Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It would make money but my god is that the only era where they are allowed to do these movies? You've got thousands of years of world-building and canon and they're restricting everything to one stretch.

I'd be down for a Palpatine origin story done in the style of Wolf of Wall Street or Succession where he is a politically backstabbing rich dude who is fundamentally evil beyond the dark side, not some Joker fake profound moody ass bullshit.

I agree with the frustration with setting everything in that era,. But if we are talking about safe bets that would for sure be one. Would appeal massively to both fans and the GA and you could do it at a lower budget level realistically (like 150 or so).

I would love a very hammy young Palpy movie.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt

Just now, The Futurist said:

SOme of the scenes of ROS would have deserved the musical treatment really.

Oh, Palpatine wailing about his evilness.

The joy.

After they nominated TLK for animated, the HFPA missed a trick by not nominating TROS for Best Musical Or Comedy? Full on troll Disney...

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

"Are you having any imperial thoughts? ALL I HAVE are imperial thoughts."

I used to think the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise was a tragedy. But now, I realize, it's a comedy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of overreaction about the 'death' of Star Wars on here and everywhere. Yes Disney fucked up the sequel trilogy, but is it any worse than the prequel trilogy?. TROS is still going to be a huge grosser by most blockbuster standards, and The Mandalorian is currently blowing away SW fans, and the single player only SW Jedi Fallen Order just had the biggest launch of any EA Star Wars game yet, which says a lot when we are talking 20mil sales just for Star Wars Battlefront.

Sure Star Wars isnt what it once was. It was almost mythical at one point. Even just saying 'Star Wars' felt different to any other film. Those times have gone, but its still a huge franchise, and when its done right, its still capable of being the biggest film of all time.

Imo Disney did well with Rogue One, even Solo i felt was a good film. The Mandalorian has been a great tv series. They have fucked up Ep. 7-9 to an extent, but Star Wars is strong enough to recover. A KOTOR trilogy would do amazing imo.

And i also believe that they will greenlight episodes 10-12 in the future, once negativity surrounding this trilogy has died down.

12 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Err so a star wars without lightsabers and the force is basically a generic sci fi film

No thanks

Don't give a toss about asian markets. Give me a good resonant story with lightsabers and the force please. Have different factions of the force. Do game of thrones esqie epic stuff in an old republic setting boom

Last thing we need is a solo style film LOL

Wholeheartedly disagree. So much can be mined in this universe. No need for lightsabers. 

But, at a very minimum, if the lightsabers are there PLEASE include force sensitive beings that are neither Jedi or Sith in new projects. PLEASE. Sigh. Very much over everything Skywalker, Jedi and Sith.

Just now, Krissykins said:

I just realised the last Star Wars fell $800m worldwide from its predecessor. 

For some reason I only knew about the big domestic drop. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if this fell again. 

That’s what many of us foreigners have been saying all year long and we were called haters. The audience erosion has been even worse overseas. The fact that Solo couldn’t even pull a $200M international gross just tells you of the state of the brand in certain markets.

Put me in the camp that's not wholly convinced it's possible to make a breakout SW movie without heavy lip-service to already iconic characters. 95% of any talk I've seen concerning Mandalorian, for instance, has been about baby Yoda. 

I'd certainly welcome them trying, though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just realised the last Star Wars fell $800m worldwide from its predecessor. 

For some reason I only knew about the big domestic drop. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if this fell again. 

TLJ only fell $750m WW  😛

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Wholeheartedly disagree. So much can be mined in this universe. No need for lightsabers. 

But, at a very minimum, if the lightsabers are there PLEASE include force sensitive beings that are neither Jedi or Sith in new projects. PLEASE. Sigh. Very much over everything Skywalker, Jedi and Sith.

I'd want to see variation on force users. But hold the light sabers. I think I remember seeing this somewhere - can't remember if it was one of the Red Letter Media reviews - and it's a point I've always agreed with: light sabers only make sense for humanoid species that don't have fucking tentacles, weird limbs and bodies, etc.

So, bring in some new force users, with some varied weapons as well.

If GOTG1 worked for MCU then new characters can work in a franchise as old and established as SW. It even opened with a bang in 2014 and huge number of people went to see it even before wom got around.

• Like 2

Even with the critical slump and backlash, the sequel trilogy will be one of the most successful trilogies of all time financially.

And I think it will be one of the most discussed when it comes to mishandling a fandom.

Lots can be learned from all this but I'm still not sure what direction Disney takes with SW in the future.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I'd want to see variation on force users. But hold the light sabers. I think I remember seeing this somewhere - can't remember if it was one of the Red Letter Media reviews - and it's a point I've always agreed with: light sabers only make sense for humanoid species that don't have fucking tentacles, weird limbs and bodies, etc.

So, bring in some new force users, with some varied weapons as well.

Yes. This too. Something that makes perfect sense. Something we've somehow never seen just yet.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Put me in the camp that's not wholly convinced it's possible to make a breakout SW movie without heavy lip-service to already iconic characters. 95% of any talk I've seen concerning Mandalorian, for instance, has been about baby Yoda. 

I'd certainly welcome them trying, though. 

I feel that should be the point of Disney + but all I keep reading is we are getting series about Obi-Wan which is fine since that one is the fans wanted all along instead of Solo. However why is the guy from Rogue one getting a series?