how it ties into the OT

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Those OS numbers are being inflated, Germany (a big market for this franchise) is counting two days instead of one like for TLJ, there's also CHINA on the OW, unlike for TLJ.

At the end of day, drop would be closer to 20% than 10%, and this isn't good when we consider the finale effect (and make no doubts, it is being extremely front-loaded in the countries where it was released so far).

Not even $600m is locked OS. 

You're right that $600m may be hard to achieve, primarily with the guaranteed ~20m+ drop off in China and another ~40M or so in ER weakening, but thats not new for this domestically focused franchise. ~600M dom and ~600M OS is just fine, I think between the off-putting reviews, the very weak performance of Solo and the divisiveness over TLJ, this film had to overcome a lot. Just a slight drop from TLJ will at least shut up the doom and gloomers

Also for all of you to keep in mind, TLJ opened a week earlier in many markets. The run up to Xmas tends to see slightly depressed BO before the Xmas-New Years box office tear (as movies like Jumanji and Force Awakens showed). This film has a release date advantage over TLJ, don't read too much into the international numbers. TLJ had 60-70% second weekend drops in most majors included UK, Australia and Germany. TROS will likely hold better over the holiday, and its OW numbers are slightly deflated given its proximity to the holiday