Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Venom's run will always confuse me. What audiences saw in that movie, I'll never know.

I watched the second half of venom and loved it (started about 40 min into the movie).  That is how I advise watching the movie btw.

As to why the audiences loved that movie, that is easy.  It is new and unique.  There is no movie out there with anything close to the dynamic of venom and eddie (superpowerful parasite talking in your head).

This two individuals in one body thing (with one being very psychopathic) is what sold the movie.

What does $3M give Cats for an opening? Is $10M possible. I watched this today. God, what a mess. The five other people that were there kept cracking up at the movie. Well, I will say this, I haven't seen any film like it. While it is going to bomb, Hooper should rejoice that his film will become a cult classic, and likely 20 years from now, Cats will be more well-known than The King's Speech.

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

8.5x will lead to $503mn. Totally doable.

Where the box office meets the green,

There's a series full of our money.

Hush the accountants, heed no sound

For such a profit, here is found.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 3

People need to consider the type of movie getting a CinemaScore rather than the CinemaScore itself. Major franchise films should only be compared to other major franchise films and B+ for a Star Wars movie which has millions of biased fans that will rush to it opening day is BAD. However, a B+ for a comedy is a good score and B+ for a horror movie is a great score as they are the most divisive type of films. 

• Like 12

Just got back from the movie. It’s decently entertaining but there is too much movie in this movie. That’s the biggest problem here, especially in the first half. This really should have been 2 movies. 

I liked it but for now I’d put it below TFA/TLJ

• Like 3

27 weekend should happen for JUM with 7 Fri

7 (+119%) + 10.8 (+54%) + 9.2 (-15%) = 27 (-54.4%) // 102.8

That weekend drop is not far from ITSV's -53% which added 7.65x it's 2nd weekend. Using 6-6.5x,

102.8 + 27*6.0 = 265

102.8 + 27*6.5 = 278

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

I disagree with anyone who says a sub-$200M opening is good. Look at this franchise. Compare it to other big movies. TFA opened to $247M. $220M for TLJ. Even the lowest opening Avenger film opened to $191M and this may well end up below that. Sure $190 is a good opening for most blockbusters, but for the finale of one of the biggest franchises of all-time, this is bad. Sure, it will make a profit and all that. But, context is everything when judging BO, and if TROS looks to open where it seems it's heading, that's not a good opening, and I am sorry for anyone that disagrees with me, but you're wrong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just got back from the movie. It’s decently entertaining but there is too much movie in this movie. That’s the biggest problem here, especially in the first half. This really should have been 2 movies. 

I liked it but for now I’d put it below TFA/TLJ

same. after Interval I was loving it TBH, the 3rd act was like

Spoiler

kuch bhi ho raha hai. kahin se endgame ki nakal kar rahe hain, kahin harry potter ki.  voldemort ki tarah punarjivit aur maut. kuch bhi.

• Haha 1