Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, ZackM said:

The Tomato/Splat binary is so terrible.  Would it be so hard to be a little creative with how different percentages are presented?

imo there should be a "stale" rating for 40-59%. Fresh is 60-79%, Certified Fresh is 80-100%.

But I guess they want it to reflect the reviewers themselves, who mark it Fresh Or Rotten.

Harry Potter 9 definitely has potentially to pull in a ridiculous OW. 

Only a matter of time before they turn Cursed Child into a movie, and no doubt they’ll then continue on from there. 

How many more FB films are left before they could crack on with that? 2?

• Like 1

Nothing is coming close to Endgame for a long time. I would guess at least a decade.  The next film behind Endgame right now  is 100 million lower (IW). I hate to break it to James Cameron, but Avatar 2 isn’t going to do it nor will it gross more than Endgame WW. Perhaps the re-release is Avatar will reclaim top spot WW. I do think it will be a while before anyone tops The Force Awaken domestic total as well. Maybe the same movie that tops Endgame’s OW will also top Force Awakens domestic and Endgame WW! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ZackM said:

The Tomato/Splat binary is so terrible.  Would it be so hard to be a little creative with how different percentages are presented?

Agreed. I've always thought an easy fix, that still maintains the classic RT % format, would be to make between 50-59% a yellow tomato, so that visually films that are on that cusp are identified as mixed, as opposed to rotten.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Or an unknown property or film series that explodes and it's sequels just keep getting bigger.  Studios are staking out dates so far in advance though it's hard to have a surprise and I don't see a potential new mega franchise in the near future..

This seems the most viable way it falls. This decade the focus has been on nostalgia, but something new will comes along that captures people's attention. 

Two of the films that broke the opening record came from books that were only published a few years prior (Jurassic Park and Harry Potter). 

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Only a matter of time before they turn Cursed Child into a movie, and no doubt they’ll then continue on from there. 

I agree but the timing has to be right and even then I am not sure if it will get anywhere close to $300 million.

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

That monstrosity should never be made into a movie. What a terrible, terrible story. Shit's on a perfect ending in DH2

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Curse of child??? No no no 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's not HATED by critics. Those are called mixed reviews. MIXED. Why do people act like there is no difference between CATS reviews and TROS when there clearly is. Why do people act like a mixed critical reception doesn't exist? It does exist, it happens all the time. The internet's black and white views on critical reception is bizarre.

It's all about being proportional...yes, it is technically "mixed" but if you compare to previous SW movies it's clearly low, so you can say they "hate" it as its score is far lower.

Not saying I'm right and that you're wrong but things can be more complicated than that.

41 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I think MetaCritic does a nice job of this. Red is for a movie that gets shredded, yellow is for a movie with mixed reception, and green is for a movie with good reception. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1