Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

2.6+ Fri (2.1 true Fri) will give Cats a 7-8 weekend?

Downsizing had done 5x after a 5 ow (Father Figure's did 5.3x after a 3.3 ow same weekend) Gives Cats 35-40 dom. Prod budget is close to 100 I think. Digital Fur don't come cheap.

Edited by a2k
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, a2k said:

2.6+ Fri (2.1 true Fri) will give Cats a 7-8 weekend?

Downsizing had done 5x after a 5 ow. Gives Cats 35-40 dom. Prod budget is close to 100 I think. Digital Fur don't come cheap.

I doubt Cats gets that multiplier with the reviews and the fact the movie is weird ass and trippy. You have to want to see a weird ass and trippy film to go and see that. There are only so many fans of The Room in the world.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I disagree with anyone who says a sub-$200M opening is good. Look at this franchise. Compare it to other big movies. TFA opened to $247M. $220M for TLJ. Even the lowest opening Avenger film opened to $191M and this may well end up below that. Sure $190 is a good opening for most blockbusters, but for the finale of one of the biggest franchises of all-time, this is bad. Sure, it will make a profit and all that. But, context is everything when judging BO, and if TROS looks to open where it seems it's heading, that's not a good opening, and I am sorry for anyone that disagrees with me, but you're wrong. 

A poorly-reviewed movie opened over $180m, I fail to see how that's bad. It should probably be doing less if it's as bad as people say it is.

7 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

what were those rumors of 300mn budget.

5 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Internet nonsense. The budget is closer to $100M

The Guardian first reported that it seems

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/21/film-trailer-cats-ts-eliot

Although that weirdness has been exhaustively overstated, the teaser still makes for peculiar viewing. Idris Elba, James Corden, Judi Dench: thanks to an estimated budget of £230m and some state-of-the-art CGI, they and a hodgepodge of others have been transmogrified so that their faces top fluffy bodies. Perhaps because they’ve retained their own anatomical features (wait, shouldn’t female cats have six breasts?) the much vaunted “digital fur technology” manages to make them look more naked than if they’d been hairless.

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

A poorly-reviewed movie opened over $180m, I fail to see how that's bad. It should probably be doing less if it's as bad as people say it is.

It's bad for the finale of the Star Wars saga. This would be like if say Avengers 5 opened to under $200M. That would be bad. Actually, that would be much worse seeing how EG opened to $357M, but again, like I said, context is important. And, in context, this opening is shit for this movie. Sure, it's good money, but bad for this movie.

• Like 5

I keep overestimating F2's Friday jumps. Probably should stop comparing it to F1 which was a much more weekend-heavy movie in early Dec.

+260%, +197%, +132% for F1

vs.

+186%, +147%, +79% (est.) for F2

on 6/13/20 Dec.

Sat jumps are much closer, so 50% increase should be the goal for today.

5.1 (+50%)

4.4 (-14%)

12.9M weekend

6 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I keep overestimating F2's Friday jumps. Probably should stop comparing it to F1 which was a much more weekend-heavy movie in early Dec.

+260%, +197%, +132% for F1

vs.

+186%, +147%, +79% (est.) for F2

on 6/13/20 Dec.

Sat jumps are much closer, so 50% increase should be the goal for today.

5.1 (+50%)

4.4 (-14%)

12.9M weekend

Do you think Spies (Wednesday/Dec 25) have a major effect on Frozen?

8x after a 13 weekend will give it 492 dom.

• Like 1

Guys, are you seriously saying that this opening and B+ and rotten reviews are somehow good for the grand finale of the Skywalker Saga? Please. It's going to be profitable in budget/profit ratio sense assuming they didn't go crazier than TLJ budget (317M) . But expectations-wise, context-wise (it's a finale of 9 movie saga) it's a disappointment plain and simple. You can't spin that one. We know that finale tends to get a boost over previous movie. Even split ones such as DH 2 and BD 2 got the boost over Part 1. Not to mention IW and EG. 

B+ score. Time to put "Blame TLJ" to bed. This is all on TROS. You can blame TLJ for lower number of people showing up the opening day, you can blame marketing (They Fly Now and Woo-hoo should have been removed from makreting the moment people started to mock it which was since the first showing of that crap) but you can't blame TLJ for TROS's B+. That's all TROS. People have spoken.

Now the movie can recover with legs or favorable holiday days or whatever but OW cannot be spin as anything but disappointment. They released almost 40 spots for crying out loud! They really wanted 200M OW at least. So...

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

The big winner in the perception game is gonna be BATB imo. TLK didn't beat it by as big an amount as expected and SW9 could follow suit. Frozen2 is likely to come under (which is fine for it and has a great run). BATB's dom was already huge but seems more so now.

• Like 2