Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

Also it didn't have dat Emma Watson effect :lol:

That seems fair. The actress who plays Ella (Lily Evans) was really good in that film, but...yeah she may not have the same box office draw status as Emma Watson.

Emma Watson is easily recognizable as Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter-franchise. Hence why she could attract many moviegoers to see BATB.

58 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I hate to relitigate this issue but Batman v Superman had an unprecedented 1.99 multiplier. Justice League only opened with 94mil because people hated BvS so much. So no Justice League, which got better reviews than BvS, flopping did not help BvS perception. BvS damaged the brand greatly.

I agree, but overall the decline from TLJ to this one has been around 10 to 15% at least on the first day. It's less than the decline from TFA to TLJ opening days, so does it mean people hated TFA and therefore didn't go to watch TLJ? Of course no

10-15% decline on OW from TLJ to TROS is not good, but surely it's not a disaster as many people are trying to paint. However, if this movie legs turn to be be the same (or worse) than TLJ it means they tried hard to get hide of all TLJ negativity bringing trash fanservice, but ending not receiving a good public reception

Of course, I can't predict the future so I have no idea whether this movie will have better or worse multiplier than TLJ, I was just having a wishful thinking (and using the opportunity to trash on TROS because why not?) 

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

Audience reviews for TROS: 

86% on RT 

6.9 on IMDb 

73% on google 

B+ from cinema score 

I think the important thing for TROS isn’t the just the audience reviews but whether Star Wars fans liked it enough to watch it again because at the end of the day that’s really what’s going to give it the legs that TLJ didn’t have. The average person won’t go watch the movie more than once. It’s the fans that do that. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Audience reviews for TROS: 

86% on RT 

6.9 on IMDb 

73% on google 

B+ from cinema score 

I think the important thing for TROS isn’t the just the audience reviews but whether Star Wars fans liked it enough to watch it again because at the end of the day that’s really what’s going to give it the legs that TLJ didn’t have. The average person won’t go watch the movie more than once. It’s the fans that do that. 

You are right about repeat viewings. But they still need the average moviegoer to make a positive recommendation to their friends. TLJ struggled in this area. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

I agree, but overall the decline from TLJ to this one has been around 10 to 15% at least on the first day. It's less than the decline from TFA to TLJ opening days, so does it mean people hated TFA and therefore didn't go to watch TLJ? Of course no

10-15% decline on OW from TLJ to TROS is not good, but surely it's not a disaster as many people are trying to paint. However, if this movie legs turn to be be the same (or worse) than TLJ it means they tried hard to get hide of all TLJ negativity bringing trash fanservice, but ending not receiving a good public reception

Of course, I can't predict the future so I have no idea whether this movie will have better or worse multiplier than TLJ, I was just having a wishful thinking (and using the opportunity to trash on TROS because why not?) 

There are no opening weekend numbers for Skywalker yet. I'll discuss its drop off when we get the final numbers on Monday. I've never argued that Skywalker doesn't have to stand on its own two feet after opening weekend because it obviously does.

The opening weekend May be deflated too because of how close it is to people's Christmas breaks. I know TFA and TLJ also released close to Christmas break but I don't think it was as close as TROS. I know that I personally can't wait to see it but don't know exactly when I will because I have nearly 2 weeks off from work now? So I'm sure it will have good legs through the next couple of weeks least

Edited by cheesypoofs
Autocorrect error

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And yet I won’t be surprised if this one has better legs than the supposed “A” Last Jedi. Somehow they found a pocket of people that all loved TLJ with no dissent. Hard to believe when you look at the rubbish Christmas legs. 

that's possible because fandom inflates or deflates CS due to their rush, so we aren't getting a GA sample from those scores. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

that's possible because fandom inflates or deflates CS due to their rush, so we aren't getting a GA sample from those scores. 

The biggest critics of TLJ are the fans. Somehow they randomly dodged the fans who might have been pissed about various elements of the film. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The biggest critics of TLJ are the fans. Somehow they randomly dodged the fans who might have been pissed about various elements of the film. 

Well yeah I alone put off a dozen people from watching the film in theaters...

🤣

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

speaking of bland lead actresses daisy ridley is for sure the mark hamil/hayden christensen of this new crew. not gonna see much of her in the future i think.

Hamill had voice roles, Christensen just disappeared.

58 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m not sure if I can blame the decline in OW from TLJ to this movie on TLJ entirely. I say this as someone who actually liked TLJ but I just feel like the film makers didn’t give general audiences enough reasons to care to go out and watch TROS. And maybe that had to do with TLJ and the set up for TROS...I’m not sure. When you compare the way the MCU built up End Game and compare it to the build up of TROS, you’ll see what I’m trying to say. As someone who isn’t a fan of Star Wars but watches the films cause I enjoy them, I’m still asking the question of why should I go watch TROS? I’m not an MCU fanboy by any means but when Infinity War and End Game both came out, I felt the need to go watch both films on OW otherwise I’d be missing something. To use a Star Wars movie as an example, when TFA came out everyone I knew was talking about it so I felt like I needed to watch it. I just don’t get that same feeling with TROS and I’m sure I’m not the only one. And like I can’t explain it entirely. I don’t dislike Star Wars movies obviously but I’m just like meh I’ll catch the movie sometime later. 

This. 

I agree. They’re coming out, but not at quite the same level yet. I was thinking about this earlier. What was the hook for general audiences who had seen most of the stuff they were interested in seemingly resolved by the end of TLJ?

The hook of the first one was the return of Star Wars, it was new, the return of the trinity etc. Then that ending meant they had to come back and see what Luke’s story was. 
Going into TROS what was there that regular joe public needed to know? They’re going to be interested sure, but what to them was outstanding that they needed to find out on day one?

ROTS had the Vader factor. ROTJ the cliffhanger of Han etc. Trilogies in general are normally structured on the second movie ending on a cliffhanger. That’s almost the rule! This ST just isn’t structured like your average trilogy. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1