Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yes, this. people were really excited that Emma played Belle. So while she isn't a draw herself, that was a combo of role and actress that excited people. I don't know why some are still trying to deny it. 

Cinderella is much better movie than BatB and Jolie is much bigger star than Emma. Yet those movies did much less than BatB even though Jolie as Maleficent excited people, another character/actress match up and Mal likely wouldn't have done those numbers without her. 

This. 

Watson feels like she belongs in sci-fi and fantasy blockbusters.

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

GOTG are superhero movies and part of the MCU, totally different fan base as proven in China and many other countries.

Not every Marvel movie is liked in China. BP didn't have high ratings. Yet GOTG movies have some of the highest ratings of all the MCU. So space opera can clearly work with Chinese audiences if done in the right way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I just got back from watching it.

This was the funniest Star Wars Film ive seen since Revenge of the Sith.

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I laughed out of despair when watching it, so funny I guess 

The question is: will you both watch it again to help Kathleen Kennedy keep her position at Lucasfilm and Disney? 😂

Just now, The Panda said:

I laughed out of despair when watching it, so funny I guess 

The thing is i am hesitant to call it bad. Or good. Its just ... funny.

Im gratefull it exists. I didnt have a bad time watching it for sure. There are some great moments in it. And some bafflingly bad ones. Kinda like the prequels. It also feels like an anime. Its the anime of Star Wars films.

I dont know im just smiling like an idiot right now lol.

This Trilogy is so fascinating.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, therana said:

In China people love handsome male leads, and ROTS didn't exactly lack in that regard thanks to Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen.

Rots was more like an anime that is why...

Edited by Lordmandeep

I am Chinese and I only speak for myself. SW is one of the few franchises that I just can’t comprehend. I grew up watching hongkong action movies including Wuxia fantasy movies, and I think the choreography for those movies are top-notch. In comparison, lightsabers fights are very silly and clumsy to me. Also, the concept of force is not appealing to me. Have you ever watched a Chinese Wuxia movie like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in which people suddenly fly on bamboos and walls like gravity doesn’t exist? I think the way westerners react to that kind of scenes (wtf is going on?) is how I react to the force concept. 

All in all, the elements that define SW movies happen to be those that keep me away from SW. GoGT and interstellar don’t have those and therefore I love them, and they are highly rated and well received in China. But is SW willing to pander to Chinese market by abandoning these elements? Of course it won’t coz that’s what SW is about. So my conclusion is SW in pretty much hopeless in China (I just realized I said I only speak for myself but now I am generalizing to the whole market)

• Like 18

I've seen no comments here about this movie. Keep it simple for me.

Do people generally like the movie or not? More or less so than TLJ?

This supposed $194 million opening is that better or worse than people were expecting? 

Where are people expecting this to finish? More than Rogue One? Surely less than TLJ?

15 minutes ago, LeoC said:

I am Chinese and I only speak for myself. SW is one of the few franchises that I just can’t comprehend. I grew up watching hongkong action movies including Wuxia fantasy movies, and I think the choreography for those movies are top-notch. In comparison, lightsabers fights are very silly and clumsy to me. Also, the concept of force is not appealing to me. Have you ever watched a Chinese Wuxia movie like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in which people suddenly fly on bamboos and walls like gravity doesn’t exist? I think the way westerners react to that kind of scenes (wtf is going on?) is how I react to the force concept. 

All in all, the elements that define SW movies happen to be those that keep me away from SW. GoGT and interstellar don’t have those and therefore I love them, and they are highly rated and well received in China. But is SW willing to pander to Chinese market by abandoning these elements? Of course it won’t coz that’s what SW is about. So my conclusion is SW in pretty much hopeless in China (I just realized I said I only speak for myself but now I am generalizing to the whole market)

I guess this argument applied for the entire Asia region

• Like 1

For me and a few family members and friends, we feel this is the best movie of this trilogy. Now for some that may not mean much, which I understand, but I do think it was good and this trilogy was overall pretty good and I think it got better as it went along

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 4

This movie just signified the idea that the ST had absolutely no plan, and was just all over the place.  This movie didn't gel with TFA or TLJ at all IMO.  Felt more like a standalone.  They had more new shit in the first 30 minuets of this film than in either of those.  I was like what the hell is actually going on right now.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Have you ever watched a Chinese Wuxia movie like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in which people suddenly fly on bamboos and walls like gravity doesn’t exist? I think the way westerners react to that kind of scenes (wtf is going on?) is how I react to the force concept. 

I'm western, and I find this pretty cool though. Alwaws loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

10 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

This movie just signified the idea that the ST had absolutely no plan, and was just all over the place.  This movie didn't gel with TFA or TLJ at all IMO.  Felt more like a standalone.  They had more new shit in the first 30 minuets of this film than in either of those.  I was like what the hell is actually going on right now.  

They didn’t have a plan, but it does just about all fit together - although the tone of how different the films are is the most jarring. 

As for the opening 30 minutes - it moves at an insane pace, but it all makes perfect sense. Hope you get more out of it when you see it again. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

So the Avengers movies got respectively:

EG: 357M

IW: 258M

TA: 207M

AOU: 191M

While the mainline Star Wars films got:

TFA: 247M

TLJ: 220M

TROS: Probably in the 180-190M range.

Tbh, this just makes me more impressed on how Ultron did despite the fact it dropped off pretty hard domestically from the Avengers.

• Like 3