Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

12 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This has to be extreme frontload. There are very few movies that haven't increased on Saturday. 

true Fri to Sat bump:

TFA +10% (Edit: actually +1.50-2.25% looking at JediJat's info)

TLJ +7% (week behind TFA which imo would keep the true Fri bit lower than otherwise and help Sat bump but it's just a theory)

0% for TROS would not be a shocker but did surprise. Sat bumps from true Fri have been stronger off late probably with earlier previews pushing gross from Fri to Thu and was expecting it to do 5-10% bump.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

I think True Friday of TFA was 66.5-67.5 with 52-53ish previews.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The last jedi was not a continuation of the force awakens in how it was written though...

One asked a billion questions...

A movie asking a billion questions doesn't make it good though.  Maybe that engages the audience for a while, but when the audience doesn't like the answer it always ends poorly.  I mean, have you seen LOST?     

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Prequels strength was a good story..the flaw was the acting and dialogue.

I would say Lucas would have benefited from someone else directed the films.

I remember hearing Spielberg directed some scenes in rots which is why it was well liked in comparison to the others.

He didn't. He worked on some pre-visualization stuff. The movie itself was entirely done by Lucas.

Not that him directing a few scenes could in any way realistically be the reason why it was better liked than the others.

"People hating TLJ" and "TLJ deflating interest in the franchise" aren't mutually inclusive either, like I personally liked it but after seeing it I didn't really have any interest to see how the story would continue, and that seems to have been a common reaction with both people who hated and who loved it. TLJ was so detached from the series and didn't really have a "hook" that would raise anticipation for sequels and I think that's one of the many reasons why there's dwindling interest in the new Star Wars films. All this has obviously been talked to death though. I don't think TROS' performance is a catastrophe but if the trend continues it will be a problem for Disney. I'm not sure how they can restore the brand to a cultural force it was. At this rate my avatar is going to be an accurate depiction of Baby Yoda the only savior.

Also, "meh" at Cats' performance, I was hoping for either better or worse reception. All-around pretty mediocre weekend

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

true Fri to Sat bump:

TFA +10%

TLJ +7% (week behind TFA which imo would keep the true Fri bit lower than otherwise and help Sat bump but it's just a theory)

0% for TROS would not be a shocker but did surprise. Sat bumps from true Fri have been stronger off late probably with earlier previews pushing gross from Fri to Thu and was expecting it to do 5-10% bump.

Friday was boosted though as many were on break. Also Saturday presales posted by @keysersoze123in the tracking thread were a bit weak so I'm assuming Charlie is seeing similar numbers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

There will be more walk ups. It'll go over the true Friday number.

If I’m not mistaken @Jedi Jat considers walk ups when making his predictions. It’s why sometimes predictions are too high because he didn’t expect presales to contribute as much. 

As for TROS don’t know how much more it can grow on walk ups when showtimes are filled as it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i've been outvoted. can't get my family to see Cats tomorrow we're seeing jumanji instead. a non-jellicle christmas for me unfortunately. 

Tell them with Cats you guys will be getting a personal screening of it with a theater all to yourselves. 

• Haha 3