Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Guys, are you seriously saying that this opening and B+ and rotten reviews are somehow good for the grand finale of the Skywalker Saga? Please. It's going to be profitable in budget/profit ratio sense assuming they didn't go crazier than TLJ budget (317M) . But expectations-wise, context-wise (it's a finale of 9 movie saga) it's a disappointment plain and simple. You can't spin that one. We know that finale tends to get a boost over previous movie. Even split ones such as DH 2 and BD 2 got the boost over Part 1. Not to mention IW and EG. 

B+ score. Time to put "Blame TLJ" to bed. This is all on TROS. You can blame TLJ for lower number of people showing up the opening day, you can blame marketing (They Fly Now and Woo-hoo should have been removed from makreting the moment people started to mock it which was since the first showing of that crap) but you can't blame TLJ for TROS's B+. That's all TROS. People have spoken.

Now the movie can recover with legs or favorable holiday days or whatever but OW cannot be spin as anything but disappointment. They released almost 40 spots for crying out loud! They really wanted 200M OW at least. So...

It’s because of TLJ and its non story that JJ Abrams had to do this movie... there was no stake/story for the characters coming from previous one. That’s why he had to put that McGuffin at the start of the movie and tried to tell a story which should have started in Ep7 and then continue in Ep8.

I fully understand why RJ did what he did in Ep8, because of JJ Abrams remaking Ep4 in Ep7, RJ knew that we would have an OT again... he wanted to do something different but story wise, there was nothing

Just to say, we can totally blame TLJ for TROS meh reviews, he did what he could to save that poor storyline sequel trilogy but ultimately it was poor. But the one to blame is JJ Abrams because he (and Kasdan) did a poor introduction to that trilogy and for sure, you can feel it when you see « the conclusion » of that saga.

As a standalone movie, TROS is somewhat entertaining with too much fan service (not well done) but as a Star Wars movie (and a conclusion), it was mediocre 

Edited by ArmGunar
  • Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nonsense. That's like saying that Batman v Superman was vindicated by Justice League's failure.

Though I don't like Batman V Superman, this is exactly what I see in this situation. Batman v Superman was a fine movie where the director tried to deconstruct their heroes personality and also give to the movie some soul and identity not replicating what was done before

It's the same with Last Jedi, Rian tried to bring some action with a worth-thinking nature and making characters having major flaws so they could grow in the history. 

Meanwhile, Justice League is a garbage action movie full of cheap fight scenes and not a bit of artistic direction. Is the same to TROS. The studios tried to make the cheapest movie possible in a desperate attempt to pander the fandom and general audience (who are not exactly the most enlightened audience out there) 

It would be funny if their effort in making a trash goofy movie turn into a worse public reception than TLJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, a2k said:

Do you think Spies (Wednesday/Dec 25) have a major effect on Frozen?

8x after a 13 weekend will give it 492 dom.

Certainly not a major effect. Can be a decent counter program for families, but then again, F2 has an older demo than most non-Pixar animations.

I guess F2 will beat its opening weekend.

57 minutes ago, TMP said:

A poorly-reviewed movie opened over $180m, I fail to see how that's bad. It should probably be doing less if it's as bad as people say it is.

What kind of nonsense excuse is that, maybe they should make a better movie so they would get better reviews then. 

Just now, Movie nerd said:

What kind of nonsense excuse is that, maybe they should make a better movie so they would get better reviews then. 

I’m saying that if it’s as bad as the reviews say that it should be making less. I was certainly expecting less when it got the kind of reviews it did.

26 minutes ago, a2k said:

The big winner in the perception game is gonna be BATB imo. TLK didn't beat it by as big an amount as expected and SW9 could follow suit. Frozen2 is likely to come under (which is fine for it and has a great run). BATB's dom was already huge but seems more so now.

Watson's casting sold that movie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I’m saying that if it’s as bad as the reviews say that it should be making less. I was certainly expecting less when it got the kind of reviews it did.

It's still Star Wars episodic movie, people will go to see it at least on opening weekend regardless of reviews.. 

