Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

48 minutes ago, Feanor said:

I wonder what it will take to make Star Wars popular in China.

I think a fresh start with new characters could help, but idk, it will still be associated with the ST simply due to the name and as we’ve seen, the Chinese don’t care for Star Wars, or at least for the ST.

The problem is what adjustments can they make to increase it's appeal in emerging markets that won't alienate a sizeable chunk of the fanbsase in it's traditional footprint that is resistant to sweeping changes in the franchise.

I think The Old Republic is probably the best approach to that.  A lot of fans are begging for it and it would provide a good opportunity for some broader changes to the visual palette and a narrative dynamic other than "the beleaguered underdog vs the oppressive super power".

6 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

SW performance in China is very weird given what usually succeeds there. I've seen the reasons, but it doesn't seem like any of them fully account for declines on this level.

But how come The Force Awakens made so much? Well not soo much but still over $100 million

But either way, you know you're in trouble when Terminator: Dark Fate grosses more than Rise of Skywalker in China ~

Edited by Bart Allen

Just now, Menor said:

Guardians 1 and 2 are highly rated in China.  So you can't blame the space opera genre for the performance of Star Wars there. In fact although the market was very small in 2005 ROTS did pretty well for a Hollywood blockbuster at that time. 

Exactly, so was it simply TLJ backlash?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Tsui Hark for an epic trilogy. Chow for a Star Wars sitcom on Disney+.

Minority opinion but had a lot more fun with his Detective Dee trilogy than I did with the Disney Star Wars trilogy. Certainly pushes boundaries of the imagination. And, Dee is just much cooler than any of these Jedi.

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

4 billion property + well over a billion in production + whatever are the marketing costs. Let's say 5,5 billion.

From the box office you have 5,5 billion, but Disney would get around 50-60% domestic and 30% OS (cause someone's gotta pay for Buena Vista).  It's definitely lower than 3 billion.

Now merch and licensing, that can easily surpass the box office sales, but you have to account that Disney would get even less there, as for the most part they are not involved in the production/distribution, and the profits have to be shared with other giants like Hasbro and EA.

The theme parks have not been very successful, and the streaming service is definitely not just star wars, so it's not easy to measure.

Compared to other acquisitions like Pixar and Marvel, it's just not justifying the 4 billion investment, granted always that it's on decline.

yeah, four out of their five movies in 4 years all making over a billion dollars each. Just not worth the investment at all.  

this afternoon Iger gets a call...

”Hello Sir, we can confirm the movie made $90 million yesterday”

Iger - “is that all? Don’t know why I bothered buying it”

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f294fa91cb0c0e9044de6

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

But how come The Force Awakens made so much? Well not soo much but still over $100 million

But either way, you know you're in trouble when Terminator: Dark Fate grosses more than Rise of Skywalker in China ~

Pretty simple: record breaking numbers plus excellent reception everywhere. This created curiosity in newer markets as well. Not to mention a big marketing push by Disney.

The whole thing started off big due to hype, and then fell flat right away. TFA wasn't popular at all, neither was Rogue One, thought that one got at least a bit of a boost due to starring two chinese actors. Everything that followed already suffered from that, and didn't do anything to reverse course on the opinion of the franchise either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Guardians 1 and 2 are highly rated in China.  So you can't blame the space opera genre for the performance of Star Wars there. In fact although the market was very small in 2005 ROTS did pretty well for a Hollywood blockbuster at that time. 

In China people love handsome male leads, and ROTS didn't exactly lack in that regard thanks to Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Downward trend started with the bad rating of TFA there. The Disney films have been somewhat reliant on OT nostalgia and that obviously won't work in China.

Oh my :(

Well if the MCU has only been about for about 11 years, there's still hope I guess ~ But yeah this'll have to be a complete overhaul, to say the very least.

4 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Pretty simple: record breaking numbers plus excellent reception everywhere. This created curiosity in newer markets as well. Not to mention a big marketing push by Disney.

The whole thing started off big due to hype, and then fell flat right away. TFA wasn't popular at all, neither was Rogue One, thought that one got at least a bit of a boost due to starring two chinese actors. Everything that followed already suffered from that, and didn't do anything to reverse course on the opinion of the franchise either.

Woah I see :( Thanks for that explanation :3

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

GOTG are superhero movies and part of the MCU, totally different fan base as proven in China and many other countries.