Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Not trolling but I don't see how this situation compares to BVS / Justice League. BVS outgrossed the previous movie, it increased the popularity of the franchise, it did even better on home video. It was a movie that was loved by fans, hated by critics - The Last Jedi was the complete opposite. That's why it dropped so much from The Force Awakens on box office and home video.

And while Justice League tried to pander to the critics, The Rise of Skywalker is trying to win fans back - that's why on Thursday night previews TROS dropped 11% as opposed to JL that had a massive 54% drop. TROS lost the critics support but looked great to the fans, JL failed to win the critics and to look exciting to the fans. The lesson here is: listen to the audience.

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As said a million times

Tlj is a good or bad movie is ones opinion...

However no doubt for as a film to create an interesting narrative for future films it was a huge failure.

but the problem is that Disney & Lucasfilm treated TLJ as their own BvS. Both of them freaked studios out for whatever reasons. And both WB and Disney think they have to fix/reverse it by the next movie JL/TROS. And the results prove it couldn't work. 

• Like 1

I'm sick of the flat out bizarre lie that BvS was well liked. No well liked movie gets a 1.99 multiplier when it faced no competition for 3 weeks. Most audiences hated BvS. The Last Jedi reception was mixed.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm sick of the flat out bizarre lie that BvS was well liked. No well liked movie gets a 1.99 multiplier when it faced no competition for 3 weeks. Most audiences hated BvS. The Last Jedi reception was mixed.

Felt Dark Phoenix would do a BVS but it managed 2.006x in the end.

Hellboy2019 on the other-hand outdid BVS and "achieved" 1.81x.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That is why it is not really rian Johnsons fault and more the studio heads and Kathleen Kennedy fault.

They are idiotic to have different directors with such conflicting visions and styles.

I recently watched tfa and tlj and it felt I was watching two different film series.

One film was based on lore and curiosity and the other was subversion.

It was doomed to fail.

Either have rian Johnson or jj should made all 3 films.

Their big mistake was trashing Lucas' outline for 7-9. Even if they had separate directors on all 3 movies, at least they would have a unified story. He didn't give them full scripts, so it's not like he was delivering the horrible dialogue we saw in the prequels. They could have gotten some damn good writers to handle the details, but follow Lucas' overall story for the 3 movies. This was an arrogant move by Disney. They believed they did not need his input and it blew up in their face. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disneys-bob-iger-says-george-lucas-felt-betrayed-by-star-wars-plans-1242953

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

If Gal Gadot can have a good career in Hollywood then Daisy Ridley can easily have. 

I mean seriously, Daisy Ridley acts much better than Gadot. 

Gal Gadot has something that Daisy doesn’t though: charisma. Which goes a long way in Hollywood and matters more to execs than acting talent. I’m not trying to knock one or the other because I agree that Daisy is more talented than Gal acting wise but getting roles in Hollywood isn’t just about talent. Gal has the IT factor imo which is why she’s able to sell the role of Wonder Woman so damn well. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Either have rian Johnson or jj should made all 3 films.

And that was impossible because of the quick turnaround.  

Production for for 8/9 were scheduled to start the month after the previous movie was released.  RJ had his script completed before TFA released to fit this timeline.  However, before TLJ was released and all the backlash started, Trevorrow was let go. 

So what we got was a sequel that was written with no knowledge of fans reaction, it's a totally just a continuation to the story. 

Then, because of CT getting fired we don't get a script until long after TLJ's backlash and the script isn't just a continuation of the story.  It was made with the writers fully aware of the reaction the previous movie got.  So then they weren't able to just focus on telling the best story, they had to make sure to not upset the fanbase.  Which to me, is a really shitty way to go about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Gal Gadot has something that Daisy doesn’t though: charisma. Which goes a long way in Hollywood and matters more to execs than acting talent. I’m not trying to knock one or the other because I agree that Daisy is more talented than Gal acting wise but getting roles in Hollywood isn’t just about talent. Gal has the IT factor imo which is why she’s able to sell the role of Wonder Woman so damn well. 

This, I agree with. 

See @Zakiyyah6 there is no need to go personal for everything.

I can assume many things about you because you have IT avatar. 

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I see a baby Yoda Avatar and I assume someone is a Disney sycophant ranting about DC movies casting. My thought is stay butt hurt over Wonder Woman and Aquaman's success. That won't change a thing.

You also have a IT avatar. I like Wonder Woman. I am just stating a fact. There is no need for this. 

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I see a baby Yoda Avatar and I assume someone is a Disney sycophant ranting about DC movies casting. My thought is stay butt hurt over Wonder Woman and Aquaman's success. That won't change a thing.

giphy.gif
Why are you quoting me? I’m on your side lol

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I was about to write the same. Charisma is way more important to make a blockbuster memorable and get people watch it on the big screen. The best is to have both, but it's a rare combination.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As said a million times

Tlj is a good or bad movie is ones opinion...

However no doubt for as a film to create an interesting narrative for future films it was a huge failure.

Maybe that means you can stop saying it now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Gal is also a much better face actor than Daisy. Daisy looks gormless when she’s trying to face act. 

• Haha 1

Movie Distr Gross %YD %LW Thr Per
Thr
Total
Gross
D
- (4) Richard Jewell Warner Bros. $755,000 +84% -51% 2,502 $302 $7,707,518 8
- (12) Playing with Fire Paramount Pi… $48,000 -32% -69% 287 $167 $43,621,059 43
- (-) Joker Warner Bros. $39,000 +1% -71% 201 $194 $333,352,468 78
- (-) Terminator: Dark Fate Paramount Pi… $12,000 -11% -66% 120 $100 $62,162,065 50
  • Like 1