Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So do we all agree that a B+ score for adult dramas is a good score?

Yeah, given they usually aren't franchise movies.

It's different when we're dealing with huge franchises like MCU, Star Wars, DCEU... Fanboys ( the ones who rushed to watch this movie during its opening day ) clearly had their issues with TROS. 

Casuals aren't watching a movie day one. That's very hard to imagine.

• Like 1

Inception got B. Cinemascore is irrelevant unless its something like F or A+. Inception got B i think. D from older audience and A- from young audience. its across 5 fricking theaters for chriss sake.

Anyway this forum needs something to make it end of the world and so use cinema score for score as domestic BO is not worth the drama neither positive or negative.

• Like 4

Just now, elcaballero said:

Venom's run will always confuse me. What audiences saw in that movie, I'll never know.

Its marketing was pretty much honest and the movie was campy / cheesy / dumb fun. It was bad in a good way. Besides, Tom Hardy enjoyed whatever he was doing in the movie. 

It didn't have fantastic domestic legs. It overperformed in China, which ended up boosting the worldwide numbers. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Inception got B. Cinemascore is irrelevant unless its something like F or A+. Inception got B i think. D from older audience and A- from young audience. its across 5 fricking theaters for chriss sake.

Anyway this forum needs something to make it end of the world and so use cinema score for score as domestic BO is not worth the drama neither positive or negative.

Wow the older audience got it right. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, CinemaScores don't literally mean the multipliers will be bad.

I mean, isn't there a Tom Cruise movie that got a D- CinemaScore? Vanilla Sky got a 4x multiplier from a 25 million opening.

Besides, Joker got a B+ CinemaScore and went on to get a 3x multiplier. 

I wouldn't be afraid, but this is a low for a Star Wars movie. Fanboys are the ones getting pooled, so it's up to general audiences now.

I think the cinemascore was miss reported for Vanilla Sky. Best film ever, not sure how it got below a A. Haha

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

Anyway there was never any indication this would have better word of mouth than TLJ. PostTrak scores were below TLJ as well and RT is not comparable due to the change in system. People exaggerate the "badness" of TLJ's reception by general audiences anyway. 

We still have IMDB as a constant indicator. TLJ sits at 7.1 and last I checked TROS was at 6.9

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Cinemascore is not irrelevant. Go to r/boxoffice there is table for average legs of movie for each CS. Movies usually fall into that bracket ( exception are there). 

CS is one of the best way to find WOM. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vanilla said:

I think the cinemascore was miss reported for Vanilla Sky. Best film ever, not sure how it got below a A. Haha

Well this seems like a pretty neutral source of opinions about Vanilla Sky ;) 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Well 5/4400 is decent enough to get a representative sample. I agree it's not everything but another piece of evidence with the PostTrak that indicates audience reactions are worse than TLJ. Many in this thread had been arguing the opposite based on little evidence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Its marketing was pretty much honest and the movie was campy / cheesy / dumb fun. It was bad in a good way. Besides, Tom Hardy enjoyed whatever he was doing in the movie. 

It didn't have fantastic domestic legs. It overperformed in China, which ended up boosting the worldwide numbers. 

A 2.66 multiplier is pretty decent though. It's not Joker or Guardians of the Galaxy level but I bet WB wishes that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman had those sort of "not fantastic" legs.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A 2.66 multiplier is pretty decent though. It's not Joker or Guardians of the Galaxy level but I bet WB wishes that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman had those sort of "not fantastic" legs.

Never understood why MoS had mediocre legs. It was very liked movie in my circle. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Never understood why MoS had mediocre legs. It was very liked movie in my circle. 

I like the film but I think nearly everything that happens in the 3rd act destroyed MOS word of mouth. 

I'm not claiming that Skywalker has good word of mouth. The word of mouth could suck.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Sad 1