Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Asia is right. When you grow up on Wuxia, SW saber fights are gonna leave you cold. And they are the series money shots. So you either Wuxia up the saber fights or create something else to wow the crowd. 

Whenever Disney bought Star Wars I'd hoped they'd borrow from the best Wuxia flicks just as Lucas borrowed from the best samurai flicks.

Some of the great, somewhat more recent Wuxia flick dwarf the new Star Wars in invention, imagination, action and mysticism. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Whenever Disney bought Star Wars I'd hoped they'd borrow from the best Wuxia flicks just as Lucas borrowed from the best samurai flicks.

Some of the great, somewhat more recent Wuxia flick dwarf the new Star Wars in invention, imagination, action and mysticism. 

very true! I think that's one thing that ST failed to do. It didn't move beyond OT conography and it feels like made by people who watched only SW and not what inspired SW or stuff that could inspire SW. For example, moving from samurai throwbacks to Wuxia ones since that genre replaced samurai one in relevance/popularity with modern audience. They could have done it not to pander to China but because it makes logical progression and fits in universe and yet nada, zip, zilch. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's pretty fascinating (and sad as a fan) how much Star Wars has failed to capture the OS market since TFA. Like this year it seems Endgame, TLK, Frozen 2, FFH, Joker and Captain Marvel will all comfortably outgross TROS in OS markets. And it's not just cause of China too.

don’t count us in the UK with the rest of OS trends. Star Wars just as huge over here as in the States. We’ll post the biggest OS number for the weekend, and final total. 

2 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

So the Avengers movies got respectively:

EG: 357M

IW: 258M

TA: 207M

AOU: 191M

While the mainline Star Wars films got:

TFA: 247M

TLJ: 220M

TROS: Probably in the 180-190M range.

Tbh, this just makes me more impressed on how Ultron did despite the fact it dropped off pretty hard domestically from the Avengers.

Focusing just on ows would be unfair for a Dec movie imo when compared to TA.

TA shows higher avg ow with more deviation (TA4's 357)

SW shows higher avg dom with more deviation (SW7's 937)

OW
  TA SW
  357.00 248.00
  258.00 220.00
  208.00 185.00
avg 253.50 217.67
dev 74.63 31.56
  DOM
  TA SW
  860.00 937.00
  679.00 620.00
  623.00 525.00
avg 655.50 694.00
dev 164.97 215.74

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Asia is right. When you grow up on Wuxia, SW saber fights are gonna leave you cold. And they are the series money shots. So you either Wuxia up the saber fights or create something else to wow the crowd. 

I wouldn’t say Asia as the lightsaber battles are based of Samurai, but yes compared to the unique action of a film like say Shadow, Star Wars does feel pretty plain.

I guess the same could be said about generic action films compared to the likes of The Raid, just nowhere near as good. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

So the Avengers movies got respectively:

EG: 357M

IW: 258M

TA: 207M

AOU: 191M

While the mainline Star Wars films got:

TFA: 247M

TLJ: 220M

TROS: Probably in the 180-190M range.

Tbh, this just makes me more impressed on how Ultron did despite the fact it dropped off pretty hard domestically from the Avengers.

But the second weekends were something - especially for The Force Awakens:

The Force Awakens:

Opened to $248 million domestically, and then dropped -40% in its second-weekend to $149 million.

The Last Jedi

Opened to $220 million domestically, and then dropped -68% in its second-weekend to $72 million

I'm just curious whether in its second weekend would it be possible for The Rise of Skywalker to drop more than -70%?

• Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Zhang Yimou for the next Star Wars, with complete creative freedom of course.

Shadow-940526181-large.jpg

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

I wouldn’t say Asia as the lightsaber battles are based of Samurai, but yes compared to the unique action of a film like say Shadow, Star Wars does feel pretty plain.

I guess the same could be said about generic action films compared to the likes of The Raid, just nowhere near as good. 

Just watched Shadow. Big thumbs up here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's pretty fascinating (and sad as a fan) how much Star Wars has failed to capture the OS market since TFA. Like this year it seems Endgame, TLK, Frozen 2, FFH, Joker and Captain Marvel will all comfortably outgross TROS in OS markets. And it's not just cause of China too.

Exactly! I mean not to sound repetitive with my praise for Joker, but you'd probably be called crazy if you said at the start of the year that Joker would not only surpass The Last Jedi in various markets worldwide, but its international box-office total and quite possibly that of The Rise of Skywalker overseas ~ Especially with the R-rating and controversy, for example.

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

The Force Awakens:

Opened to $248 million domestically, and then dropped -40% in its second-weekend to $149 million.

The Last Jedi

Opened to $220 million domestically, and then dropped -68% in its second-weekend to $72 million

I'm just curious whether in its second weekend would it be possible for The Rise of Skywalker to drop more than -70%?

Last Jedi had Xmas Eve in its second weekend (Sunday) so I would say no. It should do pretty great for the next couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, LeoC said:

I am Chinese and I only speak for myself. SW is one of the few franchises that I just can’t comprehend. I grew up watching hongkong action movies including Wuxia fantasy movies, and I think the choreography for those movies are top-notch. In comparison, lightsabers fights are very silly and clumsy to me. Also, the concept of force is not appealing to me. Have you ever watched a Chinese Wuxia movie like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in which people suddenly fly on bamboos and walls like gravity doesn’t exist? I think the way westerners react to that kind of scenes (wtf is going on?) is how I react to the force concept. 

All in all, the elements that define SW movies happen to be those that keep me away from SW. GoGT and interstellar don’t have those and therefore I love them, and they are highly rated and well received in China. But is SW willing to pander to Chinese market by abandoning these elements? Of course it won’t coz that’s what SW is about. So my conclusion is SW in pretty much hopeless in China (I just realized I said I only speak for myself but now I am generalizing to the whole market)

To Asian countries, SW is like in another time 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Last Jedi had Xmas Eve in its second weekend (Sunday) so I would say no. It should do pretty great for the next couple of weeks. 

Whoops, yeah I forgot about the Christmas Eve ~

But obviously it depends on whether it has the legs.

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

The Force Awakens:

The Last Jedi

It would take lots of theaters dropping showings/screens (while keeping it on their biggest one as required) to have any chance at 60%, let alone 70%...remember, TLJ had Xmas Eve on the Sunday, so that disproportionately increased the 2nd weekend drop...it probably would have been in the low 60%s with a regular day...

And this is also gonna open $30M lower minimum, so similar 2nd weekend totals would be a lower % drop...if you think they both had the same "holding off for 2nd weekend" fans to avoid the insanity, for example, they would deliver a better weekend drop to TROS...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It would take lots of theaters dropping showings/screens (while keeping it on their biggest one as required) to have any chance at 60%, let alone 70%...remember, TLJ had Xmas Eve on the Sunday, so that disproportionately increased the 2nd weekend drop...it probably would have been in the low 60%s with a regular day...

And this is also gonna open $30M lower minimum, so similar 2nd weekend totals would be a lower % drop...if you think they both had the same "holding off for 2nd weekend" fans to avoid the insanity, for example, they would deliver a better weekend drop to TROS...

Thanks, TwoMisfits :3

So it would be an impossibility for it to hit a 60/70% drop at this rate ~

• Astonished 1