Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I still think the 2022 movie will happen. They are already planning an extended break (well as extended as we get in the franchise world of today). But I concede it may end up in the weird middle ground where it's simultaneously been too long where SW has left the general public's consciousness and not long enough to get nostalgia for the franchise to build back up.

All down to what that movie actually is. I keep thinking about the direction they could take and it's always the same problems that I see. Anything straying too far might not appeal to the traditional fans and markets and the new markets won't care either due to the brand being dead. Anything too familiar will just bring about a collective shrug from ALL markets.

Maybe try the Ranger Solo approach? A movie in a COMPLETELY different corner of the universe, new characters, new story, no SW brand for Asian markets.

Edited by reddevil19

To give Disney Top 6 DOM for the year, TROS needs $390.5M...at least that should be a VERY easy target to achieve, but in this business, you literally never know...wouldn't it be nuts if the reason Disney doesn't get the top 6 is b/c of the gimme Star Wars movie vs the rest?

Holidays should make it impossible to go this low, but if you want the "someone's getting fired before Xmas is over" scenario, this one would be it...

PS - Week 5, TROS will lose 2000+ theaters...calling it now...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

All down to what that movie actually is. I keep thinking about the direction they could take and it's always the same problems that I see. Anything straying too far might not appeal to the traditional fans and markets and the new markets won't care either due to the brand being dead. Anything too familiar will just bring about a collective shrug from ALL markets.

Maybe try the Ranger Solo approach? A movie in a COMPLETELY different corner of the universe, new characters, new story, no SW brand for Asian markets.

If they wanted to do it KOTOR would be cool, but that seems to be the most basic answer on something that can appeal to the fanbase, still feel familiar enough for the GA with the traditional SW elements, but add enough new freshness to where they can market it differently and get out of the OT's orbit

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

To give Disney Top 6 DOM for the year, TROS needs $390.5M...at least that should be a VERY easy target to achieve, but in this business, you literally never know...wouldn't it be nuts if the reason Disney doesn't get the top 6 is b/c of the gimme Star Wars movie vs the rest?

Holidays should make it impossible to go this low, but if you want the "someone's getting fired before Xmas is over" scenario, this one would be it...

Even with bad reception, so weak legs, the opening would need to be catastrophically low for that to happen. It would definitely be fascinating, but yeah, pretty much impossible. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

They'll probably do a Joker-esque origin story for Palpatine or some shit. They ain't taking risks, not even Old Republic. It'll probably be about the guys who stole the Death Star II plans this time.

A Tv show about Palpatine Origin would be interesting actually...

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

If they wanted to do it KOTOR would be cool, but that seems to be the most basic answer on something that can appeal to the fanbase, still feel familiar enough for the GA with the traditional SW elements, but add enough new freshness to where they can market it differently and get out of the OT's orbit

Problem I can see with that is that KOTOR maintains a lot of familiar elements that are VERY recognizable (Jedi/Sith and lightsabers). Not sure how even clever branding will disguise its Star Wars roots for Asian markets.

Maybe a Solo-style adventure movie, but with no familiar character and actually good? It could be vague enough to be sold as a new sci-fi adventure flick for Asian markets, while being more clear in marketing and subtle references to tie it to the SW universe for all other regions? It would also need to be an under-150 million budget, I feel.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still think this is gonna make more than others here... Think $600M DOM is very possible. Thinking $1.2B is very possible too.

Seems like the type of spectacle that GA eat up. Not too many great other holiday options for the fam outside of Jumanji.

But Jumanji franchise has already shown the ability to eat into an SW film if reception isn't glowing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

They'll probably do a Joker-esque origin story for Palpatine or some shit. They ain't taking risks, not even Old Republic. It'll probably be about the guys who stole the Death Star II plans this time.

Do a Villain Pub style comedy, with all the villains they own, Palpatine being the main character?

14 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Problem I can see with that is that KOTOR maintains a lot of familiar elements that are VERY recognizable (Jedi/Sith and lightsabers). Not sure how even clever branding will disguise its Star Wars roots for Asian markets.

Maybe a Solo-style adventure movie, but with no familiar character and actually good? It could be vague enough to be sold as a new sci-fi adventure flick for Asian markets, while being more clear in marketing and subtle references to tie it to the SW universe for all other regions? It would also need to be an under-150 million budget, I feel.

Err so a star wars without lightsabers and the force is basically a generic sci fi film

No thanks

Don't give a toss about asian markets. Give me a good resonant story with lightsabers and the force please. Have different factions of the force. Do game of thrones esqie epic stuff in an old republic setting boom

Last thing we need is a solo style film LOL

• Like 1

So, Disney saw the reviews, and TMobile just announced another $5 off any movie ticket and no fees deal for their 80 million subscribers next Tuesday:).  Should help perk up all the sales this holiday with their being no cheap Tuesday...I wonder if any studio helped kick in the funds for the deal, or if Atom kicked it all in truly out of the spirit of their hearts:)...

PS - Anyway, it means I'm gonna be doing 3 movies this month:)...

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I mean the obvious answer they could do a Vader movie hunting down Jedi between ROTS and ANH. That would for sure be a massive hit.

It would make money but my god is that the only era where they are allowed to do these movies? You've got thousands of years of world-building and canon and they're restricting everything to one stretch.

I'd be down for a Palpatine origin story done in the style of Wolf of Wall Street or Succession where he is a politically backstabbing rich dude who is fundamentally evil beyond the dark side, not some Joker fake profound moody ass bullshit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Don't give a toss about asian markets. Give me a good resonant story with lightsabers and the force please.

Cool. Diminishing returns and shrinking demos in traditional markets will surely sway Disney to your point of view. Can you please send your CV in to LucasFilm? You're the kind of forward thinker Kennedy loves.