And there are many examples of even worse reviewed movies which turned out to be great success and beat expectations. 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

I think it was more to do with it being a shot-for-shot remake pandering to the nostalgia of a famous and beloved animated classic, considering how well those tend to do

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think it was more to do with it being a shot-for-shot remake pandering to the nostalgia of a famous and beloved animated classic, considering how well those tend to do

I thought nothing would make me pay for watching a Disney live-action remake, but I'm kind of excited for Mulan. They are (mostly) fine movies, you get exactly what you can expect, the same good old story with enhanced visuals. Nothing to be very passionate about, but the nostalgia and the consistent quality are able to sell them to the general public.

BatB (and Lion King / Aladdin) is top tier Disney classic, they were expected to make good money. Still I'm amazed how well they were actually doing.

21 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Yes, this. people were really excited that Emma played Belle. So while she isn't a draw herself, that was a combo of role and actress that excited people. I don't know why some are still trying to deny it. 

Cinderella is much better movie than BatB and Jolie is much bigger star than Emma. Yet those movies did much less than BatB even though Jolie as Maleficent excited people, another character/actress match up and Mal likely wouldn't have done those numbers without her. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Though I don't like Batman V Superman, this is exactly what I see in this situation. Batman v Superman was a fine movie where the director tried to deconstruct their heroes personality and also give to the movie some soul and identity not replicating what was done before

It's the same with Last Jedi, Rian tried to bring some action with a worth-thinking nature and making characters having major flaws so they could grow in the history. 

Meanwhile, Justice League is a garbage action movie full of cheap fight scenes and not a bit of artistic direction. Is the same to TROS. The studios tried to make the cheapest movie possible in a desperate attempt to pander the fandom and general audience (who are not exactly the most enlightened audience out there) 

It would be funny if their effort in making a trash goofy movie turn into a worse public reception than TLJ

I hate to relitigate this issue but Batman v Superman had an unprecedented 1.99 multiplier. Justice League only opened with 94mil because people hated BvS so much. So no Justice League, which got better reviews than BvS, flopping did not help BvS perception. BvS damaged the brand greatly.

• Like 6

How can you be excited for mulan, that garbage looks like china pandering to me. Not to mention that every disney remake has been trash , or the fact that the main actress came out against hkers protests. I'd rather lose both my legs than see that movie.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

I realize this is only one theater , but I went to look to see Star Wars again today and there are shows starting at 9 a.m. and I checked at least until 1:30 p.m. and every show is sold out

Edit - I just went up to 245 and no seats.

Edited by 75Live

I’m not sure if I can blame the decline in OW from TLJ to this movie on TLJ entirely. I say this as someone who actually liked TLJ but I just feel like the film makers didn’t give general audiences enough reasons to care to go out and watch TROS. And maybe that had to do with TLJ and the set up for TROS...I’m not sure. When you compare the way the MCU built up End Game and compare it to the build up of TROS, you’ll see what I’m trying to say. As someone who isn’t a fan of Star Wars but watches the films cause I enjoy them, I’m still asking the question of why should I go watch TROS? I’m not an MCU fanboy by any means but when Infinity War and End Game both came out, I felt the need to go watch both films on OW otherwise I’d be missing something. To use a Star Wars movie as an example, when TFA came out everyone I knew was talking about it so I felt like I needed to watch it. I just don’t get that same feeling with TROS and I’m sure I’m not the only one. And like I can’t explain it entirely. I don’t dislike Star Wars movies obviously but I’m just like meh I’ll catch the movie sometime later. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, commendable said:

How can you be excited for mulan, that garbage looks like china pandering to me. Not to mention that every disney remake has been trash , or the fact that the main actress came out against hkers protests. I'd rather lose both my legs than see that movie.

Mulan looks fantastic. 

• Like 2

OF course TLJ is playing its part.
However I really believe TROS was heading for a 210-220 OW till the premiere impressions and then reviews dropped.

In the presales thread you could see how the final 2-3 days for TROS stalled...it just didn't explode in sales. 

The B- score and the kind of film TROS is is on its head. You cannot blame TLJ for the asspull decisions TROS made. Not when the writer of Batman vs Superman wrote it....it is very obvious where the issues rise from. TROS being a shite film is all on its director and writer.