Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

28 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

And that was impossible because of the quick turnaround.  

Production for for 8/9 were scheduled to start the month after the previous movie was released.  RJ had his script completed before TFA released to fit this timeline.  However, before TLJ was released and all the backlash started, Trevorrow was let go. 

So what we got was a sequel that was written with no knowledge of fans reaction, it's a totally just a continuation to the story. 

Then, because of CT getting fired we don't get a script until long after TLJ's backlash and the script isn't just a continuation of the story.  It was made with the writers fully aware of the reaction the previous movie got.  So then they weren't able to just focus on telling the best story, they had to make sure to not upset the fanbase.  Which to me, is a really shitty way to go about it.

The last jedi was not a continuation of the force awakens in how it was written though...

One asked a billion questions...

The next film said your questions dont matter.

Reality is writing a good story after the last jedi was next to impossible due to a fanbase that was in a civil war over the last jedi and the film really left no plot points to look forward to to many.

As I said they should have had one person writing the story...that was the fundamental flaw.

You can have multiple directors but having a person write a middle chapter with a free reign for a franchise deep in lore and myth that is 40 years old is sooo stupid I really wonder how people become studio heads.

As I said attacking rian Johnson is unfair...he did his job.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Both films have their flaws and I like both of them overall but The Last Jedi just seems like a really weird sequel to The Force Awakens. Felt like Johnson ignored that film and just did what he wanted to and then JJ returned the favor this year. Lol

• Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/

3rd Update: Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is seeing an estimated $90M Friday per industry sources, which includes last night’s $40M. This currently puts the J.J. Abrams directed film between $190M-$195M for the weekend, which can’t be dinged especially at this time of year:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Say what you will about the prequels - and I certainly would rather watch any of the Disney movies than be subjected to those again, - but at least they had a coherent vision and continuity. It was just shittily executed.

Has anything ever leaked about Lucas' plan for 7-9?

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-opening-weekend-box-office-cats-bombshell-1202814594/

3rd Update: Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is seeing an estimated $90M Friday per industry sources, which includes last night’s $40M. This currently puts the J.J. Abrams directed film between $190M-$195M for the weekend, which can’t be dinged especially at this time of year:

That's still the old update...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jedi Jat said:

From pre-sales, seems like Saturday will be O/U true Friday. Let's see how it goes. 

Dang, is my $171M gonna end up being right on target?  If it's...

$40M Thurs

$49M Fri

$49M Sat

$33M Sun (-32%)

Then Sunday needs a 32% drop...okay, $171M is still probably too low, but not much at this point...funny if this hits $175M on the nose, since that was the bottom tracking number in the range for the longest time (when it was always $175M-$200M)...

• Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

From pre-sales, seems like Saturday will be O/U true Friday. Let's see how it goes. 

if it doesn't grow from true Fri would need 14% sun drop to hit 180 ow : 40+49+49+42(-14%)=180

Prequels strength was a good story..the flaw was the acting and dialogue.

I would say Lucas would have benefited from someone else directed the films.

I remember hearing Spielberg directed some scenes in rots which is why it was well liked in comparison to the others.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

$40M Thurs

$49M Fri

$49M Sat

$33M Sun (-32%)

Then Sunday needs a 32% drop...okay, $171M is still probably too low, but not much at this point...funny if this hits $175M on the nose, since that was the bottom tracking number in the range for the longest time (when it was always $175M-$200M)...

this weekend sun will be better than tlj's 20% a week behind. not as great as tfa's 11% but somewhere in between imo.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

$40M Thurs

$49M Fri

$49M Sat

$33M Sun (-32%)

Sunday drop should be 10-20 unless toxic WOM. while WOM isn't ideal for this it doesn't seem toxic either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

$40M Thurs

$49M Fri

$49M Sat

$33M Sun (-32%)

Good number of folks should be out of school/work on Monday, so I would think this helps the Sunday number. Maybe a 15% drop or somewhere in that neighborhood. 

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Can I ask the expert, how is it possible that Saturday is not growing at all? 

As per my knowledge, Saturday is the busiest day at the Theatre for opening weekend. 

That B+ CinemaScore isn't helping at all. Fans/fanboys might not be rewatching this movie several times. If a series finale ( the finale for a 40 years old saga ) is getting the worst CinemaScore of the series, then something is wrong.

• Like 1