Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Huh? TFA 2B+, RO 1B+, TLJ 1.3B+, ROS 1.2B+ most likely. Mandalorian got folk signing up for D+ in hordes. 

Solo was a setback for sure. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this post?

Merchandise:

https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-marvel-sales-drop-disney

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2018-Annual-Report.pdf

Galaxy's Edge:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-parks-veteran-steps-down-sluggish-star-wars-land-attendance-1242748

Rise of the Resistance:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/does-disneys-new-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-ride-in-orlando-really-live-up-to-the-hype/Content?oid=26443323

• Like 1

Just now, fastclock said:

They need a Feige-like person that controls the overall story of the trilogy. Episode 8 would be a great stand alone, but it’s a horrible middle of the trilogy. And episode 9 is just trying to play catch up.

Exactly! That's why many were suggesting Favreau, Filoni or/and Chow ~

4 hours ago, ArmGunar said:

It’s because of TLJ and its non story that JJ Abrams had to do this movie... there was no stake/story for the characters coming from previous one. That’s why he had to put that McGuffin at the start of the movie and tried to tell a story which should have started in Ep7 and then continue in Ep8.

I fully understand why RJ did what he did in Ep8, because of JJ Abrams remaking Ep4 in Ep7, RJ knew that we would have an OT again... he wanted to do something different but story wise, there was nothing

Just to say, we can totally blame TLJ for TROS meh reviews, he did what he could to save that poor storyline sequel trilogy but ultimately it was poor. But the one to blame is JJ Abrams because he (and Kasdan) did a poor introduction to that trilogy and for sure, you can feel it when you see « the conclusion » of that saga.

As a standalone movie, TROS is somewhat entertaining with too much fan service (not well done) but as a Star Wars movie (and a conclusion), it was mediocre 

You really believe Rian didn’t left anything to JJ work on TROS? 

People overestimate what Rian did, because his choices on that movie didn’t destroy anything and left enough for another movie, i can organize a little plot for IX following exactly what happened in TLJ right now, and it will be a interesting movie because the only thing Rian did is left a possible plot that wouldn’t totally rely on what’s already happened in the franchise.

JJ did what he did not in this movie not because Rian doesn’t left other option, but because LFL are coward and choose to follow the simple and safe way because clearly did something different annoys the fans, and they can’t even did a great movie with all the safeness and nostalgia, that’s why it get a B+ on cinemascore.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

I wonder what it will take to make Star Wars popular in China.

I think a fresh start with new characters could help, but idk, it will still be associated with the ST simply due to the name and as we’ve seen, the Chinese don’t care for Star Wars, or at least for the ST.

14 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Hope Saturday trends upward. If it does below 180m beating Rogue One domestic might not happen. Eek.

Wow! But if it hits 180-185m is 500m domestically possible? Or unlikely?

I know this is a domestic discussion, but imagine if it falls below Joker/The Last Jedi at the "other" box-office 😂

Edited by Bart Allen

7 minutes ago, Feanor said:

I think a fresh start with new characters could help, but idk, it will still be associated with the ST simply due to the name and as we’ve seen, the Chinese don’t care for Star Wars, or at least for the ST.

For starters, better action. China complained that action was low-budget TV show level. 

Re: TROS opening. Too early for under 500M projections. that ain't gonna happen with holidays coming. C'mon, guys, be objective. I hate this movie but lets get real. Holidays will drive the boxoffice so it'll hold well for that type of a movie does in this period plus it has better days than TLJ last year. 

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Space sci-fi also just doesn't fare that well in China compared to other genres.  

• Like 1